Investing

DA KID

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I just finished high school up. Got some money for graduating and opened up my own bank of account with bank of america. Starting to like fix up my future. I was interested in investing but dont know where to start and what to get into. I think bank of america has like an investment account but I dont know how to open one. Anyone with any advice, investment tips

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take an into to finance class or personal finances class at your university. They teach you way more than you need to know.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bank of America's investment products are generally pretty bad.

Are you debt-free? Do you have an income or credit? You could use part of the money to get a secured credit card if you cannot get a regular credit card. With a secured account, you only get credit for the amount you have deposited. It's risk-free for the bank, which is why they are easy to get if credit card companies turn you down. Get credit, use it for stuff you would buy anyway, save the money, keep the balance for a month or two, then pay it all off and ask for a higher limit while you have a zero balance. If you have the discipline to repeat this process, within a few years you will have excellent credit, which can be used toward the purchase of your first piece of real estate.

DrMetallica

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
UFGH!!!!!! I HATE FINANCE!!!! Just needed to vent, these homework problems are driving me MAD!!!

It's not as bad as the calculus class I took last year but gawd how can anybody stand such shíte? Don't people appreciate the finer things in life, like green grasses, sloping hills, sunny blue skies, wine, music... why would anyone subject themselves to such shíte as this???!!!?

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How much is "some money"?

I'd start by getting a credit card - usually banks have a student program that offers a decent credit card. If not, you'll get something in the mail. Try to get a card with no annual or set up fees, even if the APR is a little high. Build up your credit by keeping a revolving balance of about 1/3 your limit and paying on time (so with a limit of $1000, keep a balance of around $300 and just pay the minimum or enough to keep it around $300). People will tell you that it's a good idea to pay off the entire balance every month, and while this is responcible, it's not going to build your credit as quickly. Credit card companies like to make money off of you, and if you pay off the balance every month they're making none or very little. They don't reward that with great credit ratings. Eventually (months/years) you'll start getting better offers, which you should sign up for and repeat the process while canceling your old credit cards.

If you don't have a job, get one. You can use the income to invest with, and you might pick up some other useful skills.