Milli Vanilli story and the music artists of today.

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After watching and reading about this story.....Im just in a distraught mood right now.

My friend who happens to be a local musician himself told me most musicians use backing tracks and sound masking or some crap like that....it covers up for the artists mistakes during the performance.

I like the idea of musicians having a clean performance...not a rigged one....

are most artists in the music industry like this?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
are most artists in the music industry like this?
No, they are concentrated in the mainstream popular music industry. Not so much in music outside the mainstream like Jazz, Alternative, Metal, Punk, Prog rock, Goth, et cetera.

If you listen to music long enough, you realise that there are businesses like Disney who push child TV stars with teen appeal to branch out into the music business, like Britney Spears, Selena Gomez, Christina Aquilera, Justin Timberlake, et cetera. In fact most boybands are owned by producers who 'assemble' bands in which virtually nobody plays an instrument (this is especially common in Kpop), so anytime you see some cute boys / girls dancing and singing but no musicians in sight (*****cat Dolls, Fifth Harmony, Sugababes, Spice Girls, to name a few) you can be sure that their music is heavily produced.
This isn't exactly 'new', Berry Gordy built Motown on producing 'girl groups'. Check out 'The Wrecking Crew' and you'll realise that the same group of studio musicians play on the records of a lot of 'bands'. Another thing is that producers main interest is in making money, so when something starts to 'trend', they immediately hop on the gravy train. Check out 'the Monkees' a produced band that was an American producer's version of the Beatles.

In short, stay outside the mainstream, where most of the money is made, and you'll find that most musicians make music for the music, not the money.

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, they are concentrated in the mainstream popular music industry. Not so much in music outside the mainstream like Jazz, Alternative, Metal, Punk, Prog rock, Goth, et cetera.

If you listen to music long enough, you realise that there are businesses like Disney who push child TV stars with teen appeal to branch out into the music business, like Britney Spears, Selena Gomez, Christina Aquilera, Justin Timberlake, et cetera. In fact most boybands are owned by producers who 'assemble' bands in which virtually nobody plays an instrument (this is especially common in Kpop), so anytime you see some cute boys / girls dancing and singing but no musicians in sight (*****cat Dolls, Fifth Harmony, Sugababes, Spice Girls, to name a few) you can be sure that their music is heavily produced.
This isn't exactly 'new', Berry Gordy built Motown on producing 'girl groups'. Check out 'The Wrecking Crew' and you'll realise that the same group of studio musicians play on the records of a lot of 'bands'. Another thing is that producers main interest is in making money, so when something starts to 'trend', they immediately hop on the gravy train. Check out 'the Monkees' a produced band that was an American producer's version of the Beatles.

In short, stay outside the mainstream, where most of the money is made, and you'll find that most musicians make music for the music, not the money.
But I still happen to enjoy some of the music of the older hardrock bands in the 70s like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company and Lynyrd Skynyrd....are those bands legit and don't fake their concerts?

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But I still happen to enjoy some of the music of the older hardrock bands in the 70s like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company and Lynyrd Skynyrd....are those bands legit and don't fake their concerts?
You saw them play their instruments, yes?

Compare to:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taylor Swift's story is that her rich daddy decided when she was very young that she was going to be famous. He bought her a tour bus from Cher at one point and also bought a stake in a record company to bribe them to make her first album. She can't sing or dance, and isn't even very attractive, but she's a billionaire, because she had rich parents.

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Taylor Swift's story is that her rich daddy decided when she was very young that she was going to be famous. He bought her a tour bus from Cher at one point and also bought a stake in a record company to bribe them to make her first album. She can't sing or dance, and isn't even very attractive, but she's a billionaire, because she had rich parents.
Ive only heard one song from her throughout my entirety of my vacation here in The Philippines and thats a train cover- “ Drops of Jupiter’ off a concert in 2011.

Whenever Im in America and Im out driving and listening to the radio…not a day go by that I don’t hear from her.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
She can't sing or dance, and isn't even very attractive, but she's a billionaire, because she had rich parents.
Not to mention asking 900-1200 euro for a concert ticket.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whenever Im in America and Im out driving and listening to the radio…not a day go by that I don’t hear from her.
One more reason not to listen to the radio.

I'm glad my teenage daughter isn't a Swifty, but she was raised on real music.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait until you hear about the Beatles and Tavistock, OP. Paul and John were both replaced.

Reaction score
Metallica doesn't fake it at a concert. If they are too drunk or high, you'll hear it and it will be ok and everyone will live through it. If they offer tickets for a make up show, they will play their hearts out.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do not recall seeing Tom Jones, Janet Jackson, or Paula Abdul playing instruments.
Sure, be obtuse. All three don't play instruments. Their singing voice is supposed to be their instrument. And they're incomparable:
Tom Jones can really sing. And I'm pretty sure you can see a band playing behind him.
Janet Jackson needs autotune and a sh*tload of dancers to distract you from her 'singing'.
Paula Abdul is a dancer and choreographer, not a singer. Like Janet > autotune and dancers and probably a backing tape as well.

Please come back when you have a better taste in music than Milli Vanilli and their ilk. You're embarrassing yourself revealing that you saw Paula Abdul 'live'. Even confessing to a RuPaul Drag Show attendance would be less shameful.

Last edited: