possible to gain 10lb in a month?

mixmasterbert

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think my body is at a good stage to start packin on some mass. I would like to gain ten pounds in a months time. I plan on eating 6-8 times a day and working out 4 times a week. minimal/light cardio. In your experience whats the best supplements to take? I have some whey tech protein I started taking. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for a short cut but I would Like to kick start my body back to the size/weight I was a few years ago before i had health issues and stoped weighttraining . I seem to have good genetics judging from my younger brother and father who seems to have fast gains and recovery time. I truly think its possible for me with some guidance from you gurus.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, you're just getting back into resistance training?

When you first start, provided you eat right, you'll have some good newbie gains in muscle mass. The newbie 'grace' period usually goes away in 4-6 weeks.

Warboss Alex has posted some good workout routines for starting out. I follow something that's a little bit like his suggestions, found here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551

As far as nutrition, that's an area I leave to the other guys here. You should read DIESEL's Bulking Guide while you're waiting for more experienced people to respond. Also read A-Unit's sticky post.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats your body weight?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Protein= 320
Carbs= 300-400 (depending on how you respond to them, and these are good slow carbs unless its post workout)
Fat- 10-20g of fish oil, plus whatever fat comes with the protein and carbs

Water- 1 gallon

Get to the dinner table!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Protein= 320
Carbs= 300-400 (depending on how you respond to them, and these are good slow carbs unless its post workout)
Fat- 10-20g of fish oil, plus whatever fat comes with the protein and carbs

Water- 1 gallon

Get to the dinner table!
I think this is a bit overkill personally...but i like it!!! ;) ... at 160 ish I'd suggest keeping calories at close to 4000/per day. ~300 g of protein is killer...but tough to hit!

Quite frankly however, I believe weight is a highly "over-rated" thing to train for. Unless you're a competitive athlete in a sport where weight is important, I'd much rather train for appearance than simply weight, because that is what I'm essentially paid for. To put illustrate, I'm currently 170 lbs at 5'8" (bodyfat%??? but my waist is 29" w/ a 6 pack)... I think I look way better than I did when I was 180-185. Most people say I loook bigger now than i did then. Looking big is all about illusion! Ei: you'll look good if you have say 44" chest w/ 34" waist, but you'll look better if you have 42" chest w/ 28-29" waist.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's possible, but the quality of the weight will not be good. I agree with Fuglydude about the illusion of being big. As long as you get 1.5-2g protein per lb of bodyweight, eat around 400-500 calories above your maintenance, eat good sources of carbs, EFAS, and you're training balls to the wall the weight/size/strength will come.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can gain 10 lbs in one month, but at least 5 or 6 lbs of that is going to be fat. Your goal is unreasonable.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love how all you guys are saying "it's possible it's not possible" blah blah without knowing anything about the guy's genetics. It may well be perfectly possible for him to do it or even gain more. In the past I've gained that much in a month without adding fat.

However I don't think people should aim to gain x weight. Just eat, lift and see what happens. Your best gains will come when you don't worry about how much you're gaining.