Need Portable Music Player!

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bought a Sony minidisc player like 9 months ago and it quickly got fuct up... but by the time i was gonna send it back it was past the warranty. ****in waste of money

anyways i need a portable music player for THE GYM

I need something that is VERY STRONG and i dont have to worry about dropping it. Ive dropped the minidisc and it never skipped but now its fuct

So i need something i dont have to worry about dropping

I also need something that holds a lotof omusic.. not a lil 128 mb mp3 player.. but like a 20gig or 40gigabyte playuer.

Help me out!!

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20GB - 40 GB, I'd go with the iPods since the iRivers are:

1) a goddam rip off the iPods.
2) larger than the iPods.
3) are color and who needs color when you're looking for lightweight, stylish, durable stuff eh?

Now, my iPod is the 3rd gen iPod. The ones out now are 4th gen. Running and stuff I'd say go with the iPod minis and they have 6 GB ones now. However, if you have somewhere to put the iPod, like clip it onto the water holder of the elliptical (like I do) or somewhere on you, then go with the iPod 20GBs.

I love my iPod but my school is thinking of banning them, I do not know why. Oh yeah, because they are douches.

I seriously don't recommend the iRivers. MY friend has one and he thinks it's awesome, but compared to my iPod I think his looks like crap and it's all clicky, not smooth like the iPod. Only advantage it has is that it's alittle bit (~$50) cheaper than the iPod and it has color, but seriously . . . who the fuk needs color for music. iPod photo (60GB ~$500) is color for a reason and you can view photos but iRivers are goddam wannabes who suck.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fukk what the last person said.

iRiver was a company before iPod existed.

Additionally, can iPods play movies, and record off the radio? no

I have an iRiver h340 and it's awesome. Here are the features:

-color screen
-can view txt files
-can view .bmps and .jpgs
-can play MP3, WMA, and OGG
-can play .avis
-has an internal mic to record, and you can hookup an external one
-can listen to FM radio
-can record off the FM radio
-easy file navigation
-costs around $380

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AverageFC
Fukk what the last person said.

iRiver was a company before iPod existed.

Additionally, can iPods play movies, and record off the radio? no

I have an iRiver h340 and it's awesome. Here are the features:

-color screen
-can view txt files
-can view .bmps and .jpgs
-can play MP3, WMA, and OGG
-can play .avis
-has an internal mic to record, and you can hookup an external one
-can listen to FM radio
-can record off the FM radio
-easy file navigation
-costs around $380
Good stuff. My iPod is ~$100 cheaper and has all your stuff minus the jpgs and recording, but you can but a recording thing for radio and stuff for ~$40-50 bucks from Belkin (www.apple.com).

Also, who the hell needs the view .jpgs. This is a music player. It's like people having fuking TVs in their cell phone. BUY A FOKING TV.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
but the iPod i gotta pay for the music.

And how sturdy is it? I want somethin indestructable

For an example in a different genre of equipment... look at Boss and the pedals they make for guitars... those things are indestructible :D. I dont want something that i pay a ****load of money for and i drop it so many times and it doesnt work right ne more.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And how sturdy is it? I want somethin indestructable
There's no such thing as a "tank" computer.
Good stuff. My iPod is ~$100 cheaper and has all your stuff minus the jpgs and recording, but you can but a recording thing for radio and stuff for ~$40-50 bucks from Belkin
How many gigs is your ipod? $380 is the cost for the 40gb version. The 20GB version of the iRiver is like $220

And your ipod can view .avi files, play .ogg and wma, and listen to the radio? Since when?

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I put it on steroids.;)

ok. He doesn't need all that dude, just something to listen to music with.

FL BOY

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive never heard of Iriver down here in Tampa but..... If u want somtin small and well built then get the Ipod shuffle. Its $99 and holds lots of music. I got a 20gb Ipod and its not big at all but the Ipod shuffle is the size of apack of gum, is less than 100 dollars and holds hella lot of music(2 times more than any other player near its size). And about the music costin money, there are ways to get around that If u got Limewire or somtin like that you can get the music for free.Not that I do it.......:)

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, 99% of my music in my iTunes are not from iTunes Music Store. the other 1% are from old CDs I had. I have about 10 GBs of music.

Anyhow, I suggest an iPod mini (new 6 GB one) for the gym. Shuffles suck because they're only 128 MB and you can't choose your song so it sucks when you wanna hear a song. Plus, iPod minis and iPods have a shuffle feature already. So go with the mini for the gym. I know if I had more money I'd get a mini. Blue or Green I can't decide:D

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If youre looking for a 20gb or 40gb player like you said, investigate the iRiver h300 series.

If you're looking for a small flash player, like a 5GB one, check out the iRiver H10

http://www.iriveramerica.com/

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Screw the Ipods. Just get yourself a basic MP3 player that will hold a few gigs of MP3s. You won't be wasting your fvcking money, you won't have to pay for your tunes, and they're pretty small. All you have to do is upload the files to it and you're ready to go. It'll be more indestructable than the MP3 players that take CDs (and smaller).

Don't pay for features you're not going to use. It's a waste of money. Get yourself something basic that will play ONLY music. If you wanna watch movies while you workout, invest in a universal gym.

If you wanna make it more resistable to being dropped, glue some weatherstripping or sponge on it.

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still recommend the iPod mini. It comes with a clip, it's lightweight, and it hold 6GB which is more than enoguh for a workout session. Like Desdinova said, you don't need to watch TV or have your MP3 player breathe for you. You jsut want a good sturdy one that's suitable for working out. I have a 20 GB iPod, but I do not recommend it for working out since it's kinda heavy. I'd say go with the iPod mini (different colors oolala) for working out.

But in the end, it's up to you because you're buying it.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say go with the iPod mini (different colors oolala) for working out.
You don't need to watch TV on it, but you need to use it as a fashion accessory?:rolleyes:

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AverageFC
You don't need to watch TV on it, but you need to use it as a fashion accessory?:rolleyes:
Wow. It comes in colors. It is a fashion accessory.

No dude. It's the best small mp3 player out there for what it holds/weight/size/looks/price.

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so i can drop the ipod mini and it wont scrue up????

is ther a way to get the music 4 free?

damn the shuffle only holds 120 songs :/

these deals are pretty ****ty

100$= 120 songs IPOD SHUFFLE
200$= 1,000 songs IPOD MINI
300$= 5,000 songs IPOD 20gb
450$= 15,000 songs IPOD 60gb

from 100 to 200 bucks.. the songs multiply by 10!!! Might as well pay 200.. but then it multiplies by 5 again.... might as well pay 300... then it ads 10,000 mor ****in songs for 150 more....... The Shuffle is a ****in horrible deal

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shuffle sucks. I won't say the mini will work if you throw it into the ground. Nothing will. But I gotta say, those minis are at least 1 piece and i dropped my iPod big white one a few times and it is ok besides a few scratches. One time it kinda freaked on me cuz i dunno wtf happend wwith the buttons, but i just recharged it and my computer kinda fixed it.

Anyhow, limewire, *****, mp3raid.com, emp3world.com all are placese wher you can get mp3s for free. or just buy your CDs and stuff and put your whole CDs onto your ipod.

do some research dude.

**** apple should pay me for this.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
iPods are overpriced.

I bought a Dell 20 GB Player for $220.00 new from Dell.

It also has voice and music recording capability which is great for meetings or just recording random great thoughts while driving.

Apple offers this too, but for an extra $40.00

With the money I saved, I bought an optional FM tuner which Apple doesn't even offer, as well as a Leather case that clips to my belt and a two year warranty that even covers accidental damage, such as dropping it, plus a car charger.

The FM tuner is great for the gym as the TV's in the cardio room broadcast their audio in FM

Got all this for less than the cost of a 20 GB iPod, and it has better sound quality, plus the Dell player has a longer battery life.

iPods are trendy, but like all Apple/MacIntosh products, they are overpriced and overhyped.

Dell also makes a 5 GB player that is also a better player than the Apple and costs less.

The Dell 5 GB costs $199.00, while the Apple iPod 6 GB costs $249.00 and you can't add an optional FM tuner to the iPod.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DONT buy the ****ing IPOD.

Buy an Iriver flash memory player. Sure you get lessser memory, but who cares as long as you get more functionality out of your player!!

comparisons of Iriver flash Based player and ipod:

Flash memory means music will never jump.
Ipod claims their player never skips...but as you know all hdd based players can and WILL skip.

Iriver has UMS capability, meaning it CAN be used for mass storage purposes, drag and drop, basically it's a portable hard drive...and yes you can copy music to and back from the player....once pluged in through USB, windows/mac will auto detect it as a hard drive.

the IPOD prevents people from copying music back from player to computer.....

In windows, you MUST install their ipod manager or else you cant transfer songs. on mac OS systems obviously, it will auto detect.

Iriver players usually use AA or AAA Batteries. which you can easily change whenever you want....the player can lost a long time...i've used my Iriver 799t 1gb to play over 50hrs+ of mp3 songs on 1 AA.
IPOD players, their rechargeable batteries die within 14 months, then you'll have to send the player back for replacement which will cost a good fee.

in addition Iriver players have all the benefits that AverageFC mentioned.

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iPods have drag and drop too.

My iPod has been running a-okay fine for 2 years. My friend had one going strong for 5 years until he kneed the screen in and couldn't read anything lol. I'd say this is tough stuff. well, considering you have a pc and I don't, you might be more inclined to go for the iRiver. Just go try it out, but I'm giving you another side of the story.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
My Dell DJ 20 GB player uses a HD and never skips.

Also, I can recharge the battery with a power cord, or by USB and can get up to 18 hours of play time.

No need to buy batteries.

I can use it as a HD as well, and can drag and drop all kinds of files, not just MP3's and can easily transfer them to and from my PC

I recently added 2,000 MP3's from my PC to my Dell player using the USB port and it took only 30 minutes.

10GB transfer in just 30 minutes is pretty fast, and I still have room for another 2,000 songs.

It's nice having 4,000 songs available and I also use a BelkinTunecast II FM Transmitter so I can enjoy my entire music library in any of my 3 vehicles.