My Fitness Journal

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Inspired by this thread. I'm getting back on my fitness goals starting today. I was going to wait until New Years but I'm afraid that if I do, I won't start at all.

I have to rebuild my back and shoulder. So it will very slow going. I went to my chiropractor today and he said to just start with back stretches and walking for 10 minutes every day for the next two weeks.

I also fell off the cigarette wagon, so that starts today as well. I threw out half a pack last night.

I did 10 mins on the treadmill with 5 mins warm up and 5 mins cool down. I was on the lowest level and I still felt completely out of shape. I am a fat ass. 235 lbs. Been eating all the cookies and cakes at work, working late nights on my business, and eating to much fast food. I'm going to die if continue living this way.

It's time to clean up my diet and my act if I plan on getting back in the game and living the life I want.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday morning weigh in was 236.

I haven't had a cigerette in 4 days. I have a massive headache, chest pains, shortness of breath. It will pass, been here before. No exercise and I won't lie the diet has been crappy. I've slowly been cutting back on carbs and upping my veggies. Hopefully next week I can start walking on a regular basis without being out of breath. This sucks.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
getting started is one of the hardest parts man. I don't think easing into it helps, you gotta just jump right in running and slowly get yourself together that way. I've always been fit/slim and bulked up to 5'11, 170lbs in college. Trust me its worth it the way you look and feel.

I jumped to 205lbs of fat with a beer belly looking gut after a serious relationship and boy oh boy what a change that did on the girls. The only looks i was getting was the looks of surprise of seeming me with a beer belly haha.

Screw the walking start jogging right away and when you get too tired walk for a minute or two to catch your breath and start jogging for another minute or less, then back into jogging. Do this for 10 minutes and slowly up the length or the routine and the length of your jog each time as small goals. I smoke a ****load too or did until i decided to quit last week haha, i eat crap foods but one thing i need to keep me sane is my body.

It feels good to be faster, stronger, and more agile/nimble.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear you. Thanks for the support. My main problems right now is that I'm working on rehabing my back and shoulder...the back thing makes it really hard to go hard on anything other than an eliptical. I went to the gym yesterday afternoon and its full of resolutioners, I waited 15 mins to get a machine. I'm gonna get my sleep cycle sorted out and try going to the gym early.

I'm still doing good on eating clean. Fell of the wagon and had 3 cigs with my coworker today.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weighed in this morning. 232lbs. Not sure if my scale is telling the truth. I dropped all fast food and soda this week. At mostly protein and good carbs (whole wheat bread/pasta) and more veggies than normal. But I didn't do a lick of exercise.

I still feel the same, my pants are not as tight though.

I weighed in this evening before coming to my second job and I was back to 236. This is after a full day of meals though and I know weight fluxuates due to stomach content, water retention and time of day. We'll see what happens on next monday's weigh in.

The smoking is still an issue. I'll have to work harder on it. I have cut down, but not completely off the wagon yet.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're doing this seriously, you need to cut all starchy carbs from your meals. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes - whole or not.

Get your carbs from vegetables and fruits.

Cut all processed foods out too.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep it up man. You can do it.

I let myself slip last year while I was dating this girl. I got up to 210lbs and felt like complete crap. I started working my ass off in the gym and eating better, and I got all the way down to 165 in about 6 months.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Initial gains (or weight loss) will be quick, but part of what makes a routine difficult is continuing even after a plateau. Soon, easy weight loss via dietary subtraction will simply not be the case and you will need to persist in order to get even more favorable results. At the elite level like Collosus and fuglydude, one needs a mental fortitude that exceeds many athletes.

Treat your weight like a value investor treats the stock ticker symbol. Someone who buys on value and holds for a long time does NOT let the instantaneous price influence their mood or change their gameplan. Some even suggest that ignoring the price is ideal on the long term unless a good selling opportunity comes around. I think part of this mentality can carry over into a healthy lifestyle. Don't fixate on ones weight, rather focus on your dietary goals and athletic benchamrks ( 1 rep maxes and the like) on the long term. Let the weight be a number which occasionally indicates your long term plan is going in the right direction.

whatever you do, don't listen to that ozzie clown, jitterbug. Dude couldn't squat a 5 lb PVC pipe ;)

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
If you're doing this seriously, you need to cut all starchy carbs from your meals. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes - whole or not.

No. I've done that before, and I could do it again but trust me it's not going to work in this case. I appreciate the advice. This will be a long slow journey to the end.

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
you need to do it warrior, for you!

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
231lbs. Slacked off last week. Went out drinking with the boys and eating late at the weekend. Gotta tighten up.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's hard and you won't really get any drastic changes quickly. It takes time. I eat really bad food, a lot but i still get results. Obviously my 6pack is a little lacking because of my diet but everything else is coming along fine. find a way to get yourself to commit.

I rarely stick to things and always tend to fall off on a lot of projects and take a LONG time. But i am the type of guy, if i promise something I mean it. I try not to make promises i can't keep. I've kept promises to myself that i've made since i was 10. I promised my 6th grade teacher that i would never get involved in drugs ever, and I made that promise with my best friend at the time. We were both trouble makers.

I kept that promise and he didn't. Though i've gotten in trouble i've managed to make a life for myself. He's still stuck as his grandmoms house. I can't even talk to him anymore because of our education levels and the way he acts. I wish i could help him but it may put me in a situation where he would try to rob me or i'd kill him. I say hi to him when i see him that's about all.

Find a way to commit yourself. If you have to, pay for a personal trainer. That's a great way for people to get themselves to the gym since they're paying a lot for it.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:

Jitter, definitely respect you and all your good advice through the years on this board, but DEFINITELY disagree with you 100% here. People looking to cut weight should get carbs from starches to keep them full, and prevent them from binging. Of course, not going crazy is the key along with exercise. But telling someone to eliminate starches, ESPECIALLY if Warrior is/was looking to build lean muscle mass along with his fat loss will be death to his goals.

Warrior, come on bro!! Get back on the horse, the first step in doing this is making it a priority!!! You have all the right thoughts and are starting to put a plan in place now stick to it!!! Your only in your late 30's, you can change your body quickly. Have you thought about hiring a trainer or going getting some nutritional consulting from a legit person? Not the crappy registered dietitians that don't know jack??

PIMP

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimp-sicle said:
Warrior, come on bro!! Get back on the horse, the first step in doing this is making it a priority!!! You have all the right thoughts and are starting to put a plan in place now stick to it!!! Your only in your late 30's, you can change your body quickly. Have you thought about hiring a trainer or going getting some nutritional consulting from a legit person? Not the crappy registered dietitians that don't know jack??

PIMP
My issues are about time management and work. When I get busy, I may work 16 hour days between my day job and my business...then I'm to tired to go to the gym, to busy to do the food prep...next thing you know I'm right back where I started. I have to start managing my time better. My sleep cycle is all screwed up. I can't make myself go to sleep before 3am now and then of course I'm dragging my ass out of bed to get to my day job. I'm sluggish all day. I'll catch my second wind late in the evening, (like now )and I'll go until 3 in the morning again easily. I'll be shooting for an early bed time tonight as I have little work to do for my clients. Starting fresh again tomorrow.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man,

Good to see that you're trying to get back into it. I can kind of relate to your lifestyle. I mean, its not nearly as bad now, however, in the past there's been months/weeks where I work 70-85+ hours. I'm a healthcare professional in the field of critical care, so I work shift work and am on-call occasionally. Given the nature of my work I often miss meals and don't have adequate time to train with the full high volume work outs that my program calls for. It was worse in the past when I was stripping as well as had my regular job, but its definitely better now that I'm done with that.

As you probably know, the key to fitness is diet. If your diet sucks, nothing else will work. Any schmuck can go to the gym 3, 4 even 5 times a week, but unless your diet is good, your gains will always be limited by the amount of nutrition you're taking in.

Proper planning with diet and training is what it is gonna take for you to succeed. If you're not prepared to do the work and plan your shiit out, you might as well quit right now. Here are some general tips that will help you plan:

1. Know your week's schedule ahead of time and work around that. Plan out your meal times, training times, etc. I compare this a little to lining up an appropriate defense in football when you see the offensive formation. You're not gonna stack the line when you have a 5-WR shotgun formation. Similarly, work out times during your week when you can train, and figure out what you're gonna train, and when you're gonna eat, make your food, etc. Plan, plan and then plan some more!

2. Create, and write down your diet and mass produce and refrigerate/freeze your food. I routinely make 5-7 lbs of ground beef, yams, etc. By mass producing food you're basically able to make food for multiple meals but only use a small amount of time. Furthermore, you'll always have access to good wholesome foods in your fridge. I know I eat crap when there's nothing good around in my fridge. I simply CANNOT overstate the importance of diet.

3. Use meal replacement protein shakes. I'm not a huge fan of supplements vs. whole foods, but, sometimes this is all you can do. I mean I can't eat a full meal at my workstation, but there's nothing that says I can't sip a mass gainer or meal replacement shake at my work station. I imagine you're probably the same.

4. I'm not sure what your program looks like, but remember even a quick 30 minute work out is better than nothing. I often have to take a modular approach to my training a train a single small muscle group when I have time constraints, simply due to the volume of work I gotta do.

5. Learn to eat foods that are good, but require minimal prep time. Examples that I can think of include:

- rotisserie whole chickens.
- almonds.
- fruits/veges.
- cottage cheese.

6. Supplement properly. When you're busy and work a hectic schedule, getting in adequate nutrition (both macro and micronutrients) becomes imperative as your body is gonna need all extra juice to stay motivated and perform well despite the long hours. My work, critical care, is life and death, so I gotta always be at my best. I swear by multivitamins, and have recently discovered a great vitamin pack. In your case I'd advise you to definitely invest in a good high potency time release multivitamin, or vitamin pack. Make sure it is specifically formulated for men, and also take a high potency time release B-complex vitamin. B's are amazing for energy, stress response and focus. Other things you should think about are omega 3's, and anti-oxidants.

7. Invest in a cooler. Eating frequently can be a pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you can to make it easy. Coolers allow you to take your food with you wherever you gotta go, whether it be to work, see clients, etc.

8. Surround yourself with people that are fitness minded. Both my fiance and me are competitive physique athletes, and we both have issues of people not understanding our diets/training and lifestyle choices. Most people are supportive, but its always really cool when you meet someone who competes/has competed as they not only can give you tips, but also understand the shiit you're going through. Remember the people you hang out around have a strong influence on who/what you become, so choose your friends wisely.

9. This is obvious, but cut down on drinking. I find drinking to be extremely overrated. I used to basically get semi-hammered before my shows when I was stripping towards the latter part of my career. Although it definitely made the whole experience more fun, and may even have helped my performance, I always felt like crap the next day. Alcohol is metabolic poison, and according to a meta-analysis study by Lancet, (a distinguished medical journal) it is the worst drug when you consider societal, personal health, family costs, etc.

10. Execute and stay consistent. You can have the greatest plan in the world, but nothing matters unless you execute. Staying consistent and positive is difficult, but I promise you the end result is well worth the hard work, sweat, blood and tears that you put into it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need me to make a diet or program for you. Good luck!

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimp-sicle said:
Jitter, definitely respect you and all your good advice through the years on this board, but DEFINITELY disagree with you 100% here. People looking to cut weight should get carbs from starches to keep them full, and prevent them from binging. Of course, not going crazy is the key along with exercise. But telling someone to eliminate starches, ESPECIALLY if Warrior is/was looking to build lean muscle mass along with his fat loss will be death to his goals.
Firstly the no-starch diet plan is what my coach tells me, and he's trained people for 30 years. I didn't come up with it, I just follow what I've seen working for others.

I am now 85kg / 188lb (@ 5'7") with a lot more muscles and lower BF% thanks to eating like that. I went from 71kg to 86kg (too much milk), back down to 79kg and now to 85kg. The 79 to 85 bulk was lean gain, I have lower BF% now than I was at 79kg (not as low as I'd like yet, but I can see the outlines of my abs now).

A high fat, high protein but low carbs diet will get you lean muscle gains and you'll feel satiated throughout the day. Starches do not prevent you from binging. They actually make you feel hungry quicker. Binging is emotional eating, which is a separate issue that requires training the way you eat so that you can be disciplined with your diet.

Considering that Warrior74's activity level is very low, he should be eating a lot less carbs. I train heavy weights 3 nights a week, play soccer 1 night, have dance practices & socials for 2-3, and walk about 4-5km a day, and I'm on low carbs.

If Warrior was bulking, then I'd say, eat more carbs (at the right time, of course), starches and all!

Anyway, I'd just put this info out there, because it works for me and many other guys at my club. It's not the only way. If Warrior finds that it works for him, all good. I have no particular interest in debating to prove what's right or wrong.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eating 400g of sweet potatoes as part of breakfast as I type this (training day), but I'm not a big fat out of shape unfit bloke trying to lose fat (no disrespect meant, Warrior).

Anyway it can work for him (with the novice effect, eating clean & training regularly will give him instant results), but it's heaps easier if he stays away from starchy carbs - that's what I meant.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm down 10lbs. in the last 3 weeks. I finally cleaned up my diet, I started pre cooking my meals for the 2-3 days out and thats been very successful. I've also started walking for 10 mins per day. I don't eat after 6pm. I know it doesn't seem like much to you guys. But I'm starting small and working my way up.