Is this girl out of my league now?

The Pedantical

Don Juan
Reaction score
She's about my age. Took her out on a date and we were walking around the countryside, then we stopped at an italian cafe. It was pretty run-down and all and the owner was a single mother in her 60s who looked very tired and poor.

Anyway, after we eat, I take out my wallet and empty it in the owner's hands. I felt sorry for her because of the run-down shop and everything, it really looked like she was barely able to survive. So I told her to keep the change and buy some candy for her kid.

So I walk out of the shop with my girl and the owner comes running after us. I figure she's about to break down in tears for because I was so generous. So I tell her that she doesn't have to thank me, and that I know my tip was generous but that in this world we live in generosity should be the standard we all aim at. I said that she shouldn't worry about it and keep the change.

Then the owner said that the problem was that I didn't give enough, that the meal we had costed almost double what I gave. So I check my wallet, but it's empty. My girl ended up having to pay the rest.

She didn't really say anything after that. It was kind of awkward when we walked to the station and since my train got there very quickly we kind of just said good-bye but there wasn't much communication.

Do you guys think this event damaged my chances with her?

JDA70

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys think this event damaged my chances with her?
No I don't think so. I mean you did every thing possible to pay
your dues. Then she helped out.
Just let it be and move on with life.

Last edited:

Lexie

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand where the confusion came in for you. Were there prices on the menu? Was each meal $20? I just don't get where the big oversight happened. I would say the next time you want to ask her out, apologize for what happened and say you'd like to make it up to her.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:crackup: Classic...

Lexie's suggestion about making it up to her is a very good one. It would have been great if you would of said it right then and there. If you had you would have at least known if the experience had screwed up your chances.

Microfiltered

Don Juan
Reaction score
No, that's only one strike man. Don't even worry about it. Pretty funny story though.

meitenesrigas

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like a nice fiction story every once in a while. This one was especially good.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
meitenesrigas said:
I like a nice fiction story every once in a while. This one was especially good.
Maybe the next one will have Ninjas! :woo:

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the title of your thread is misleading. No woman should ever be out of your "league."

That said, it sounds like this old feminist hag scammed you. Why didn't you look at the receipt or something, or bring a credit card, or bring a sufficient amount of cash with you on the date?

The next time you call your chick up, just laugh it off and assure her that you'll cover the tab this time and bring a sufficient amount of cash.

stand

Banned
Reaction score
I think that may classify as two strikes.. Brutal.

How does something like that happen? Wtf?