Online dating as a coping mechanism until the "break" is over?

ThisNThat

Banned
Reaction score
I often wonder if the vast majority of women are using online dating as a coping mechanism of a recent break up until they get back together with the ex.

You know how some women have this on again, off again relationship with said boyfriend and in her "off" period she goes on a string of serial dates...then...the ex contacts her, the reconnect, and she dumps all HER plates?

I think this is very common with online dating because I recall a woman that went through a break-up with a guy...and she was on her lunch break creating a dating profile. She had it up, temporarily, until I saw her boyfriend come back into the picture a week later.

Of course, the profile is now collecting cyberdust, but I find this to be a common thing among women online. I think they use it as more of a coping mechanism if anything for attention until they get back together with an on/off again ex. Yes?

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely agree with this.

The amount of baggage you'll find from women on online dating would shut down JFK airport...permanently.

Last edited:

sazc

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it actually could be that they break up and she goes to OLD to legit start to date, and realizes that, not only does she have to field all these random men, but, if she finds one, she has to start the getting-to-know you process all over again. She decides to go back to the ex b/c finding someone new is more work then going back to someone known.

ThisNThat

Banned
Reaction score
it actually could be that they break up and she goes to OLD to legit start to date, and realizes that, not only does she have to field all these random men, but, if she finds one, she has to start the getting-to-know you process all over again. She decides to go back to the ex b/c finding someone new is more work then going back to someone known.
VERY good point. Going back to the ex is an act of desperation, but this is true....why get to know someone new, when you could stick around with someone you're familiar with?

PatientOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have read that women who try not to be wh*res, will not easily allow new men into her bed, so it is easier to get back with an ex.