I always get massive, beating headaches on the back on my head whenever I do cardio.

MayHeM ThEoRy

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's so weird because it only happens when I do cardio. I drink lots of water and have no health problems as far as I know. 17 Male and pretty healthy, dont even get sick that much lol.

Its hard to explain but just like a beating headache on the back and sides of my head, not the top. Any ideas?

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to get that from lifting when I wasn't breatheing correctly. Learn how to breathe properly, and don't hold your breathe when doing a rep, or in your case a stride.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got those once, while doing squats. It happens when your brain is deprived of oxygen, because the blood is out in your arms/legs. That or you have a bruised blood vessel in the back of your neck/head.

I'd suggest taking a week off and staying sedentary to let whatever it is heal somewhat. Then get back into whatever it is you do slowly, and take 5-10 minutes to warm up if you're doing high intensity exercise.

I know the feeling of those head throbs, and it isn't fun at all. Just take it easy and warm up correctly and it'll disappear by this time next week.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
I used to get that from lifting when I wasn't breatheing correctly. Learn how to breathe properly, and don't hold your breathe when doing a rep, or in your case a stride.
You must hold your breath on the big 3 and others though

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf you should never truly hold your breath. Sure there's a technique to control breathing(leaving air passages open) while doing heavy compounds, but holding your breath is a bad call and is just asking for trouble.

kabatura

Don Juan
Reaction score
If that doesn't help it may be sinuses. Earlier in the summer I got those and my nose wasn't running or anything but when I would go on bike rides my head would hurt, taking a benedryl fixed it.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
wolf you should never truly hold your breath. Sure there's a technique to control breathing(leaving air passages open) while doing heavy compounds, but holding your breath is a bad call and is just asking for trouble.
The pro powerlifters I train with always hold their breath. You can do internal damage if you don't hold the pressure in.

pluss
Iron Addict said:
ANYTIME I pass my threashold of volume/intensity my body will tolerate in one session I get a headache. For legs its about 12 hard sets, upper body 20 hard sets. I can also create the headache with 2-4 ALL OUT sets of squats/deads. Pretty common really.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11060
20 rep squats do it for me

Last edited:

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its hard to explain but just like a beating headache on the back and sides of my head, not the top. Any ideas?
I won't pretend to know whats the cause of your headaches. I have gotten headaches before in the past. Breathing technique is something that occurs naturally, if your not breathing right it will feel uncomfortable, so I'll assume you have common sense enough to know what feels right and what doesn't (as far as holding your breath).

Your gonna get all kinds of aches and pains from weight lifting. Sometimes your not gonna have the answers to some of these pains so its up to you to decide how serious they are and whether or not you wanna ignore it or seek medical attention.