misrep and using fake pic on dating site

joe45

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
my friend wants to now if you can get charged or go to jail if you misrepresent yourself on a dating site-this being plentyoffish.com.
meaning he says hes 6 feet tall when he is really 5 6 and also using a fake pic he stole from someone in England(who is better looking than he is). he will also agree to meet this girl for coffee-ofc she will think that its the guy in the pic, but in reality shes not.
when she find out its not him -can he get charged or go to jail for misrep or fraud. hes wonderin. i don't think so, but just asking. when she shows up, he'll just say oh my friend didn't want to come, so i came instead or jsut say nothing meet up with the girl as if nothing did occur

so is it legal or not .

where can you find this out? if its legal or illegal.

prairiedog24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I may be a law student and a rock star, but I'm not an attorney, so this isn't legal advice. If you want real legal advice, get an attorney.

Short answer:
A fundamental principle in American Law is that one cannot sue you unless damage has been caused. Here, there's no harm being caused by the misrepresentation, so as far as I know, your friend is in the clear.

Shorter answer:
Does it need to be illegal not to do it? Isn't merely idiotic enough?

Tyson420

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine does that, she basically goes to the meet spot and she basically hides and gives instructions to her date to show herself(lesbians). Only to check if it's the real person.

I think that's some pretty creepy **** but it gets the job done so..

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like joe45's gears are a-turnin and he's got himself a plan to trick women into meeting with him. The way you phrase it is like you're plotting rather than speculating.

mtlwlu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it would be more interesting, if he makes a real profile and a fake one, the real one with have lots of details and show personality the other one will have hot (no homo) pictures with little context, message the same girls...i bet looks win.

snackwitch

Don Juan
Reaction score
joe45 said:
my friend wants to now if you can get charged or go to jail if you misrepresent yourself on a dating site-this being plentyoffish.com.
meaning he says hes 6 feet tall when he is really 5 6 and also using a fake pic he stole from someone in England(who is better looking than he is). he will also agree to meet this girl for coffee-ofc she will think that its the guy in the pic, but in reality shes not.
when she find out its not him -can he get charged or go to jail for misrep or fraud. hes wonderin. i don't think so, but just asking. when she shows up, he'll just say oh my friend didn't want to come, so i came instead or jsut say nothing meet up with the girl as if nothing did occur

so is it legal or not .

where can you find this out? if its legal or illegal.

The real question is this trick worth pulling off? If its just for ****s and giggles, sure go ahead. But will this net you any *****? Very very unlikely.

All this is false advertising. Women do it all the time with their pushup bras, corsets, makeup and other stuff they put on to make themselves look more attractive.

Prod

Don Juan
Reaction score
"Of course the girl will not realise" - You can't possibly think that.