Just food no supplements?

DopeFiend

Don Juan
Reaction score
Was wondering if going all food and no supplements is ok for bulking? I have a very fast metabolism and never gain much fat.

Also does it matter if where I get proteins from? Sometimes I don't get meat. And rely on milk, split peas, etc.

Krassus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless you're taking in MASSIVE amounts of protein, meaning 200-300 g / day depending on your weight, the only bulking you'll be doing is in your dreams. If you're not eating meat or taking supplements, i'll be surprised if you're getting even 100g. How can you even lift like that? You gotta start eating tons of lean meats and taking whey protein at the very least. That one supplement CANNOT be overlooked! That and multivitamins.

Neo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krassus
Unless you're taking in MASSIVE amounts of protein, meaning 200-300 g / day depending on your weight, the only bulking you'll be doing is in your dreams. If you're not eating meat or taking supplements, i'll be surprised if you're getting even 100g. How can you even lift like that? You gotta start eating tons of lean meats and taking whey protein at the very least. That one supplement CANNOT be overlooked! That and multivitamins.
yes it can, i've yet to buy one tub of powder and i've put on plenty of mass. Protein can be obtained from fish, eggs, chicken, milk, cottage cheese, and yes, good old fashioned meat.

Krassus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As have thousands of people before you. But if each jug saves you a few dozen hours at the gym, its a really small price to pay.

Runna13=)

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Neo. Say whatever you will, but I'm all about eating natural foods. The only supplement I take is Flintstones multivitamin.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL...

You don't have to take suppliments to get big. I have yet to see someone get cut and keep their bulk w/o supp's.

Just think though, how much bigger could you have gotten if you did take some suppliments? It's just maximizing your potential...

It's like putting crappy gas in a Ferrari. Yeah it'll run. But not the way it could with a higher octane...

Neo

Don Juan
Reaction score
but protein powder isn't better than protein found in foods

Reaction score
Originally posted by Neo
but protein powder isn't better than protein found in foods
Bullshyt. It's probably better than protein found in most foods. It's also one of the most quickly absorbed.

What the hell do you think protein powder is derived from? You think it might be food.. ? :D

Neo

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's made from the waste whey when converting milk to cheese. But just because it's absorbed the quickest doesn't make it the best.

Now, we know that a fast absorbing protein is favoured for post-workout meals, but does anyone have figures for how fast protein from say chicken or tuna is absorbed compared to say Optimum's latest blend?

And victor, why do you think it's probably better?

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whey protein has much better absorption than regular red and white meat, but its main purpose is its quick absorbtion. Therefore, when you bodybuild, you want to take a protein shake post-workout, so that the protein can be utilized effectively.

Still, you can go fine w/o supps.

Eat a lot of eggs, fish, white meat, and take in complex carbs such as oats, brown rice, etc.

BTW, for absorption, egg is up there with whey.

WTFman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I avoid any supplements or vitamins. I'm not one of the biggest guys in the gym (nor do I want to be), however, I have one of the best physiques there. My diet does not have much protien in it. As a matter of fact, it's a myth that you need tons of protien to bulk up (slightly elevated levels for bodybuilding is good, however). Carbs do just as well. Going even further with that line of thought, too much protien can cause certain types of cancer. Also, there is all kinds of information coming about about vitamins that would make me hesitant to take any kind of multi-vitamin. The general idea of the information is that not only are vitamins not really doing anything good but they can actually be harmful. (www.healthcentral.com)

Reaction score
Originally posted by WTFman
I avoid any supplements or vitamins. I'm not one of the biggest guys in the gym (nor do I want to be), however, I have one of the best physiques there. My diet does not have much protien in it. As a matter of fact, it's a myth that you need tons of protien to bulk up (slightly elevated levels for bodybuilding is good, however). Carbs do just as well. Going even further with that line of thought, too much protien can cause certain types of cancer. Also, there is all kinds of information coming about about vitamins that would make me hesitant to take any kind of multi-vitamin. The general idea of the information is that not only are vitamins not really doing anything good but they can actually be harmful. (www.healthcentral.com)
Once again with the outdated training advice. This would have been cutting edge in 1984, not 2004. And it's still as wrong then as it is now.

WTFman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yet again you claim my information is outdated while failing to specify anything or dispute any of it with verifiable references.

Show me where my information is so old with resources. As it was pulled from 03' material.

I also assume you failed to follow the link to the web site I provided which will clarify every thing I wrote.

Rico S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WTFman
The sky is falling!

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by victor von doom
Bullshyt. It's probably better than protein found in most foods. It's also one of the most quickly absorbed.
:D
Yes, but absorbed too quickly and out just as fast in the case of whey. Apart from post workout and maybe first thing in the morning I would go with a blended protein supplement.

To answer the initial question, of course you can make great gains by eating solely whole foods, it's a just a little easier and more convenient to take a protein supplement as well in order to achieve the desired daily amount.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To answer the initial question, of course you can make great gains by eating solely whole foods, it's a just a little easier and more convenient to take a protein supplement as well in order to achieve the desired daily amount.
Exactly.