Logic behind women's behavior from an evolutionary biology point of view

Alpha-A

Don Juan
Reaction score
Evolutionary biology is the science of the origin and changes of the species. Questions that arise in this field are the ones many of you are interested in.

Everything people or other species do or think derives from the fact that we want to pass our genes over to the next generation.

So how do certain behavior that women express increase their chances of getting the best male and the best offspring?

For instance:

1. Why do women (and men) like rollercoster/uncertainty emotions? This, like everything else, must increase their likelyhood of finding a good man and raise good kids.

2. Why do many women like abusive men?

And you can probably come up with your own questions and fill in.

Remember, every behavior stems from evolutionary behavior. The only ones who don't agree are a few creationists who don't believe in evolutionary biology.

The_Reaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
True. Evolutionary psychology is the key to understanding human nature, but unfortunately the whole idea is saddled with moral and political baggage. Not just Creationists deny the existence of a biological human nature stemming from evolution, but so do many scientists and academics, because it appears to threathen humane, progressive values.

It's fascinating to me. Evolutionary psychology will some day be called just psychology.

Alpha-A

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hardly any scientists deny this. But sure, some moralists might deny it even if they call them self scientists.

I have yet to see a reputated scientist to question the basis of Darwin and his followers evolutionary biology.

Ok, I'll try to give short answers to the questions I first stated:

1. It is the law of scarcity. If something is hard to get, find, or hang on to, it is usually something valuable. And people want valuable things.

2. This is a hard one. It could be that they see these as men with power. Or it could be that their dad, who they love, also treated them like that. So then they connect abusive treatment with love. According to some, the line between different feelings are thin, so it doesn't differ so much if it's fear or love they feel. As you all know, scary movies makes many girls horny.

My 2 cents! (I probably have a few more cents but not enough time now)

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AA, the subject is fascinating. Here we are in the year 2007, and we are living in the plush comfort of modern, "advanced" society, and we have supposedly shed many of our rudimentary evolutionary coping mechanisms...conciously.

Many of these vestigial behaviors have their roots in our ancient evolutionary history, but a lot of it is just educated guesswork...why do we do that, why do we do this?

I doubt the traits you listed here are direct qualities we seek in mating partners, but they are most likely qualities which are attached to other personality traits which did prove advantageous in the mating dance...me in bold...

Alpha-A said:
....>

For instance:

1. Why do women (and men) like rollercoster/uncertainty emotions? This, like everything else, must increase their likelyhood of finding a good man and raise good kids. This is a damn good question. I think it ties in to the conflict we face in the battle between our raw animal instincts and this ideal state of "committment" that has taken root due to our advanced "higher mind" taking hold of our actions.

2. Why do many women like abusive men?
Probably relates to the whole "alpha" male thing. I don't believe primitive man was concerned about wife/sexual abuse and the most virile males took what they wanted without asking permission lol

And you can probably come up with your own questions and fill in.

Remember, every behavior stems from evolutionary behavior. The only ones who don't agree are a few creationists who don't believe in evolutionary biology.