How would you cope with a negative job?

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I have a role I'm proud of but I don't actually like my work or its environment. The company lacks leadership, there is constantly issues and if I fail at my job the company fails completely so its high pressure and the pressure is made worse by the fact the company is run poorly. There's many other small things on a day to day basis that piss me off and tbh I'm just doing the job until I have enough experience under my belt to look for a good job somewhere else. So that's the backstory. I wondered what have you guys done to help your well-being day to day when in a negative job?

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
To me, all jobs have issues. What separates one job from another for me, is if it's my passion or not as well as if the amount of pay I'm getting is enough to do everything I need to do (pay for my living expenses and fund my savings/investments accounts).

In the past, I have always dealt with jobs that I wasn't passionate about and that didn't pay hardly nothing, as just a temporary "thing" I was doing until I eventually could do whatever I actually wanted to do.

But be grateful for having a job number one, and if you ever get to do a job that you are passionate about AND that pays enough to cover your expenses and fund your savings+retirement, be extremely grateful as most people will never be able to say that.

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
go where you get top pay and lots of overtime pay, regardless of what the work is, In a very few years of BANKING , say, 60k per year, you can RETIRE and all of that work bs will be something that doesn't concern you at all. learn to live on 10-15k per year. You can have much more fun after you're retired. It only takes 200k to retire in the US, if you know what to do with it.

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
You can bank 60k per year, driving a truck OTR, if your co driver is your (3rd world) wife. She'll be happy (for a few years) at clearing 10k per year, plus her expenses and you can each clear 50k per year, if you live in that truck and keep it moving/loaded. you have to sort of 'donate" your first year, working for JB Hunt (to repay them for having paid for your 5k of training). You'll only bank 20k or so during that year (of 80 hour weeks) but that's enough to go get her. and get your older, used truck. :)

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
4 years and retired, instead of 4 years of college, 50k of debt and still no job. :)

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great idea...easy right?? LOL

There are very few good-paying jobs left.
Australia is the place to be for high wages, if your interested. The employment market is much more favourable to workers over here. It's almost like you imagined it would be growing up.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I have a role I'm proud of but I don't actually like my work or its environment. The company lacks leadership, there is constantly issues and if I fail at my job the company fails completely so its high pressure and the pressure is made worse by the fact the company is run poorly. There's many other small things on a day to day basis that piss me off and tbh I'm just doing the job until I have enough experience under my belt to look for a good job somewhere else. So that's the backstory. I wondered what have you guys done to help your well-being day to day when in a negative job?
I highly doubt this. It seems to me you've created an imaginary audience where you think the world revolves around you. It doesn't, best make peace with that.

Sounds like you've already made a decision there....do the job until you find something else. Only you can decide if a job is worth it or not, but I highly doubt it's 'negative' to anyone but you.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I highly doubt this. It seems to me you've created an imaginary audience where you think the world revolves around you. It doesn't, best make peace with that.

Sounds like you've already made a decision there....do the job until you find something else. Only you can decide if a job is worth it or not, but I highly doubt it's 'negative' to anyone but you.
Well I'm in charge of the companies production so yeah if I fail the company will fail. If you doubt that, I would assume that it's because you don't trust in my opinion of the job as you have no other point of reference. You seem to assume that I just don't know what I'm talking about in regards to my job role and I'm not sure why. It's negative in the sense that it makes me feel negative emotionally; so yes no one else will find it negative as I am the only one who feels those emotions as I am the only one doing the job.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in the same exact position, until I got a new offer last week. I was young, was building my department and head of it at 27. Came to realize management (owners of the company) was really bad and lost me many pieces of businesses (other owners would say how bad my office is managed, particularly my manager one of the 6 owners). No training, ego issues, pricing issues, owner battles/politics, no sense of sales, etc. Also, as the head of sales if i failed at my job, company did as well. I voiced my concerns and even got into arguments with the owner telling him things needed to change (almost got fired as we had a shouting match). In the end, he was not going to change, so I just focused on learning as much as i could, getting as good as i could get at my job so that i could intelligently and properly speak to it when i would interview.

After a horrible 11 months, much stress, wanting to quit on the spot, making little money, I got an offer for 30% salary increase and total compensation package of bonus/commission of 300% of what I was making.

Just focus on learning as much as you can about your industry, how to do your job properly and well, what went wrong with your current job and how you changed it and made it work (i would literally not tell management about new business and not follow their methods until it was ready to be signed. I would then make up some BS but believable excuse as to why so as to not get fired in order to close new business. I framed the entire situation as how I learned from failure and turned it into success and just left out the bad parts). It helped that i moved from NYC to Delaware, where my city experience was highly valued.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good advice @AAAgent , you're definitely right about using the experience as a learning curve.

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
I always just quit such jobs. for every "turn around" theres a dozen "just got worse and I quit anyway./got fired, etc). the odds are bad, so why put up with the bs?

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always just quit such jobs. for every "turn around" theres a dozen "just got worse and I quit anyway./got fired, etc). the odds are bad, so why put up with the bs?
Quit this morning mate. Feeling good

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
yes, it does, IF you've got savings and prospects for other income. Why I say you gotta save 25% of your gross or you're messing up. you get TRAPPED in bs if you don't save that much

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
it's not that tough, guys, at least, not in many parts of US. Many big old houses can be had for 80k, sometimes for much less, on tax sales. the employment guy at VA hospital, VFW, DAV, etc, will put you in touch with MANY unemployed vets who have not yet used their once in a lifetime VA home loan guarantee. They must have a job before they can qualifty for such a loan. So YOU hire them, as your "gofer", in return for them becoming the building manager of your big old building, which you rent out as weekly rooms.

Google for VA home mortgage guarantees, college loans, FAFSA, Pell grants and your local jr college. You can get enough money to get started. I HIGHLY recommend that you use your school loan to go to the Phills and marry a dentist there. She can and will pay you a clear 30k per year for 3 years here, working as a dental hygienist. With that income and the rest of your school loans, you can quickly have several such major income producing properties. There's many books at your local library about all you need to know about this. Subcontractors and home inspectors to assure you of the building's value/risks, real estate oriented atty's and insurance people, , guy's who'll teach you about tax sales, room rentals. google for Oxford house, and check out what those guys pay for a room (and one meal a day). $125 a week. that's what. nothing says that your tenants have to be in recovery from dope/booze, but you still make them sign a "sober living' contract, so that you can evict them at will. they pay week by week, so you can keep a full building.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can buy a fixer upper in Mexico for 10k and live 6 months out of the year there for less than a thousand dollars while you fix'er up.

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust that place or those people with a jar of my pizz.

dillj

Banned
Reaction score
not at all. travel is one thing, trust is another, Plenty of other countries don't have Mexico's problems/ "culture" (or lack thereof, actually

B

BlueAlpha1

To me, all jobs have issues. What separates one job from another for me, is if it's my passion or not as well as if the amount of pay I'm getting is enough to do everything I need to do (pay for my living expenses and fund my savings/investments accounts).

In the past, I have always dealt with jobs that I wasn't passionate about and that didn't pay hardly nothing, as just a temporary "thing" I was doing until I eventually could do whatever I actually wanted to do.

But be grateful for having a job number one, and if you ever get to do a job that you are passionate about AND that pays enough to cover your expenses and fund your savings+retirement, be extremely grateful as most people will never be able to say that.
Terrible advice. This "grateful to have a job" nonsense should have died out in 1970 when the job market changed forever. This is what lifelong conditioning does folks - that young people are STILL pedaling this 9-5/real job/retirement garbage against all of the horror stories.

OP, I've written two books on why you need to make money OUTSIDE the corporate world. I'll send them to you for free if you want to read them.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Terrible advice. This "grateful to have a job" nonsense should have died out in 1970 when the job market changed forever. This is what lifelong conditioning does folks - that young people are STILL pedaling this 9-5/real job/retirement garbage against all of the horror stories.

OP, I've written two books on why you need to make money OUTSIDE the corporate world. I'll send them to you for free if you want to read them.
That would be great. Thanks