Mentor required

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The major problems I have found is accountability, information overload, overanalysis and fear in my quest to become a dj. What I have found that helped me in other areas, is to have a mentor who would set me tasks, demand reports and bust me if he found out that I was slipping, and motivate me and encourage me along the way.

I have read numerous posts and the bible many times, but the application and development of the habits I need is my downfall.

Would an experienced DJ be willing to mentor me over the next 6 weeks?

I am at college for the next 4 weeks and then working in the City of London, so there are ample opportunities avaliable.

I am a willing student, and will do whatever you ask me to.

RKTek

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll help you, and here's my advice:

GET OUT THERE AND HUMILIATE YOURSELF.

Do whatever feels 'natural'. Make every mistake in the book, and some that aren't in the book. The main thing is to try a different technique because one definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing yet expecting a different outcome. Make a fool of yourself in every way possible.

Sounds harsh?

It isn't.

The best learned lessons are the most painful ones. Everyone knows that book-learning doesn't hold a candle to practical field experience. Having someone guide you by the hand to make sure you never fall and hurt yourself will give you weak legs and thin skin.

The problem is, you're afraid to fall. You're afraid to fail. You're afraid of humiliation, sorrow, a woman's derisive laughter, the torment of your so-called friends saying "told you so". Yet it is enduring just such things that will make you a man. A REAL man, not a book-schooled pansy that never got his knees skinned.

Get out there and make mistakes, get slapped, laughed at and rejected. It's the best thing you could ever do. After a few months of this, THEN come back here and ask for help. Even money says you won't need nearly as much, as just reading a few posts in the DJ Bible will suddenly make crystal clear sense.

Get out there. Now.

Mizer

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I were yor mentor, my first assignment for you would be very similar to RK TEK's. Now go and get rejected.....Now!!!

Mizer

Last edited:

A1SteakSauce

Don Juan
Reaction score
One little trick I've used when I feel weak: do something you *know* you're gonna get rejected on. Like ask the lady in line ahead of you if you can checkout first. She's gonna say no, and be miffed, and put up the sheild. So, there's rejection #1. Did it hurt that bad? You were polite, you were nice, she said no, you walked away, big ff-ing deal? Not really

I was actually doing this at the Metro, asking the security guard if I could ride free. She goes, "No sir," real cold. So I go, "why not?" acting a little hurt. We had a friendly little conversation about it b/c I didn't walk away, just kept it going for a bit until I felt good. It was just my warmup b/c I was going to a protest to try to pickup chicks (that is a great vibe). The big payoff though was another woman who had asked the guard for directions came over and bought my ticket for me (like $2), and basically picked me up for the afternoon, ended up buying my lunch and drink. She wanted more I think, but she was married, so we had a nice date, I felt like a stud, but the point is, it all starts with getting rejected and not caring.

A1

silverdog

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like RKTek's advice ;)

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Me too. I guess as I am so old I am fearful of humiliation as I am used to succeeding in other areas of life. I have planned an exhibition to town this afternoon when I am gonna get 10 rejections.