Is living with parents bad for confidence?

MVP

Don Juan
Reaction score
I live with my parents and in mid-20's...and my mom likes to nag about what I do and always tries to be involved in my life...like telling me to go study for my exam or stop watching tv or wake up or whatever. And I'm just wondering if this hurts my confidence?

I probably have enough money to move out, but I don't really know where. (I don't have enough money to live in those fancy apartments, the prices are insane for those). I don't really want to share a place with a stranger, and living in some older small apartment building just isn't very appealing when I get a nice comfy house to live in right now.

svarog

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never understand why people want to move out so soon. Renting apartment is economical suicide you are putting money into nothing! If on the other hand you save up to finance a house you can end up paying same amount a month and it will go into something!

Way I see it is you're saving lots of money and getting some home-cooking that sounds good to me. Don't see why it would hurt your confidence, if it does confidence wasn't really there.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
svarog said:
Way I see it is you're saving lots of money and getting some home-cooking that sounds good to me. Don't see why it would hurt your confidence, if it does confidence wasn't really there.
It feels pretty damn good coming home to your own place after a long day of work. Sitting down, drinking a beer and hanging out is fvcking sweet.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you in school? If you are not using your parents but truly trying to get your life in order then why would that hurt your confidence.

I'm in my mid 20s and with events in my life that took place in last 1.5 years I had to make a choice to move back to my parents house and go back to school. So I'm in a sh1tty position where I don't have a place of my own, but it saves me loans and I'm rarely home.

MVP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bourne said:
Are you in school? If you are not using your parents but truly trying to get your life in order then why would that hurt your confidence.
Because I feel like the fact that I'm getting nagged at means that I don't have control over my own life. (lack of independence) It's like I have to keep living up to their expectations.

Reaction score
Dude I've got a real crazy ass scenario to consider..

Ok..

So i'm about to graduate high school in a few weeks and I've been dying to move out and do my own thing, well about a month ago all that sh*t took a twist and turn like a roller coaster on crack...this ride is called life I think.

Well, I get a phone call at a party one saturday night with my mom crying talking about she needs me home now. I was pissed..well I come to find out that my little sister is pregnant. She's only 16 but now she ain't living at home no more and here in a few months she will be living the adult life..WHICH SOUNDS LIKE ITS GONNA SUCK ASS!!!

And then a few days later, my bro, out of nowhere with his drop out from high school and live in his own room off of PS2, Madden and Football Discussion boards for 3 years ass, decides that he is going to college in california...Now he's out and starts sometime next week.

All these decisions to grow up so quickly with my siblings in such a blink of an eye is almost like a slap in the face...

My two YOUNGER siblings..yes younger, decide they're gonna pack their sh*t and leave. And so it only leaves me and my parents and a house..

I'm definately gonna stay up in here while I can.

I can save money, not deal with annoying bros and sisters anymore, and now I can go out and bring some drunk slut into my room or other 2 vacant rooms as long as she's quiet and I can leave my TV turned on to white noise at maximum volume at 2 in the morning like I am doing now....

LIFE KICKS ASS!..SMOKE A LOT OF GRASS!

this message was sponsored and brought to you by Dime's Ass Emporium and Accessories.

Duffty

Don Juan
Reaction score
MVP said:
I live with my parents and in mid-20's...and my mom likes to nag about what I do and always tries to be involved in my life...like telling me to go study for my exam or stop watching tv or wake up or whatever. And I'm just wondering if this hurts my confidence?

I probably have enough money to move out, but I don't really know where. (I don't have enough money to live in those fancy apartments, the prices are insane for those). I don't really want to share a place with a stranger, and living in some older small apartment building just isn't very appealing when I get a nice comfy house to live in right now.
Moving out if you can afford it. I would move out if I make a bit more money to cover rent.

disfunktional

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can afford somewhere you will be relatively comfortable in, then do it. I have lived away from home for many years, although I have just moved back recently, temporarily. I get on cool with my Dad, he gives me no **** whatsoever, in fact he couldn't do more for me, but the confidence and independence you gain with having your own place is awesome. I really can't wait to have my own place again. I'm moving out next month by the way :)