I don't ever drink,will I regret it?

static

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, I never have drunk. I've been the serious type all my life ( I often get "your so serious"). I'm extremely health conscious and that's the reason why. I'm afraid that if I drink I'll age faster, and it will ruin my physique ( of course, moderate drinking shouldn't be much of a culprit in this regard). I'm the type that's cautions about everything.

I sense from others that this is an unattractive personality. In fact, I'm often times ashamed of it. I've been to a few parties and I just didn't fit in personality wise. I know it's in me to be a fun person with or without drinking, but I just haven't had in me to let it out.

The thing is drinking might not solve my social ineptivity,. In everyday casual situations where others are also sober, I tend to act more reserved, serious, overly cautions, afraid of little things, etc. much more than others.

This leads me to conclude that it's not that I need to start drinking, but I need to work on my personality and social skills.

Or maybe I should still drink so that I won't come off as an outsider? Perhaps it will help me land a job, get along with coworkers, keep friends, etc. in the near future. Often times when I tell others that I don't drink, they take it as if they're doing something wrong and thus I come off as unfriendly.

I'm afraid that I; ll think if I had drank socially, I would have had more friends, more girls, more fun, etc.

But I'm also still concerned that I'll regret the negatives (health, possible accelarated agting,etc.)

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear both sides? don't hesitate to be brutally honest. Whatever helps so that I won't look back and regret it.

By the way, I'm 22 and I have one a half years of college left.

Ixnys

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I'm not always in an environment where a lot of drinking is going on every week, so I hardly drink. I haven't had a beer or a shot in like 6 months. I can drink beer, but I think I'd prefer not to for health reasons. I don't want to be doing something that is harmful to my body. I don't want it to add on useless weight as well. Like since I don't CRAVE beer I don't need to have it. I'd rather have some water or a beverage like coke instead. To get a buzz from beer takes to many drinks anyways. I guess sometimes I'll have a corona or something if I'm out with friends and not driving or if I'm at a party.

However if I'm gonna get drunk, I'd prefer to take just some shots. It's a lot faster. No bull****. Since it takes a lot of beers to get me buzzed, I feel it's not worth it JUST to be drinking it for the taste.

So I only drink if I want to get buzzed or drunk and I try to reserve it for special occations. I don't drink too often because I know it's harmful. However I think it can be FUN AS HELL. So I think you'll enjoy having a few shots at parties just to get a little buzzed and loose some of your inhibitions and just loosen up. At least try it out. Go out with your buddies and get drunk. You'll be laughing and you will have a blast. However don't go overboard so you start puking. Just try it out to know what it feels like. I think if you just do it every now and then you'll be alright. Maybe just have a drink or two if you're out with some chicks.

E-Z Rider

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, there's nothing really wrong with drinking- IF you do it in reasonable moderation AND you don't look at it as a cure to your problems.

Beer has a lot of calories, but it's not outrageous. I'd tell you to drink liquor instead, but since you've never drank before I say drink beer b/c you'll go at a slower pace. Do that until you find out what your limits are, how your body reacts.

It's pretty fun and you can have a really good time drunk (I myself have never had a 'bad' time drunk, though some people do get depressed). But it won't change your personality- even when you're good and sloppy, you'll still pretty much have similar reservations.

What you really want is more social confidence and skill, and that just takes going out on limbs and talking to people. Alcohol won't make much of a difference overall.

Hope this helps- -E-Z

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I came to college, I had never drunk before. Well...I still don't drink...That much. Even when I do drink (not at all often), it'll be very light (see: one sky blue or a few Triple Blacks.) My friends know that I won't drink unless it's under my own terms. They don't like me any less because of that. I didn't start because I wanted to "fit in." I only started because I wanted to see what it tasted like. Beer to me tastes like shit. I say, do what you want. If you want to try a beer, bottle, whatever, try it. If not, don't.

Besides...You can always be the DD and screw with the drunks minds by dropping them off at the wrong place on purpose. :D

GaryNas

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasn't a drinker until I turned 20 or so (19 is legal in Canada). E-Z Rider is right about having a good time drunk.

I would try it at least once. Go to a pub and grab a few pitchers with your buddies. Once you start buzzing you'll find yourself WAY more relaxed and ready to have a great time.

On a cautionary note, learn your limits. The scariest night I ever had is when I was downtown, had WAY too much to drunk and don't remember ANYTHING. All I know is that I woke up the next morning on my couch with a bucket next to my head and some chicks number in my phone. If it weren't for a good friend of mine getting me home I probably would have ended up in an alley somewhere.

Try it! :D

Blue Vaser

Reaction score
Before I did my first bungee jump, I told my mother that I'd rather die after the short, exciting life, than end up old, bored and lonely.

You have two choices. Either you will live 100 years in a gray twilight, living a boring life, without passion or excitement, or die at the age of 70, or younger, feeling that you have done some great things, you've taken advantage of opportunities and you had a great, great, life.

That is your decision.

deeloo

Don Juan
Reaction score
im 16 and ive been drinkin for 2 years now.. at where i live the underage law is nearly not enforced at all..

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a total party animal. It has been the cause of many problems with girls. I cant help it, its in my blood. My older brother is like it, my mum is like it, even my grandad is like it. My cousins are too. Just seems to be that we love to drink and party. And might I also add, it hasnt seemed to make me age at all or affected my sports. Plus all my family look younger than their age.

Half of the ELITE sports players love to drink and party too. There is nothing wrong with it. If you are happy not drinking I say keep to it, why change, but if you arent, maybe you should try it sometime.

Chemistry

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think drinkin is overrated...

Don't get me wrong I knock back drinks with the best of them, but on the other hand I have been out so many times and simply stayed on somethin like J20 or some kinda juice / water... some people are reliant on alcohol to remove inhibitions whereas I weighed it up in my mind, why I wouldn't initially do some things when I was sober that I would do drunk... some were THAT foolish thus it's better if they don't ever happen, and some I was too inhibited abou doing, but figured what are inhibitions and that I could talk, dance and be the DJ much more if I was sober...

Thus, I'll drink but only since we do rounds and it's a laugh and I'm a student, so £1 for a bottle of 'insert alcoholic beverage here'... but I would never be reliant on it to have a good time...

In the scenario you presented you just need to relax... most the things you will spend time thinkin on are inconsequential matters... girls spend their lives thinkin of inconsequential matters and analysin them, and you are not a woman... people don't care if you don't drink, they won't look on you as being any less UNLESS you are that boring and unsociable a person... if you've gotten it into your head that you are an outsider then it's an aura of negativity around you, nobody wants to be around that, whereas if you get it into your head that you're the DJ that you have a lot to offer the occasion and do offer it then people will take notice of you and warm to you...

Now unless you pull some drastic actions, then drinking may be the only way at the minute to get rid of those inhibitions you have... but work on it over the long term, the world is an exciting place and you want to know what's there, you want to know other peoples experience and you want to share with them your own...

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
I dont' drink that often, but when I did, I used to get damn hammered. After a point, it just makes you sloppy. Also a great way to deplete your wallet.

But I can't say that I don't enjoy being SOMEWHAT intoxicated, it's a great feeling. The only thing I would like to do is be able to act out the way I do when I drink without drinking, so I can control it.

I've cut back so I drink less when I go out "partying." I've found doing something along the lines of alternating between alcoholic drinks and water keeps me hydrated and sort of "levels out" the buzz so it doesn't hit like a ton of bricks.

Are you MISSING anything, per se...no, not really. You might feel a little uncomfortable in the bar scene, but if you want you could always just order some juice or something. No one's gonna ask what you're drinking, and if they do, just tell them. Don't be all high-and-mighty about not drinking, but be proud of your choice.

People will respect that. And if they don't, then they probably feel guilty about it themselves and want as many people as possible to do it with them.

Of course, drinking is always more fun with friends. :)

Kineti[C]harm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CLOONEY
I am a total party animal. It has been the cause of many problems with girls. I cant help it, its in my blood. My older brother is like it, my mum is like it, even my grandad is like it. My cousins are too. Just seems to be that we love to drink and party. And might I also add, it hasnt seemed to make me age at all or affected my sports. Plus all my family look younger than their age.

Half of the ELITE sports players love to drink and party too. There is nothing wrong with it. If you are happy not drinking I say keep to it, why change, but if you arent, maybe you should try it sometime.
Hahah ye that's just like me too. Some major girlfvckups have happened but who cares, I'm HAVING FUN AND LIVING LIFE! only thing that matters.

Kidquick

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a 'training period' that comes along with drinking - most likely you will make a fool of yourself the first few times, until you learn to control your buzz and your actions, however drinking is a skill that any dj worth a squat should familiarize himself with - so start liftin' that glass! :D

Reaction score
Often the next day after some serious drinking I'm prone to "get the runs" I nearly sh!t my pants with sloppy diarrhea the next day. Don't drink heavily if you got stuff to do the next day.

InLawsHateMe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr.Hash wid da Stash
Often the next day after some serious drinking I'm prone to "get the runs" I nearly sh!t my pants with sloppy diarrhea the next day. Don't drink heavily if you got stuff to do the next day.
Hash can tell ya.. ;) ... he licked some co-workers face after a couple of drinks... LOL!

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love to drink.

Go out, hit the bar scene with your buddies - drink, relax, have fun - perhaps get up to some crazy sh#t. Hook up with girls.... awesome.

I think this is to do more with your while personality. Drinking is just something thats easy to see - but I'd bet throughout your whole life - it's a similar story.

There are negative health aspects to drinking - but there are also positive ones as well. Go research this.

There's nothing wrong with going out and having a few light beers - most are low in carbs - and calories. Hell there's less calories in a light 12 oz. beer than there is in a soda.

I also don't want the extra calories that comes with drinking - I don't want a beer belly - Thats why I don't drink every night of the week. I allocate Friday night as my time to relax my diet and drink - eat whatever I want.

I think your problem lies a little deeper than just not wanting the negative health aspects of drinking.

Perhaps it's time to remove your shackels?

FreeStyleZ

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drinking is fun, yes you are missing out. I had never drank until i got to college too and now that i do start drinking its fun. It's not a problem for me though becuase i really cant stand the taste and the only time i will drink is to feel a buzz. I cant stand beer and only do shots with chasers before/after. I dont see how someone can get addicted to beer, its disguisting, as well is alcohol. Fun though to get the buzz. Try it, you'll have fun.

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
static,

I was like you a year ago. I used to be really uptight and also looked serious. Then, I started drinking at 21 and it's brought out a different side of my personality. I am more of a jokester now and, generally, I'm more happy about life. The cool thing is that I now have this personality sober too...it just took some drunken times to bring it out. I think it helped me tremendously to start drinking and now I don't drink as much and it's just as cool. But, if you never drink, you might miss out on another side of your personality.

playasupreme

Banned
Reaction score
The bad side of drinking far outweighs the good. You should develop your personality by reading books and interacting with as many interesting people as possible. If you aren't a drinker due to fear such as a relative who is an alcoholic or over-religious parents then you should address this separately. I have done a great deal of partying, and have toned it down to smoking pot a couple of times a year. I also have a weakness for expensive champagn with about the same frequency. Although certain behavior is brought out-- it's not really you. I've watched people who drank and did cocaine act tough, get in fights, and hit on every girl in the joint. Then wake up and be the same shy nerd they were when they woke up the day before. This jekyll & hyde thing will only create a crutch-- you will need to drink etc. in order to be "cool" or whatever. Peer pressure is a powerful thing-- people don't like people who don't drink because this threatens them. Their insecurities tell them that you think you are better than they are. This has a lot to do with the awkward feelings you have. The key is not to succumb to this group-think but to become less self-absorbed and more into other people. I knew a very charismatic guy who threw parties at clubs and his house with the freakiest people in the world. Everyone loved him and his parties yet he barely drank more than a sip or two an hour. He dumped more than he drank. He had been down the road of excess before and found it is not "all that". I myself have discovered the same thing. I reccommend gravitating toward a more positive crowd where your not drinking is less of an issue. Women who drink infrequently or not at all make better catches in the long run anyway.