Pick Me Up

yngad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm taking summer classes at my university this summer and i start at 8AM ... i'm definatly not a morning person and i don't become my perky self until about 12-1 basically after my class is over. is there anything natural that i can drink/eat that'll help me be more energized? i don't want to get addicted to coffee / energy drinks so i'm trying to stay away from that. anything will help thanks.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Healthy food in general will help you. If you eat a good sized breakfast you should feel fine a few hours later. Also, get in a quick jog, first thing in the morning. Just around the block or something, nothing major. I gets the blood flowing, wakes you up.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think coffee is unhealthy. I have been trying to find something wrong with it, but the health news I see is mostly positive. It contains antioxidants, and last week there was a study that said it repaired alcohol-induced liver damage. The white sugar, cream, and milk that people put in coffee is not healthy, though. Plain or sweetened with a natural sweetener, coffee is much better than a soda or energy drink. One downside is that it is bad for your teeth, so brush them right away after drinking it.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oatmeal and a glass of OJ will surely give you a boost in the morning. Lots of complex carbs. Coffee will wake you up momentarily, but like any drug, there is a withdrawl time where your body feels absolutely dead. Eat healthy, get 8 hours of sleep. Also, try waking up a little earlier. The more time between the time you wake up and the time your class is at, the better you'll feel.

protienpowder

Don Juan
Reaction score
go to bed early. Stretch when you wake up.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with WC2. And if you ever smoke, you definately shouldn't drink coffee because that doubles the stimulant, correlating with a larger down. (You become more susceptible to mood swings with drastic changes like these.)

A banana is actually a good wake-up food. You have some good fruit carbs and a lot of potassium unlike many other fruits. I feel potassium is almost as important as water or omega-3 fats when it comes to maintaining proper blood circulation & consistent metabolism.