Krav Maga

DJKid

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this martial art? From a book I just glanced at it seems like its a very practical self defense which incorporates techniques from boxing, muay thai, and even submission and throwing arts...

It seems like it focuses on the body's natural movements also which sounds appealing as it may not take years and years to build a solid foundation.

apusislaya

Banned
Reaction score
yea, Krav Maga is a very nasty art of killing people. There is a civilian version, which is a version of street fighting using dirty techniques, which will injure but not kill, usually. In Krav u gain unfair advantage by hitting balls, neck, and other points. While your opponent is gasping in pain, you finish him off.

Krav was made by people occupying enemy territory, with enemies all around, sick and tired of occupation, angry and wanting revenge.

In recent years there was a fad of Krav as a save all martial art. BS in my opinion.

Only one reason to learn it, that would be to kill people.

If you ever watched Steven Seagal movies, that's pretty much how efficient and dirty Krav is. At least in its military form. If you ever going to join army, any army, any nation, training you will receive will be how to kill people in hand to hand combat. That's pretty much what Krav is. Nothing more, just an efficient killing technique.

It is a fad, because people marketing it advertise it as self defense course. BS. lol. it's not even a sport.

apusislaya

Banned
Reaction score
just as efficient though

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I earned my green belt(level 4) in Krav last spring. I take it from the official Krav Maga training center in Los Angeles. There are smaller schools that offer courses in Krav Maga along with other arts too, but I don't know if those are the real deal. But where I go, it's the real deal, the N. American headquarters for KM.

I'd highly recommend it. KM is everything that's effective in a fight boiled down to one system. It takes the best techniques from many different systems and combines them. No katas, no forms, mo meditating, none of that, KM just gives you what you need the second you walk in the door. I haven't had to use it in the streets yet as I'm pretty good at staying away from trouble. But I have little doubt that I could whip some ass if I had to.

Added benefit is that it'll keep you in top shape. KM is VERY intense.

DJKid

Banned
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I earned my green belt(level 4) in Krav last spring. I take it from the official Krav Maga training center in Los Angeles. There are smaller schools that offer courses in Krav Maga along with other arts too, but I don't know if those are the real deal. But where I go, it's the real deal, the N. American headquarters for KM.

I'd highly recommend it. KM is everything that's effective in a fight boiled down to one system. It takes the best techniques from many different systems and combines them. No katas, no forms, mo meditating, none of that, KM just gives you what you need the second you walk in the door. I haven't had to use it in the streets yet as I'm pretty good at staying away from trouble. But I have little doubt that I could whip some ass if I had to.

Excellent. That sounds like exactly the martial art I'm looking for. Do you have a web site where I can find an official center that teaches the real? I live in the New York/New Jersey area so I'd assume there should be something. How can I make sure its official and not some imitation school?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJKid said:
Excellent. That sounds like exactly the martial art I'm looking for. Do you have a web site where I can find an official center that teaches the real? I live in the New York/New Jersey area so I'd assume there should be something. How can I make sure its official and not some imitation school?
http://www.kravmaga.com/latraining.asp

That's the U.S. headquarters for Krav, from there you should be able to find a directory of official training centers across the country or at least inquire, I think most major cities should have at least one. Just don't go to one of those McDojo places that offers KM on the side, get the real deal.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Krav Maga sounds amazing. Once I'm better at the MA's I'm currently doing I am going to sign up for a couple sessions. If anyone out there is in Toronto we are lucky to have an offical school downtown so check it out !

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:

do you know anything about the rep of the Krav Maga center in Sherman Oaks? I'm planning to take classes starting January and trying to research some schools around LA

speakeasy2

Banned
Reaction score
ready123 said:
do you know anything about the rep of the Krav Maga center in Sherman Oaks? I'm planning to take classes starting January and trying to research some schools around LA
That's actually the one that I go to. There are 2 centers in Sherman Oaks a couple blocks from each other. All 3 in the L.A. area, the one in west L.A. and the 2 in sherman oaks are official, the sherman oaks just being the suburban branch. There's one now in Simi Valley too. The Sherman Oaks branch is the real deal so no issues there. Plus they offer other classes too like Brazilian Jujitsu, fight club, and fitness classes.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am not big on Krav maga. I seen a guy at the gym hitting the heavy bag with kicks and punches. I looked at him and I said this guy doesn't look like a boxer(hands didn't look good). His kicks looked descent( But not like a muy thai fighter). His stand up looked like it could be better. I asked him what his style was and he said Krav maga. Me and him had a 20 minute conversation on Martial arts. He said the Krav maga here is sh1t and the only place to get it is in israel in the army. He also said that he could survive a four man attack. He said he learned the real krav maga in the israeli defense forces. When I asked him do you guys do grappling he responds with Yeah we take the best of each style and use it he says. When I asked him how do you guys finish a guillotine choke( Most basic choke in the world and there are a few details that you need to finish it and he didn;t know how to finish one.

I am not big on Krav maga. I think everything they do is watered down. And I don't believe in weapons defense. If you have a 44 pointed at you I don't care what you know your ****ED. Krav Maga is a good system but it hasn't been proven. Gracie jiu-jitsu is the most proven martial art system in the world with out a doubt.

If anyone wants to argue with me hook up some links of krav maga on the street. There probably are none.

Krav maga reminds me of someone who is a swimmer but has never been in a pool.

To the Krav maga guys.
- Grapple a blue belt in jiu-jitsu
- Wrestle with a guy that wrestled in highschool
- Box with a guy with 5 amateur fights.

You will probably lose.

Krav maga says there art is so effective. . They will not street fight with a brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt because supposedly there art it too deadly. :rolleyes:

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I would like to learn something like that. Some form of self defense that is effective without all of the other art form stuff. Also something that covers everything and could be used in a real fight.

I don't know much about krav maga what about in a no rules street fight? Facing the wrestler on his feet? The boxer on the ground? etc.

All of this 'omg my martial art is better' seems crap to me, I just want to find something that works for me.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
I am not big on Krav maga. I seen a guy at the gym hitting the heavy bag with kicks and punches. I looked at him and I said this guy doesn't look like a boxer(hands didn't look good). His kicks looked descent( But not like a muy thai fighter). His stand up looked like it could be better. I asked him what his style was and he said Krav maga.
So what? How do you know that HE just wasn't a good fighter. I see a wide range of talent in my KM classes. There's dudes in there I'd be afraid to piss off, and there's dudes in there I think would get their asses handed to them in the streets. But I'd say this about other martial arts disciplines I've taken too. You can give people the technique but not everybody is going to become good at it. Just like Phil Jackson can coach me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to become another Kobe.

Me and him had a 20 minute conversation on Martial arts. He said the Krav maga here is sh1t and the only place to get it is in israel in the army.
That's not true. Krav in Israel is taught for military techniques. I've seen documentaries on this. So for example, you might be taught how to use your M16 as a striking weapon, and things like terrorist disarmaments. But as far as the fighting itself, it's essentially the same. They incorporate killing techniques which they don't teach to civilians(and I don't think it's legal to teach civilians in the U.S. anyway). But saying U.S. KM is crap is nonsense. How can it be? It borrows the best techniques from system. Another thing, he may have been taking KM at a McDojo that offers it alongside other techniques, rather getting it straight from an offical KM training center. From what I've heard, the former is crap. But where I go, it's pretty good. It's no different than any MMA school, except with things like gun and knife defenses and other self-defense techiques that you might not get in a pure MMA class.

He also said that he could survive a four man attack.
So a minute ago you were telling me that his techniques looked weak, now you're telling me he could survive a four man attack? People can make up anything. Has he actually been in a four man attack? I don't think any martial art is going to save you from 4 dudes pounding you at once. 2 probably, 3 is pushing it, 4 I highly doubt it.

When I asked him how do you guys finish a guillotine choke( Most basic choke in the world and there are a few details that you need to finish it and he didn;t know how to finish one.
I've been taught the technique in class. Did you ever think that maybe just HE sucks? You are basing your entire opinion of a system on ONE guy you met?? How dumb is that? So if I meet one guy who sucks at Hapkido, I can assume that Hapkido sucks?

And I don't believe in weapons defense. If you have a 44 pointed at you I don't care what you know your ****ED.
Well keep believing that, and if your head goes rolling down the sidewalk after he squeezes the trigger, maybe you'll wish you learned something. In fact, you shouldn't talk about things you apparently no nothing about. First of all, the gun defenses are ONLY effective if at point blank range. Obviously if someone is shooting at your from 20ft away you're f-cked. But if someone puts a gun at your head or chest, you CAN thwart the attack. National Geographic Channel had a documentary on self-defense techniques and one segment they were showing the KM gun disarm methods. What you have to understand is that the very first rule of gun defense is to deflect the line of fire. He can squeeze the trigger all he wants, but if you are out of the line of fire, you won't get shot. It takes about .10 of a second to deflect a gun, quicker than the blink of eye. It takes him about .25 seconds for his brain to register what happen, then send the single down to his finger and squeeze the trigger. Try it yourself, have a friend get a water gun, aim it at your head, tell him to spray you the second he sees your hand moving to deflect the line of fire. He WON'T be able to do it. Your arm will ALWAYS redirect the weapon faster than he can fire. It once the weapon is redirected, you are out of the line of fire and then you go into disarming techniques. For example look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUlc1W95nDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwroUXFtvc

Also, and importantly, the first thing they teach you is that if someone is robbing you on the street, just give up the money, it's not worth the risk over the $50 in your wallet. If you haven't mastered the techniques, you are risking your life for nothing really. Give him the money and he'll go away. Now there are circumstances, where the person with the gun doesn't want to rob you. Maybe he found out you banged his girlfriend a month ago and finds you and sticks a gun in your face. Now what? You'd be better off with some techniques under your belt than without.

Krav Maga is a good system but it hasn't been proven. Gracie jiu-jitsu is the most proven martial art system in the world with out a doubt.
BJJ is good for only one thing, that's ground fighting. Some people are very skilled at avoiding take downs, like Chuck Lidell. If the BJJ fighter can't get you to the ground, he's useless. You might be able to get by with some clown on the street who can't fight using only BJJ, but most MMA schools(and my KM school) incorporate takedown defense. So if the BJJ guy can't take you down and BJJ is all he's got, he's toast.

If anyone wants to argue with me hook up some links of krav maga on the street. There probably are none.
Huh? I can't find real fights on youtube of ANY martial arts discipline. The only one I've ever been able to find was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07u7KdRVo0

And even in that video, he didn't really do any technique, he just seemed to have got a lucky punch in at the end. All other fights on youtube are just normal brawls. And what would a KM fight on the street look like anyway? It would look a lot like a normal MMA fight. Which is pretty much what it looks like when we do sparring rounds at my school.

To the Krav maga guys.
That's like telling a Karate guy to grapple a blue belt in jujitsu, that's f-cking stupid. If you come from a striking discipline like KM, Muay Thai, etc, you trained to stay OFF the ground. And in a real situation, if you go to the ground, it's like going to mean you fighting the guy with his friends running up kicking you in the back of the head. BJJ is ONLY useful when it's one on one and if the opponent doesn't have good takedown defense skills.

Same response as above.

If I was fighting a boxer on the street, I wouldn't box with him, I'd send a roundhouse kick to his head. No matter how long a boxers arms are, they're never going to be longer than my legs. No boxers punches are going to be stronger than my kicks. Secondly, boxing is a competitive sport, not a survival sport. KM is not about competition, it's about ending a fight as quickly as possible. There are no rules, strikes to groin, to the throat, to the eyes are all fair game. KM is about nothing other than doing what you gotta do to walk home safe.

Krav maga says there art is so effective. . They will not street fight with a brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt because supposedly there art it too deadly. :rolleyes:
I've taken a fair share of BJJ classes myself. It's not hard to get off the ground when you are taken down. BJJ is primarily a COMPETITIVE art, once again. It has rules. If someone has me in their guard, what's stopping me from using my fingers as daggers and skewering his eyeballs? That would end a fight very quickly. And like I said, you can be tough sh-t on the ground, but you won't be when his 3 friends run up and start kicking you in the head. BJJ is good for what it is and everybody should know at least some, but don't be under some illusion that that's ALL you ever need to survive on the street. If the guy your fighting knows how to avoid take downs or he has friends across the street, it's over for you. With other systems, Karate, KM, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, if you're really good, you should be able to take on multiple attackers at once and having a fighting chance. There's no such thing as a BJJ guy taking on multiple attackers at once. BJJ is good, but it has its weaknesses. Don't make it out to be more than it is!

DJKid

Banned
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
So what? How do you know that HE just wasn't a good fighter. I see a wide range of talent in my KM classes. There's dudes in there I'd be afraid to piss off, and there's dudes in there I think would get their asses handed to them in the streets. But I'd say this about other martial arts disciplines I've taken too. You can give people the technique but not everybody is going to become good at it. Just like Phil Jackson can coach me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to become another Kobe.

That's not true. Krav in Israel is taught for military techniques. I've seen documentaries on this. So for example, you might be taught how to use your M16 as a striking weapon, and things like terrorist disarmaments. But as far as the fighting itself, it's essentially the same. They incorporate killing techniques which they don't teach to civilians(and I don't think it's legal to teach civilians in the U.S. anyway). But saying U.S. KM is crap is nonsense. How can it be? It borrows the best techniques from system. Another thing, he may have been taking KM at a McDojo that offers it alongside other techniques, rather getting it straight from an offical KM training center. From what I've heard, the former is crap. But where I go, it's pretty good. It's no different than any MMA school, except with things like gun and knife defenses and other self-defense techiques that you might not get in a pure MMA class.

So a minute ago you were telling me that his techniques looked weak, now you're telling me he could survive a four man attack? People can make up anything. Has he actually been in a four man attack? I don't think any martial art is going to save you from 4 dudes pounding you at once. 2 probably, 3 is pushing it, 4 I highly doubt it.

I've been taught the technique in class. Did you ever think that maybe just HE sucks? You are basing your entire opinion of a system on ONE guy you met?? How dumb is that? So if I meet one guy who sucks at Hapkido, I can assume that Hapkido sucks?

Well keep believing that, and if your head goes rolling down the sidewalk after he squeezes the trigger, maybe you'll wish you learned something. In fact, you shouldn't talk about things you apparently no nothing about. First of all, the gun defenses are ONLY effective if at point blank range. Obviously if someone is shooting at your from 20ft away you're f-cked. But if someone puts a gun at your head or chest, you CAN thwart the attack. National Geographic Channel had a documentary on self-defense techniques and one segment they were showing the KM gun disarm methods. What you have to understand is that the very first rule of gun defense is to deflect the line of fire. He can squeeze the trigger all he wants, but if you are out of the line of fire, you won't get shot. It takes about .10 of a second to deflect a gun, quicker than the blink of eye. It takes him about .25 seconds for his brain to register what happen, then send the single down to his finger and squeeze the trigger. Try it yourself, have a friend get a water gun, aim it at your head, tell him to spray you the second he sees your hand moving to deflect the line of fire. He WON'T be able to do it. Your arm will ALWAYS redirect the weapon faster than he can fire. It once the weapon is redirected, you are out of the line of fire and then you go into disarming techniques. For example look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUlc1W95nDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwroUXFtvc

Also, and importantly, the first thing they teach you is that if someone is robbing you on the street, just give up the money, it's not worth the risk over the $50 in your wallet. If you haven't mastered the techniques, you are risking your life for nothing really. Give him the money and he'll go away. Now there are circumstances, where the person with the gun doesn't want to rob you. Maybe he found out you banged his girlfriend a month ago and finds you and sticks a gun in your face. Now what? You'd be better off with some techniques under your belt than without.

BJJ is good for only one thing, that's ground fighting. Some people are very skilled at avoiding take downs, like Chuck Lidell. If the BJJ fighter can't get you to the ground, he's useless. You might be able to get by with some clown on the street who can't fight using only BJJ, but most MMA schools(and my KM school) incorporate takedown defense. So if the BJJ guy can't take you down and BJJ is all he's got, he's toast.

Huh? I can't find real fights on youtube of ANY martial arts discipline. The only one I've ever been able to find was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07u7KdRVo0

And even in that video, he didn't really do any technique, he just seemed to have got a lucky punch in at the end. All other fights on youtube are just normal brawls. And what would a KM fight on the street look like anyway? It would look a lot like a normal MMA fight. Which is pretty much what it looks like when we do sparring rounds at my school.

That's like telling a Karate guy to grapple a blue belt in jujitsu, that's f-cking stupid. If you come from a striking discipline like KM, Muay Thai, etc, you trained to stay OFF the ground. And in a real situation, if you go to the ground, it's like going to mean you fighting the guy with his friends running up kicking you in the back of the head. BJJ is ONLY useful when it's one on one and if the opponent doesn't have good takedown defense skills.

Same response as above.

If I was fighting a boxer on the street, I wouldn't box with him, I'd send a roundhouse kick to his head. No matter how long a boxers arms are, they're never going to be longer than my legs. No boxers punches are going to be stronger than my kicks. Secondly, boxing is a competitive sport, not a survival sport. KM is not about competition, it's about ending a fight as quickly as possible. There are no rules, strikes to groin, to the throat, to the eyes are all fair game. KM is about nothing other than doing what you gotta do to walk home safe.

I've taken a fair share of BJJ classes myself. It's not hard to get off the ground when you are taken down. BJJ is primarily a COMPETITIVE art, once again. It has rules. If someone has me in their guard, what's stopping me from using my fingers as daggers and skewering his eyeballs? That would end a fight very quickly. And like I said, you can be tough sh-t on the ground, but you won't be when his 3 friends run up and start kicking you in the head. BJJ is good for what it is and everybody should know at least some, but don't be under some illusion that that's ALL you ever need to survive on the street. If the guy your fighting knows how to avoid take downs or he has friends across the street, it's over for you. With other systems, Karate, KM, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, if you're really good, you should be able to take on multiple attackers at once and having a fighting chance. There's no such thing as a BJJ guy taking on multiple attackers at once. BJJ is good, but it has its weaknesses. Don't make it out to be more than it is!

Excellent response man, I agree with you 100%

I wanted to ask you... you recommend going to a N. American headquarters for KM school... is this the same as the original Krav Maga taught in Israel? Cause in reading your thread it looked like you said that don't teach you how to kill people, is that the case? Is the N. American Headquarters basically the closest teaching we could get to the original here in the USA?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJKid said:
Excellent response man, I agree with you 100%

I wanted to ask you... you recommend going to a N. American headquarters for KM school... is this the same as the original Krav Maga taught in Israel? Cause in reading your thread it looked like you said that don't teach you how to kill people, is that the case? Is the N. American Headquarters basically the closest teaching we could get to the original here in the USA?
We've never been taught any killing techniques and I've been doing it 3 years now. But they do teach killing techniques to the Israeli military. I think the Israel version is going to be more like boot camp. But if you go to an offical KM school in the U.S. where all they teach is KM, you should be cool.

Btw, these guys in the first two are instructors at my school demonstrating KM techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C3XNDyVXRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FgH5uPYu8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jnqD8wvyE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0bkr5oepU&feature=related

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To speak easy.. I swear I could post 100 fights on youtube with bjj in it. Have you seen how effective Karate, TKD, Muythai arts were in the early UFC's. If you can't grapple you will lose against a grappler in a street fight.

Were is krav maga's proof of how effective it is? Were are the tapes? The videos? bjj has 1000 videos to prove how effective it is.

You talk about multiple attackers? Have a top krav maga guy take on 3 average thugs off the street no rules for 2 minutes and post it on videotape. Why won't they do that? KM is based on theory..

Seeing is believing. KM is like believing in the tooth fairy.

Lets face it speakeasy if it wasn't for the early UFC's we would still believe in the karate death touch. and all these BS pressure points. The gracie family made every martial art better. Every martial art now understood that you need a ground game otherwise your BB in karate is useless.

Get 100 blackbelts in bjj and 100 km masters that are of equal size and the bjj guys would beat them 97/100 times.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
from what I've seen Krav Maga focuses practical defense that would go down in a street fight where your life is on the line. disarming, dirty fighting, stuff you would do if you were getting mugged, not in an octagon. the practical nature is why I wanna learn it

if someone is pointing a gun at you, or has a knife to your throat? are you gonna armbar your way out of there?

I've seen many striker vs grappler MMA fights where the tide turns back and forth and it's obvious where BJJ's strengths and weaknesses lie. sometimes the striker wins, sometimes the grappler wins. I was at K1 Dynamite where Royce Gracie fought Sakaruba and watched Gracie lay on his back for half the match because he had no confidence beyond his ground game

speaking of multiple attackers, 3 guys tried to mug one of my friends a few weeks ago. a guy on each side to cage him in and a guy from the front to punch him and take the wallet. my friend did this to get away - kicked the guy in front, headbutted one of the guys to the side, rushed and tackled the third guy to the ground, then nike defense back to his car. how much ground game was in there? should he have hung around and tried to make them tap out?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
To speak easy.. I swear I could post 100 fights on youtube with bjj in it. Have you seen how effective Karate, TKD, Muythai arts were in the early UFC's. If you can't grapple you will lose against a grappler in a street fight.
Look dude, who cares about the early UFC. The reason BJJ did so great early on is because nobody knew about it. But the cat has long been out of the bag and EVERYBODY has now trained in some ground fighting. You think some guy would last any longer in the UFC doing ONLY BJJ? Look what happened to Royce Gracie after everyone else got wise to takedown defense. He got his ass handed to him because he sucks sh-t as a striker. I saw a video of him training for that fight against Matt Hughes where he lost and he was trying to bring his stirking skills up to speed, he looked awful! It was no wonder he lost the fight.

Were is krav maga's proof of how effective it is? Were are the tapes? The videos? bjj has 1000 videos to prove how effective it is.
Oh really? You have videos showing someone using BJJ on the street with no rules? And what did he do when the guys friends jumped in? And I mean someone using BJJ and ONLY BJJ? Sorry dude, only learning BJJ alone isn't going to cut it anymore. Not even Royce Gracie can survive in the octagon anymore.

You talk about multiple attackers? Have a top krav maga guy take on 3 average thugs off the street no rules for 2 minutes and post it on videotape. Why won't they do that? KM is based on theory..
Dude, I PERSONALLY KNOW KM guys that have fought off multiple attackers on the street, give it up already.

Why don't you go down to your closest KM training center and spar with a KM black belt. Before you do so, make sure your health insurance is paid up first.

Lets face it speakeasy if it wasn't for the early UFC's we would still believe in the karate death touch. and all these BS pressure points. The gracie family made every martial art better. Every martial art now understood that you need a ground game otherwise your BB in karate is useless.
The opposite is also true. BJJ guys also need standup game. People know about BJJ now. People have trained to avoid take downs. If all you've got is BJJ these days, you're going to get knocked the f_ck out real quick.

Get 100 blackbelts in bjj and 100 km masters that are of equal size and the bjj guys would beat them 97/100 times.
I would gladly spar no holds barred with a BJJ guy of equal size and rank. If he can't get me to the ground, he's got nothing. I practice take down defense all the time. And I can handle my sh-t on the ground if I do go down. The BJJ guys don't scare me one bit.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ready123 said:
I've seen many striker vs grappler MMA fights where the tide turns back and forth and it's obvious where BJJ's strengths and weaknesses lie. sometimes the striker wins, sometimes the grappler wins. I was at K1 Dynamite where Royce Gracie fought Sakaruba and watched Gracie lay on his back for half the match because he had no confidence beyond his ground game
I was at that fight at the Olympic colloseum. One of the boringest fights I've ever seen. Their previous matchup was legendary, the last one was just bullsh-t.

speaking of multiple attackers, 3 guys tried to mug one of my friends a few weeks ago. a guy on each side to cage him in and a guy from the front to punch him and take the wallet. my friend did this to get away - kicked the guy in front, headbutted one of the guys to the side, rushed and tackled the third guy to the ground, then nike defense back to his car. how much ground game was in there? should he have hung around and tried to make them tap out?
Exactly, that's why KM's number one rule is do what you gotta do to get home safe. BJJ is ONLY good in a one on one fight. But the second his friends run up, you're toast.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
Look dude, who cares about the early UFC. The reason BJJ did so great early on is because nobody knew about it. But the cat has long been out of the bag and EVERYBODY has now trained in some ground fighting. You think some guy would last any longer in the UFC doing ONLY BJJ? Look what happened to Royce Gracie after everyone else got wise to takedown defense. He got his ass handed to him because he sucks sh-t as a striker. I saw a video of him training for that fight against Matt Hughes where he lost and he was trying to bring his stirking skills up to speed, he looked awful! It was no wonder he lost the fight.

Oh really? You have videos showing someone using BJJ on the street with no rules? And what happened when the dudes friends jumped in? Sorry dude, only learning BJJ alone isn't going to cut it anymore. Not even Royce Gracie can survive in the octagon anymore.

Dude, I PERSONALLY KNOW KM guys that have fought off multiple attackers on the street, give it up already.

Why don't you go down to your closest KM training center and spar with a KM black belt. Before you do so, make sure your health insurance is paid up first.

The opposite is also true. BJJ guys also need standup game. People know about BJJ now. People have trained to avoid take downs. If all you've got is BJJ these days, you're going to get knocked the f_ck out real quick.

I would gladly spar no holds barred with a BJJ guy of equal size and rank. If he can't get me to the ground, he's got nothing. I practice take down defense all the time. And I can handle my sh-t on the ground if I do go down. The BJJ guys don't scare me one bit.