I want to change my wardrobe little by little.

c0nfus3d1ne

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a style that screams ME. I think it's time to change my wardrobe little by little so eventually I'll feel happy with the clothes in my closet.

I want to know some stores, retail or online, that's a bit more expensive than regular department store type ****. I don't want to spend $100 on a shirt, so don't link to any places that has crazy prices.

I like jeans, shorts, sneakers, casual shoes, t-shirts, and polo shirts. I also like a comfortable pair of khakis. I'm not into jewelry but I like a nice watch. Colognes are good, but don't know what's considered cheap. I need clothes that fit me good because I'm slim. I'm not into hip hop fashion.

I think that my shirt/tie department is alright. I used to have a job that required a shirt/tie. Eventually, I want to own two nice suits, but that's not important right now.

I'm willing to spend no more than $125 on shoes, $60 for a shirt, and $75 for pants. You see, this is a step up for me because I'm used to buying pants for like $25 or $30, etc etc etc.

Post pics of your style and where you shop, if possible.

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres an article as you log into sosuave that entitled 'get a woman to dress you'!:up:

I have nice cloths I don't wear because I feel more self conscious wearing them for some reason. It's like they don't fit in with 'casual look' me!

This is another example of how people find it hard to step out of their personal boundaries or away from their self image.

I know that when I wear the more trendier cloths - which will be soon - it'll be a sign of my inner self improvement.

MotownMack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's really not possible for anyone to give you specific fashion advice. It's going to depend on what works for you, and how it looks on you. But based what you asked, I have a few comments.

1) Dont ever buy clothes online. (see reason #2)

2) Try everything on. Make sure it fits you well. I used to buy clothes that as long as it technically fit me (i.e. covered my body), I was ok with it. Now, I try everything on, just because some clothes fit and sit differently on your body, and may not flatter you, even if the technically fit. If I put in on and think it just looks ok, it goes back, unless it was some ridiculously cheap sale item.

3) If money's a factor, Department stores like Kohls aren't too bad, you might just have to stay away from expensive brand names. Depends on where you live, some people looking for a bargin like stores like TJ Max. I can tell you that dressing well doesn't have to be super expensive. You actually could pay half of the prices you're willing to pay on clothes and still come out with decent stuff. Focus less on brand names and prices, and more on what looks good on you.

4) If you have no clue how to put an outfit together or don't know where to start, it's easy-go look online or buy a magazine like GQ that's heavily dedicated to men's fashions or accessories. Take a look at what's out there and see what you look. Also, look at other men-simple. If I see a guy that is wearing something that looks good, I notice.

5) Get some decent shoes, shop around a little. $125 is plenty, but I recommend getting numerous pairs over time.

6) Not that I don't like suits, I do. But I kind of think the traditional suit and tie, especially in the business environment, is falling to the wayside. Still, too many people have to wear them, and it's pretty hard to express yourself with this basic format. Blazers are still good, but I stay away from full suits anymore unless it's more or less required.

7) There's a thread on colognes on SS, but you just need to go to a department store to try some on. Make sure you really like it too, not just what everyone says the girls like. I would say you'll need to spend between $40-70 for a good one.

c0nfus3d1ne

Banned
Reaction score
MotownMack said:
It's really not possible for anyone to give you specific fashion advice. It's going to depend on what works for you, and how it looks on you. But based what you asked, I have a few comments.

1) Dont ever buy clothes online. (see reason #2)

2) Try everything on. Make sure it fits you well. I used to buy clothes that as long as it technically fit me (i.e. covered my body), I was ok with it. Now, I try everything on, just because some clothes fit and sit differently on your body, and may not flatter you, even if the technically fit. If I put in on and think it just looks ok, it goes back, unless it was some ridiculously cheap sale item.

3) If money's a factor, Department stores like Kohls aren't too bad, you might just have to stay away from expensive brand names. Depends on where you live, some people looking for a bargin like stores like TJ Max. I can tell you that dressing well doesn't have to be super expensive. You actually could pay half of the prices you're willing to pay on clothes and still come out with decent stuff. Focus less on brand names and prices, and more on what looks good on you.

4) If you have no clue how to put an outfit together or don't know where to start, it's easy-go look online or buy a magazine like GQ that's heavily dedicated to men's fashions or accessories. Take a look at what's out there and see what you look. Also, look at other men-simple. If I see a guy that is wearing something that looks good, I notice.

5) Get some decent shoes, shop around a little. $125 is plenty, but I recommend getting numerous pairs over time.

6) Not that I don't like suits, I do. But I kind of think the traditional suit and tie, especially in the business environment, is falling to the wayside. Still, too many people have to wear them, and it's pretty hard to express yourself with this basic format. Blazers are still good, but I stay away from full suits anymore unless it's more or less required.

7) There's a thread on colognes on SS, but you just need to go to a department store to try some on. Make sure you really like it too, not just what everyone says the girls like. I would say you'll need to spend between $40-70 for a good one.

I'm a huge offender of number 2. That's most of my wardrobe.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

MotownMack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres an article as you log into sosuave that entitled 'get a woman to dress you'
I saw this, and found it interesting because I have previously read two separate books that said DO NOT take a woman's opinion on fashion and clothes. I wish remembered what the reasoning behind it was, because I remember it sounding pretty convincing.

Unfortunately, many of them are likely to get way too specific about what they like. Case in point, I had a girl I was dating trying to tell me that I should have a faux-hawk and that she was absolutely in love with abercrombie and fitch. Now, it's ok to dress trendy at any age, but you don't want to try to hard and look like a tool. Anyway, I was at the bar last weekend talking to two girls, and low and behold, they were making fun a guy who had a faux-hawk. Also, I saw someone write in SS the other day that if you're over 26 and shopping at A&F, you're probably going to look like a jack ass. I tended to agree with that too.

Point is, be careful when taking peoples opinions.