My new routine, HELP :)

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Just want you guys to check out my routine and tell me if there is anyhting wrong before I actually start doing it.

Usually train heavy but switched it around a bit for a change in the last five weeks. Been training 5 days a week light/lots of reps. Now I want to mix it up again and go back to heavy.

I will be training 3 days per week. Monday, Wensday and Friday

3x8 REPS will be done on most. When 3x8 is achieved more weight will be added next time.

Mon

Chest Tri Shoulders

Flat bench press
Inclined dumbell press
Flys
Seated shoulder press
Lateral raises
Shrugs
Dips (weighted)
Triecep Pulldowns

Wens

Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extentions (machine)
Leg curls (machine)
Dumbelss Lunges
Calf Raises
Planks
Leg raises
Crunches

Friday

Deadlifts
Widegrip pullups (weighted)
Chin pullups (weighted)
One arm bent over rows
Close grip seated pully rows
Backwards fly thingie (machine that alows you to do a fly but with weight other way around)
Bicep curls

This is what i want to do just needs to be tweaks just incase iv picked the wrong things. I have chosen to do this because i will REALLY ENJOY as i have picked stuff i love doing.

Im planning on doing this for 8 weeks, hopfully I will bulk a bit from doing this but the main resoning is to have a routine that i have made up and love doing.

Thanks for reading this guys

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evolve said:
the main resoning is to have a routine that i have made up and love doing.
If that's honestly your goal then why would our opinions matter

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well this is the first time iv done this and I want to run it by more experianced guys than myself to see if what I have picked is actually a good routine. And if there is anything iv missed out on or would be a really good idea to change/miss out or add.

I sort of want peice of mind that my routine will help me bulk as well as doing the things i enjoy doing in the gym

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Limit yourself to 3-4 lifts per day.

You're not going to be able to deadlift effectively 48 hours after beating your legs up.

Shrugs are pointless until your deadlift is pretty high.

Just do Rippetoe's or iron addict's simple power based routine.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Just do Rippetoe's or iron addict's simple power based routine.
+1

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't see any reason why pretty much anyone posting here who can't deadlift at least 2x bodyweight and squat at least 1.5 bodyweight should do anything other than the Rippetoe program.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
You really think doing one of those programs will benifit me enough to do a routine differently too what i wanted too do?

Iv been weight training for about 5 years now on and off. Can easy bench over my body weight, and i recon i could squat and deadlift 1.5 times more without strenght training.

I already have a very good strength. If doing one of these beginner programs will bring me a lot of benifits i will deffinatly consider doing it for 8 weeks.

What I want
I go too the gym too look good period. For me its all about the body. Strength is a byproduct of what i want. I want a program that will add some mass. I am open too suggestions but if my above program will work id like too try and stick too that.

What would Rippetoe's starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 programs give to me, considering my current level of training experiance.

Body type is lean athletic muscular, sort of got a brad pit fight club body type going on at the moment. Id like to go from 'fightclub' too 'troy' type of look.

Remember for me its not about getting strong or being fit is about looking good

Could someone explain too me what I would get by doing Rippetoe's starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 considering my current training level and strength. I know the stronger you get the bigger you will get, but are there nay more programs that will give me a more efficiant output than these. All I care about is how i look by the way

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Post your squat, deadlift, and bench rep max. How much do you weigh, what is your bf %? Brad Pitt weighed about 151 at a lower bf in Fight Club and was only a bit bigger in troy, but not by much. If you weigh over that then you may just want to shed some pounds if that is what you turly want.

Also post your current diet plan for bulking.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just had a quick search

'Brad Pitt is approx. 5ft 11.5 and his weight for fight club was between 155-160lbs. That i am certain of, for troy i can only speculate, but considering my research i would consider rather accurate. Brad pitt bulked up for troy all around, also he had very dense muscle mass, besides this he had really low bodyfat which made him look heavier. He was around 175lbs, maybe less his tan his low bodyfat and lighting would make him look more buff and thus more heavy though.

-- This answer is not true. It is my understanding that Brad Pitt gained 30 pounds of muscle for thsi role, so if he was 160 for Fight Club, he was 190 for Troy'

My self im 5.11 155 pounds and nearly identical body shape too brad in fight club. Not as good 6 pack but iv been working on it. Been doing light weights for the last 5 weeks lost some weight.

At a guess I could bench 80kg x8 90k for one rep at a push
Squat about 100k and deadlift about the same

Legs are my weakness and where my body lacks, worked very hard to be squat what I can. I have realy weak legs and knee's its took a long time to build upto this.

Any ideas on training plans?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=689856 looks fun <--- but lack of Dlifts/Legwork its not for me

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Evolve said:
3x8 REPS will be done on most. When 3x8 is achieved more weight will be added next time.
You got the general idea right if you're training for looks + abit of mass.

I'd just do SS's routine using that setxrep range. The SS routine should keep your body balanced.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry too be going on talked to a lot of people and come up with this. What you guys think?

Monday
Deadlifts 4 x 6-10 reps
Weighted pullups 3 x f reps
One arm DB rows 3 x 6-10 reps
Reverse flys 3 x 6-10 reps
Shrugs 3 x 6-10 reps

Wensday
Flat bench 4 x 6-10 reps
Incl dumbell press 3 x 6-10 reps
Military press 3 x 6-10 reps
Lat raises 3 x 6-10 reps
Weighted Dips 3 x f reps

Friday
Squats 4 x 6-10 reps
Leg ext 3 x 6-10 reps
Leg curls 3 x 6-10 reps
Standing calf raises 3 x 6-10 reps

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DAY 1(eg. Monday)
Squats 2 x 5
Squats or Leg Press 1 x 15 (lighter weight)
Good Mornings or Stiff Leg Deadlifts or Sumo Leg Press 2 x 10-15
Glute Ham Raise or Pullthroughs or Hyperextension 2 x 8
Calf Raises 2 x 10

DAY 2(eg. Wednesday)
Incline Press 2 x 5
Dumbbell Press (Flat/Decline) or Dips 2 x 8-10
Shoulder Press 2 x 8-12
Tricep Exercise 2 x 10-15

DAY 3(eg. Friday)
Deadlifts 2 x 5
Row or Chinup/Pulldown 2 x 8
Bicep Curl 2 x 8-10
Forearm Exercise 2 x 10-15

Would be better.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
DAY 1(eg. Monday)
Squats 2 x 5
Squats or Leg Press 1 x 15 (lighter weight)
Good Mornings or Stiff Leg Deadlifts or Sumo Leg Press 2 x 10-15
Glute Ham Raise or Pullthroughs or Hyperextension 2 x 8
Calf Raises 2 x 10

DAY 2(eg. Wednesday)
Incline Press 2 x 5
Dumbbell Press (Flat/Decline) or Dips 2 x 8-10
Shoulder Press 2 x 8-12
Tricep Exercise 2 x 10-15

DAY 3(eg. Friday)
Deadlifts 2 x 5
Row or Chinup/Pulldown 2 x 8
Bicep Curl 2 x 8-10
Forearm Exercise 2 x 10-15

Would be better.
This and the simple starting diet. Your still at the beginner phase imo. Don't over complicate things. Just stick to the routine above and the simple starting diet and don't be an on and off trainer.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't over complicate things. Focus on getting stronger on multi joint exercises and eat enough proteins, carbs and fats and then you'll get bigger over time. There is no magic pill or special supplement.

You already have been given a list of tried and tested Routines. Pick one, and follow it as it's written. May I also add in Exmgq's routine in the list of effective routines - you'll see it if you go to Ironaddicts.com and click on routines and it's in the same section as the Simple Power Based Routine.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time too give me advise. I'll update you how it went after 8 weeks

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evolve said:
Thanks so much for taking the time too give me advise. I'll update you how it went after 8 weeks
Better yet, keep a log on here- more accountabiity. More help too.