Not creative enough to apply the principles?

RestUnknown

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've read countless books, the most important ones even multiple times. I spent countless hours on this site. I know the principles, know why woman act a certain way, etc...

But I have a feeling I can't apply the stuff I know. Simple example is being ****y and funny. If a girl says something, it's always minutes afterwards that I come up with a ****y and funny response. Ok we're not always at our top game, but I can never come up with something on the spot.

This is the same with IOU's, it's always when I'm back at home that I think "o god I completely missed that".

Point is I feel that my mind is not creative enough or witty enough to come up with the right stuff based on the principles on the spot.

I know experience makes you better at this, but I throw myself into everything possible scenario, but I feel I made no improvement at all.

vpn

Don Juan
Reaction score
Best way to get your brain going for stuff like that - watch stand up comedy/improv. There are tons of comedians out there and plenty of shows on Netflix. Find any of the famous movies of the Marx Brothers and watch those. You can also try the podcasts of Ricky Gervais.

Content like that will get your brain going...

Oh, and practice!

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree you do have to be creative to put your own spin on things and use them effectively.
But the clips I've seen of Mystery, he wasn't creative at all. He just spouted all his prefabricated lines, even though they didn't fit the situation whatsoever. Came across as completely unnatural. Most likely he just got laid because he was tall.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Then focus on other concepts...there are plenty of people who arent funny or witty that get laid.

TheMonkeyKing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) Don't just 'try to be c0cky and funny' simply because that's what you been told. Work out what your own sense of humour is and work on that. Is it dark, light-hearted, ironic, sarcastic, satirical, observational? A mix of everything is good. Find out what makes you tick; if you don't at least find yourself a bit amusing, no one else will. Also, I find 'cheeky' is better that 'c0cky'; the line between c0cky and arrogant is too fine for most guys to grasp anyway.

2) Your view is too general. You're trying to be generally funny, because you know that's what all people respond to. As mentioned, hone your own unique sense of humour, specific to people who will share that sense of humour. Don't expect to be everyone's best friend; it'll never happen. And be prepared to fail before you start succeeding; it's the only way you'll learn. When you go home alone (especially when you end up going home alone), reflect on what went well and what you would do differently next time.

3) Watching specific characters you like really helps; you can mimic there style and content from time to time. I like Sterling Archer (as per my avatar) and Jake Peralta from Brooklyn 99. I must have watched both of those shows, back to back, at least three or four times.

Last edited: