People who use labtops click here

Basketba1100

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know labtops are much smaller then a real computer, but I want to know do they both run the same. I know some people with new laptops, and they run slow as hell. I just want to know the pros and cons of having a labtop, cause I'm thinking about buyin one.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Basketba1100
I know labtops are much smaller then a real computer, but I want to know do they both run the same. I know some people with new laptops, and they run slow as hell. I just want to know the pros and cons of having a labtop, cause I'm thinking about buyin one.
OK, here's the deal.

Laptops are much more expensive (duh), and for obvious reasons. That's probably why your friend's have slow laptops, the 'fast' ones are budget taking.

They run the same. A laptop is portable and generally better any time of the day, unless you want a computer for:

- Gaming
- Audio editing
- 3D Rendering...
- high performance visual stuff in general

Nowadays laptops have really good setups. What I need to know is what you want a laptop for.

Do you want to play games?
Then make sure it has a powerful 3D card, some NVIDIA (GeForce) or ATI Radeon (most likely, never seen a GeForce on a laptop). On the mhz side, you'll want at least 1000. RAM: 256 minimum.

If you want to just surf the net then anything goes. Starting at 500 mhz would be good enough for almost anything.

OHH-- also they are much more expensive to repair and much more difficult to mod / replace parts, for again obvious reasons.

If you don't need to move around and have a low budget and/or want to do high performance tasks, then stick to a desktop PC. They're cheap as hell.

I personally would prefer a laptop anytime of day though, since I like to run around and do illegal stuff with them. ;) They're also just plain cool.

Another good thing is that you won't have a bunch of wires to annoy you. If you're looking to having one for work then knock yourself out.

You can get good deals online. Questions?

Basketba1100

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't play any PC games, I just surf the net and download ALOT of music everyday. Plus I move around a lot from college to home.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HEHE - read my post again I edited it a bit. Sounds like a laptop is for you. Do your research first though, get one with a nice and big hard drive and good sound card.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, yeah . . . and the greatest thing probably is . . .

You can go places and not be such a freakin' nerd.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i just bought one of the best laptops you can find.. new 64 bit porcessor, amd athlon 3000+, 64 ATI card.. all i can say is "sweet" .. half life2 , doom 3, everything runs great.. wireless interenet = great (pain in the ass to set up but once you got it rolling, its great)

moving around= just awesome, i love going on the couch with my laptop not worrying about sticking to my desk.. right now im in my bed actually...

Sound is not bad at all too, my speakers blasting right now. (nowdays most laptops have decent speakers)

oh, my laptop is emachines.. refurbrished (means i pay less cause its used) but i got it for $900 so im happy :)

now nex, what is it you do with your laptop again? im listening to 50 cent's new album right now.. release date- march 8th ;)

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
my parents got me a Dell Latitude D800 for my graduation present from high school for college. it is amazing, ill never have a desktop computer again. all the above reasons are true; just dont buy a crappy one

skinnydart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought a Dell Laptop 5160 and love it. I sit in front of it over 14 hours a day (I know) during all my college classes, work, and then my free time. I never get tired of the keyboard or even the touchpad. It's awesome.

The performance of the parts are equal to that of a desktop. In fact, the Pentium M (Mobile) chips outperform the standard Destop P4's. PM me if you need a source for that.

And the 15" screen on mine is better than my desktop's 19" CRT!! My Laptop has an SXGA+, the resolution being 1400 X 1250.

Go laptop.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oxide

oh, my laptop is emachines.. refurbrished (means i pay less cause its used) but i got it for $900 so im happy :)

thats a good deal. Where did you get it?

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only problem with laptops is reliability and durability. Depending on which brand you buy, the hardware life is different.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been using labtops since freshman year in HS, I'm now 2nd year at Uni. I also run a business at the side, so it comes real handy. I can take it with me everywhere I go. The one I'm currently using now is a Packard Bell EasyNote E1245 (mobile AMD-Athlon XP-M 2400+ 1,8 Ghz 258mb ram), to be honest, it's not great for games and such (even though I can run some older games like deus ex, RA2 etc). But that doesnt bother me, since I'm only using it to write reports and MATLAB.

I'm currently building a desktop geared towards some hardcore gaming. :D

Anyways, if you are looking for something to use in connection with school work, then by all means, get a laptop. If you want it for gaming, go for a desktop. I dont care what people here says. Desktops smoke labtops when it comes to gaming.

And yeah, if you want to go the whole nine yards, take a look at Alienware ;
http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_gaming.aspx

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree, Alienware is usually quite overpriced, build one yourself if you can.. they do look cool as hell though ;)

I got mine at tigerdirect.com carefully examine what you buy.. first laptop i got had to be sent back.. sound didnt work half of the time, when it worked, mouse didnt, when that did, internet died ;) .. they sent me another one, this one is magic

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
However sweet alienware may look and perform, it's not worth the dough. If you're gonna buy a PC, I suggest building your own, you save $$$ and you get to choose what you want in it.

skinnydart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
build one yourself if you can
Build yourself a laptop?

Acutally, dealsea.com has coupon codes for dell laptops, paste the code in there and get $750 off a $2000 laptop. That is frieken awesome!

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most new laptops will do whatever you want them to do, if you're willing to spend around 1000 bucks. Mine has an Athlon XP 3000+, 768MB DDR RAM, a real 32MB Nvidia graphics card, and a 60 gig HD. Runs real fast if you know how to keep your operating system clean.