Muay thai question

A_BetterMAN

Don Juan
Reaction score
as the title says, some questions i have , in muay thai do we numb our hands in ice before fights ? I heard it may cause a problem when we get older also,

if i join muay thai is it part of the training to run lots ? Im worried that this would make me thin

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been training in Muay Thai for more than 2 years and I've never done either of those things...

But they could be gym specific. This is a question to ask potential instructors, not anyone here.

MyWay

Don Juan
Reaction score
ice: no, not in Holland, never heard of it. Just accept the pain.
run: you can come up with reasons why you should run (ie: getting more stamina). How can you get slim of it? Eat more?

MuayThai

Banned
Reaction score
There's no ice, never ever heard of that before.

If your running all you gotta do is eat more and make sure your rested.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muay thai is not something you want to be practicing when you're older unless you make your living off of it somehow. The injuries would just be too risky.

As reknowned striker Crocop illustrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGBmjJZuTU

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing with the ice sounds stupid because you wouldnt feel injuries.

At your gym they probably wont make you run alot because it takes more time than the 30 - 40 mins of warmup that they are usually willing to invest. In Thailand running plays a major part of a thaiboxers training and I really recommend that you run at least twice a week.

Remember that Muaythai is more of an endurance than a strength sport.

iLoveCookies

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have never heard of icing your hands before training. Perhaps after if you find yourself with some sort of severe bruising. It would almost be useless seeing how once you wrap your hands and put them in gloves they would be warm before you even start training.

Running is very important... or any sort of cardiovascular training (ie: jump rope, bike, sprints) While 3, five minute rounds may seem like nothing. It is a grueling battle.

I would agree that with training 3-5 times a week I find myself struggling to keep weight on. So I have to eat alot, 6 to 8 meals a day.

Just be smart, wrap your hands well so you dont bruise your knuckles and you will be fine. Start out slow, with 15 to 20 minutes of running a day until you build up to where you want to be.