Problems working out my Lats

Reaction score
I can't feel any soreness EVER in my lats the next day after working them out(I get every other muscle sore though). I can't even really feel them when I'm working them out. I do T Bar rows and Lat Pulldowns but it doesn't seem to be hitting my lats? Any suggestions on how to work out the back better because my arms always give in first:(

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just did my back day yesterday, and granted, it hardly ever gets sore, but I do get it sometimes. Here's what I go for.

3 sets of 10 pull ups, with a pretty wide grip.
3 sets of seated one handed cable rows;.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBOneArmRow.html

3 sets of bent over rows.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVInclineRow.html

and 3 sets of vertical lat press downs, they're weird, but pretty tough if you do them right. It's kind of like the following link, except my buddy and I do them standing up, with the lat pull down bar. You stand, face the bar, grip it pretty close, and push it down until your arms hit your sides, but keep your shoulders back...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBShoulderExtension.html

We've been experimenting with a week of 10 x 10 x 10 and then a week of 10 x 8 x 6. The 10 x 10 x 10 will give you that soreness you want, but it doesn't seem to make the gains go up as fast. However, when you do gain with a 10x8x6 workout, you'll be able to maintain it easily b ecause of the added endurance of the 10x10x10. At least that's our hypothesis so far...

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your form may be off, which is why your arms end up sore and not your back. If its not this, the weight you are using might be too light for you.

Try this for a few weeks-

-5 sets chinups (palms facing you) for 6-8 reps. If you can do more than this many reps easily, apply some weight or use a pulldown machine.

-5 sets dumbell rows. One side at a time, heavy weight for 6 reps.

gym_addict

Don Juan
Reaction score
also, make sure when working your back in movements such as lat pull downs or bent over rows that you pinch your shoulder blades together.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr.Hash wid da Stash
I can't feel any soreness EVER in my lats the next day after working them out(I get every other muscle sore though). I can't even really feel them when I'm working them out. I do T Bar rows and Lat Pulldowns but it doesn't seem to be hitting my lats? Any suggestions on how to work out the back better because my arms always give in first:(
Pullups and chins (weighted if you're strong enough) until your arms are about to fall off should do the trick. Works for me everytime :) And then after your arms feel like they are about to fall off, do dumbbell bentover rows and/or lat pulldowns until your arms are so worked, you'd have a hard time shifting a manual transmission into gear! Then you will wake up sore :)