Olympic lifting

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone else here do olympic weightlifting? I'm adequate as far as that goes. I can clean + jerk 198 pounds (almost able to do 204), and snatch roughly 143 pounds (but my form sucks in snatch). I've been doing much more form work lately after tweaking my back in an attempted 204 screw up though, so hopefully I'll soon be at my 264 lb clean and jerk that my coach says I should be doing right now...

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How is your snatch less than your C&J?

Anyhow, that's a good C&J, keep it up. What's your weight?

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Snatch form is tough. Everyone on the oly lifting team at my school has a lower snatch than clean and jerk.

I weigh 230, but have more body fat then I care for. I'm going to start deadlifting a lot more though to train the same motion that I use in cleans and snatches, and now that my coach got the 88 pound beast (k-bell) in I'm doing one armed snatches (one of only 3 in the whole school who can do that) to work on explosiveness and arm strength.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, 1-armed snatches are hard as F.

Sorry, I got my terms mixed up earlier. Snatch should be less than C&J. Deadlifting will definately be a good addition to your repetoire.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to mention actually possible to do, the freakin lower back strains took a crap on my squatting. Although I've learned that I won't have that problem if I tighten my abs like a suit of armor while doing it. Haven't put it to the test yet...

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, your lower back is probably straining because your abs are too strong compared to your back. You need them to be pretty even. And, yes, deads are absolutely essential to any powerlifter. They will make your back the strongest muscle group in your body.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm... what I've heard was that it was cuz my lower back is extremely flexible, but my abs are inhumanly strong. Deads should even that nicely though.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
right, abs are too strong. I don't know if back flexibility has anything to do with it.

I don't understand how you were olympic training, and they weren't having you deadlift.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My coach is in love with squats, and considers them superior to deads. I don't see why really... BTW, my latest back spasm (the one last friday, and what was BY FAR the most painful one) seems to have jarred what was out of place in my back back into place, and my back feels perfect now! I did the ab-tightening thing and that also helped a lot, kept my form and my back straight. I didn't dead today but I 1-arm and 2-arm swung the 88 pound kettlebell, which not only worked the hell outta my back but taxed every other muscle in my body just to keep me balanced!

BTW, I'm not actually on the oly lifting team at the moment. I might join it later this year though. But I don't think the oly lifting team concentrates much on deads either.