Play-fighting

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im probably the strongest out of my group of friends, and floormates, can outlift many of them by far, and im fairly tall at 5'11. The problem is you know when you and your friends are goofing around, and getting in playfights(where you dont throw face shots, or hard punches) just grapple mostly. I actually find myself losing to much weaker people in these fights, i never know what to do. i basically just go for a headlock, i dont know any pins or choke outs or anything. These people who are weaker than me, can keep up with me in a fight even though im much stronger for some reason. IT doesnt make sense how someone who i can probably double there bench, squats or deads, can keep up with me in a fight

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 4-5 days a week for the last 6 months and I've learned from it that raw strength is not as important as technique and conditioning. I get beaten by guys smaller than me all the time.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As soon as you get them into that head lock, pull hard into their neck. Than drop to the floor on your back and wrap your legs around their body. They will tap pretty damn quick............ or take a nap. You don't need to out muscle them, just out think them.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True power and strength vs a BJJ fighter can often prevent them from pulling off arm-bars and locks. So can technique but dont discount an extremely powerful / strong fighter vs a skinny one with lots of techniques. Both have advantages.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the tips, but this is considering no one has any martial arts or fighting background. Just when i fight with my floormates, i want a way to make them tap out really quickly and no not to fu.ck around

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look up...

Rear Naked Choke
Armbar
Ankle Lock
Hip Toss

The Hip Toss isn't a submission move, but if you're as strong as you say you are, nothing screams "Don't f*ck with me" like tossing somebody around.

beercan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont condone violence at all, but a tip when they get close you can push their head down and start firing a volley of knees to head.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
beercan said:
I dont condone violence at all, but a tip when they get close you can push their head down and start firing a volley of knees to head.

LOL remeber its PLAY fighting

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, weightlifting =/= martial arts.

You think strength training alone will make you a better baller or golfer than another guy? If not, then why would you assume it will assure you of being a better fighter? If you want to become a better fighter, you need to train its sports-specific skills. Not just pump your max BP up, lol.

I've studied martial arts for awhile now and the more sophisticated your understanding, the more you rely upon skill and less upon brute strength.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Charm said:
True power and strength vs a BJJ fighter can often prevent them from pulling off arm-bars and locks. So can technique but dont discount an extremely powerful / strong fighter vs a skinny one with lots of techniques. Both have advantages.
I study BJJ, and I can say with a lot of confidence that, unit for unit, technique beats strength any day of the week.

I have these two classmates. One (Sami) is a second stripe blue belt. He's 225lbs of muscle, and is a three-time Grand Champion BJJ fighter of Ontario for his weight class and skill level, or something like that. The other (Jonathan) is a second stripe purple belt. He's a 125 pound Asian dude, not a total skeleton, but still pretty skinny overall.

Even with a 100 pound weight disadvantage, as well as a significant height disadvantage, I've still seen Jonathan tap Sami out *tons* of times, usually without much effort. Jonathan is just too technical for Sami. Sami is certainly very techincal himself, but Jonathan's technique is that much better that, no matter how much force Sami tries to use, Jonathan always has an answer to it. I've asked my Professor about this, and he definitely agrees that good technique is much more valuable than sheer brute force.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, and btw, I would not recommend looking up the Arm Bar and Ankle Lock techniques, because they are more complex than the Rear Naked Choke and the Hip Toss, and if you are not personally taught how to do them properly by someone who knows his stuff, you'll do it very wrong.

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you ask me, its all belief and willpower.

Any move CAN be escaped from or reversed. its just a matter of having the technical skill and belief that you can do it.

Physical strength is important, but a good opponent can also use your strength (and mass) against you

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sean O said:
I study BJJ, and I can say with a lot of confidence that, unit for unit, technique beats strength any day of the week.

I have these two classmates. One (Sami) is a second stripe blue belt. He's 225lbs of muscle, and is a three-time Grand Champion BJJ fighter of Ontario for his weight class and skill level, or something like that. The other (Jonathan) is a second stripe purple belt. He's a 125 pound Asian dude, not a total skeleton, but still pretty skinny overall.

Even with a 100 pound weight disadvantage, as well as a significant height disadvantage, I've still seen Jonathan tap Sami out *tons* of times, usually without much effort. Jonathan is just too technical for Sami. Sami is certainly very techincal himself, but Jonathan's technique is that much better that, no matter how much force Sami tries to use, Jonathan always has an answer to it. I've asked my Professor about this, and he definitely agrees that good technique is much more valuable than sheer brute force.
Well, especially with grappling, size gets neutralized on the ground. Still, how the hell does some guy get to be a provincial champ yet still regularly beat by someone half his weight, lol?

Anyhow, the arm bar is not that complex, but do be very careful with ankle locks and heel hooks - as they can instantly tear your knee ligaments.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
Still, how the hell does some guy get to be a provincial champ yet still regularly beat by someone half his weight, lol?
Superior technique, bro. It shocked the hell out of me, too.

Anyhow, the arm bar is not that complex
The complexities I was referring to were the subtleties, such as where you position yourself when you set up for it, as well as where the guys elbow is positioned once you have a hold on his arm.

SnowBlind77

Banned
Reaction score
the best thing you can do while grappling is use someone's wieght/force against them. im one of the smaller/weaker guys in my group (but i have been wrking out alot recently and getting stronger). we watch tons of UFC and have little wrestling matches all the time, but you have to remember that anything can happen. all my bigger friends try throwing me around but i use their force against them to leave them off balance and take them down.