Knee pain everytime i start a cardio workout? Help

Romeo1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Several months ago i started jogging at the park and going up and down hills for and hour and the following day after i would get serious pain in my shins knee down area that i could only jog for 15 seconds after 30 min of jogging,and i would get pain,so i got discourage and decided to stay off my legs for a week and then i would go at it again and same thing,so then 3 months later i decided to jump rope for cardio,even bought myself some running shoes,and it still happens so i got discouraged and stopped its been 1 month and i really want to get into shape but not have this problem,i think there shin splits,it pain is from the knee down it swells up,hurts,do i need vitamins? help please i really wanna be healthy and i know i need to do some cardio! Someone said they could be growing pains i dont know i just turned 24 years old?

Thanks!

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it's in the knee, you could be talking about tendonitis, especially in the padella. I had that when I was in the Corps, got on light duty for awhile and it went away.

I always associate shin splints with running on asphalt. But shin splints get blamed for everything, like the boogeyman. If you have a trainer at your gym, I would consult with them.

change

Don Juan
Reaction score
When I started running I wound up with the same problems. There are a handful of ways to alleviate this.

First, before you work out make sure you srretch very thoroughly.

Second, since you're just starting, your knees arent used to such stress and are probably weak. As much as you'd like to push yourself hard, you should hold back some. As your knees become stronger you can push yourself harder.

Third, make sure you're getting enough support from your shoes. I recommend going to a store especially tailored for runners and have a professional help you.

Fourth, ice your knees well if you're feeling any pain at all after a run.

Fifth, get a knee brace and use it.

Sixth, if your knees are hurting don't run hills. This is especially taxing and can lead to serious injury.

Hopefully this helps. I started running a bit over a year ago and I love it. I hope you will too.

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
^this. Also, try leg exercises (bodyweight) and see if they help, like heel stompers, various bodyweight squats, etc.