I can't BELIEVE I gained weight. I thought it was impossible for me.

N

nattaplaya

I used to weigh between 120 and 125 pounds. I'm 5'9 1/2 so that's very skinny. I thought for sure that I ate a lot but then realized I wasn't. So, about 3 weeks ago, I decided enough is enough. I want to feel good about my body and I put the goal of 165lbs in my head.

I started eating a big breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and another snack. I didn't care about fat because I just want to reach my goal and then I will sculpt my body. With the change in my diet, I gained 25lbs in the past 3 weeks. I weigh 145lbs now and feel so much better about myself. I know that's a lot of weight in a short period of time, but that's how much I gained.

Now I think my body has slowed down and I will not gain anymore unless I eat EVEN more! But the problem is I can't afford all this food. I go through a gallon of whole milk in two days (I had to cut back on the milk intake because it was getting too expensive) and I'm running out of snacks to eat. I'm okay for breakfast and dinner, but I need to work on eating lunch and snacks.

What are some foods that will add on the pounds without breaking the bank? I don't care about eating the same food everyday, but I want to set up a routine of eating every 3 hours while I'm awake.

Please help, I'm 20lbs from my goal!!

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ground beef is probably the best in bulk for pure protein and calories.

Get it on sale or at walmart. It can be found for like $1.80-2.30/lb and it should give you more calories than a gallon of milk a day. And you won't get as fat as with all the carbs in milk.

brewbaron

Don Juan
Reaction score
25 lbs in 3 weeks is a lot, very quickly. chances are its all fat. from someone who just ate whatever to gain weight, and I didn't gain anywhere as quickly as you, its not worth it just adding fat. do it properly, lift heavy, eat healthy and keep your fat minimal. you may not care about adding fat right now but once you have those fat cells on your body you never lose them, they only get smaller. that means it becomes much more difficult to a) reduce your fat% and b) to keep from gaining that fat back.

KidwithSocks

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice work on the gaining weight part! But wouldn't you rather have muscle instead of fat :(??! Your gonna regret the fat in the long run, it's annoying trying to burn it off in the future!

I suggest work slow, pack up the muscles instead! Don't eat junk food, good luck man.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
25lbs in 3 weeks is nowhere near all muscle and nowhere near all fat. It is some muscle, some fat but MOSTLY water from the increased food (carb) intake and the milk.

That said, if you are new to training and eating properly, you will experience some sudden growth 'spurts' in short spaces of time, like 5lbs in a week whereas you'd had no weight gain at all in the previous month. Muscle gains aren't linear (but fat gains are!).

Congrats on your progress, keep it up. :)

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuna (no salt added) mixed with Eggs has been holding me down for awhile now !! plus its cheap...

dude eating right and getting big will not be easy on the wallet...Im 170, but I easily spend over 100 bucks a week on food.

As for milk I drink the Lactaid fat free brand, its like like 3.69 a carton or less, just shop around.

Most of your protein sources should hover around the 3 dollar mark.

N

nattaplaya

That tuna and eggs thing sounds good. Gotta try that. And I just weighed myself today and I'm 154lbs. WTF? I'm not just eating junk food. Unless waffles or pancakes is considered junk. I sometimes eat two bowls of cereal, bagel, and orange juice. Lunch and dinner consists of chicken, beef, rice, pasta, breads, stuff like that. The snack foods is junk; cakes or peanut butter and Ritz crackers at night.

Anyway, I noticed my legs (especially thighs) is where I gained the most weight), but I don't have a belly. My arms are a lot thicker.

I really know nothing about exercising, so if you guys are saying I should really be careful about fat because it's hard to lose, I should take your advice. The exercises I do are sit-ups, push ups, pull ups, and squats (just using my body weight).

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
25lbs in 3 weeks is nowhere near all muscle and nowhere near all fat. It is some muscle, some fat but MOSTLY water from the increased food (carb) intake and the milk.

That said, if you are new to training and eating properly, you will experience some sudden growth 'spurts' in short spaces of time, like 5lbs in a week whereas you'd had no weight gain at all in the previous month. Muscle gains aren't linear (but fat gains are!).

Congrats on your progress, keep it up. :)
why do carbs make you retain water? and where does the water go (in the carb in stomach, muscle cells, PEE SACK)?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
every gram of carbohydrates holds 4 grams of water in the body. it's stored in muscle cells (hence you look 'full' when eating carbs and 'flat' without them - well not always but usually) and then in blood vessels and other 'spaces' in the body.