My take on "The paradigm for psychopathic and deviant personality"

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The paradigm for psychopathic and deviant personality. (apa.org)

In contrast to inadequate personality, this early lack of socialized ego development is overcome by a more individualized ego development which permits the individual to attain the goals of ego alien and socially proscribed motives by indirect means.
In other words, not conforming to the irrationality of the majority of the people is a 'problem.'

Using conformity as a standard for mental health is problematic for a number of reasons. The proper standard for mental health ought to be rationality.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Using conformity as a standard for mental health is problematic for a number of reasons. The proper standard for mental health ought to be rationality.
Well, in that case, as a non-conformist Einzelgänger, I'm fvcked.

At least, in America. Where I'm not. Oh, lucky me.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The paradigm for psychopathic and deviant personality. (apa.org)

In other words, not conforming to the irrationality of the majority of the people is a 'problem.'

There's a reason why the word "psychotic" has meanings that range from "seeing things and hearing voices" to merely having a difference of opinion with an established majority.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
There's a reason why the word "psychotic" has meanings that range from "seeing things and hearing voices" to merely having a difference of opinion with an established majority.
Usually it infers having a break from reality or making up your own version of things that actually never happened and then trying to convince others they actually did.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you define psychological ailments vague enough you can sell drugs to everybody.
I think most Americans don't see how corporate greed influenced their society in a negative way.