Protein Powder...Can't have dairy

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in the 70s when I used to work out heavily I would use soy-based protein powder. I am not able to have even a trace of dairy because it makes me extremely sick. No whey, and no milk proteins.

I've started working out again, and my question is, do they still make soy-based protein powder (I only see whey based in the store), and if so, is it comparable in quality to whey-based?

Thanks.

Joneswilliamsc

Reaction score
Well i have never heard about the protein powder which you have mention but i think that hemp seed protein powder has more protein in it. According to me the best one is Nutiva's Hemp Protein Powder.

Mr. Bond

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah soy protein is still made. It's not quite as good as whey in my book but it sounds like you don't have an option. It will definitely help you out if you're not getting much protein.

Just go to GNC and pick up some.

Bladerunner

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is what you're looking for man:

http://www.vitacost.com/Optimum-Nutrition-100-Egg-Protein

Egg protein. The only thing whey has on it is that your body absorbs it slightly faster, but other than that it's technically superior and doesn't have any of soy's estrogen overdose. Read the reviews on that page; many people who have dairy allergies say they use and like it.

Also comes in chocolate from the same site.

old married dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want an alternative to dairy, try goat's milk. It doesn't cause lactose intolerance like cow's milk will + hormones and antibiotics & such are not used in it. Goat's milk is all I will drink anymore. I don't think there are any protein powders out there that are goat milk based however.