How to stop slouching?

suaveplayer

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys, i really want to stop slouching but it has become such a habit that its really hard to stop. any ideas or tips or past experiences?

BAM001

Don Juan
Reaction score
just keep checking yourself basically. every few minutes or so if you have to, and if youre slouching correct it. i know sometimes its easy to forget stuff like that when you get busy, but just try and keep it in the back of your mind so anytime you feel yourself slouching you can fix it.

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Slouching is so easy to do. You have to take steps to combat it. I try pulling up my chair. It usually works.

Do you slouch when you stand up? Maybe that might exacerbate the problem.

flexo

Reaction score
I used to have a big slouching problem. A year of lifting seems to have made it much better. Some relatives (who always complained about it) noticed it was much improved.

I've been focusing on balance and a full body workout. I am definitely stronger in daily activities, and that must have translated into good posture.

People seem to think I'm 5-10 years older, too.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Stretch what you strengthen, strengthen what you stretch.

e.g. If you are slouching forward because of benching - remember to do pec stretches so it doesn’t end up tight. After that, do some rows to strengthen the back to balance the muscle distribution.

Like the other guys have suggested here. Knowing the proper posture will help you correct your form both consciously and subconsciously.

Hopefully this helps.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear SuavePlayer,
You are smart to recognise your problem I only became aware that I slouched when I took up Dancing.....I found the best thing is to be aware that you have a problem,little stick on discs about three eighths of an inch diameter,will help,stick them at key points at home at work,your car,this will encourage you to straighten up.....Stand in doorways heels to the bottom of the side frame,bum,hips and back of head all touching as well flatten yourself and hold for a number of times increasing time every few days....I found chin ups and pull downs were very helpful too.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a chair actually designed for the human body. I have two of the same chair at home and at work. It more or less forces you to not slouch. Your lower back is in correct position and your hips are more open, helping to prevent and correct the common malady of anterior pelvic tilt and tight hip flexors from sitting all day with your hips at 90 degree angles. Since your lower back is in the correct position, everything above pretty much falls into place, meaning your shoulders and head.

The type of chair i'm talking about is a kneeling chair. It will take a little bit to get used to. Maybe a week. Stick it out and you'll prefer it. My lower back hurts when i go and sit in meetings in normal chairs. I'd stand the whole meeting if it didn't make me look stupid.

You should never actually need back support when sitting. Do you have any friends with perfect posture? I have a few but one i'm thinking about specifically was a dancer for 15 years. If we go sit in a booth at a restaurant she'll sit up perfectly straight and her back and will never touch the back of the chair. She completely does it without thinking. I tease her about it but really I'm jealous. The rest of us have to TRY to sit straight due to the deconditioning of our backs and abs as we were forced into desks at the age of 5 in kindergarten and never allowed to move.

Love,

the ever affectionate mrRuckus

Unbridled_Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if enhancing abs and core muscles helps with posture?