Increasing meal size

Mage Xtil

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a very skinny guy, only 120lbs, I looked online and I'm supposed to be eating about 2000 calories everyday. I know the only way I can gain weight and muscle is to eat more calories per day. However even when I eat my normal amount I become full. What I'm asking: is it possible to mentally be full? Like when someone makes hot dogs or burgers I only have one, all the time because I always feel full after the first one and maybe I feel this way because I have been eating like this forever. I don't want to overeat. I think the best way for me to increase my calories is to eat something about every 2.5 hrs. Any help would be appreciated.

Xtil

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you exercise at all?

I used to not eat very much because I never had a big appetite and when I started training a lot my metabolism sped up and now I'm constantly hungry.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just eat when you feel like it. I prefer to eat 4-6 small meals and day and I'm constantly snacking in between those meals. Eating small meals allow me to feel just fine,I don't feel stuffed nor does my stomach grumble from being empty,best yet my stomach stays flat and no bloating from over eating.

It's not about how much you eat but rather what you eat.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
It's not about how much you eat but rather what you eat.
Quantity is just as important as quality, especially for weight gain. No point eating perfect foods if you're eating like a bird. (of course, no need to eat 6k calories of junk either)

As for the original poster, light cardio (walking, swimming) will increase your appetite as well as weight training. As for the mental block, you must overcome this, consider your food fuel rather than sustenance, and remember your goal of weight gain. Once you've forcefed yourself a little while (add calories gradually so there is less forcing) your stomach will expand, and your body will be used to the increased food intake; you will become more hungry over time.

Make sure your meals are fairly equally sized, or taper down towards the end of the day. Pay attention to food frequency and timing. You should be eating 5-6 times a day even if not hungry. After a while you WILL get hungry at mealtimes.

2000kcal for someone wishing to gain weight is a little low, even at your weight. I'd work up to at least 500kcal more.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agent Zero said:
I went from 180 to 205 eating about 2500 calories a day so you don't necessarily have to eat an overwhelming amount. Protein shakes help.
protein shakes are calories.

Calories in > calories burned => weight gain
Calories in < calories burned => weight loss

Yes it's that simple.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
protein shakes are calories.

Calories in > calories burned => weight gain
Calories in < calories burned => weight loss

Yes it's that simple.
Yeah if you abstract anything that far it looks simple. It's not so simple if you take into account that "calories burned" is affected by "calories in." You're treating them as independent variables.

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
eat faster and you will get more food down before you get full.

example: when you're in a resturant have them bring your soup out with the rest of your food instead of ahead of time.