How to get a total body workout at home, for less than $200

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wanna know how to do this?

Kettlebells. None of that 1200$ machine crap. I mean something the U.S. Marines and SWAT team train with. Wanna get started on kettlebells cheaply? Go to www.dragondoor.com/kettlebells for all the info you need. Buy "The Russian Kettlebell Challenge" and "More Russian Kettlebell Challenges" by Pavel Tsatsouline. If you want, also buy "From Russia with Tough Love" by Pavel and "Cruel and Unusual Kettlebell Exercises" by Steve Maxwell. Go to www.mymaxtrainer.com (cheaper than dragondoor for KBs) and buy a 35 pound kettlebell for $70, or if you're stronger pick up the 50 pounder for $100 and the 65 pounder for $130. Wait for the deliveries, and enjoy the pain!

BTW, I am not affiliated with either site. I know I posted on it before but this is just how to get started. If you don't have the cash for the k-bells, pick up RKC and do its workouts with dumbbells. Each book is about $35, and comes with a teaching video. Dumbbells work, but kettlebells are a better complete workout and are just plain more fun.

If you want info and testimonies from people who already use kettlebells, go to dragondoor's discussion forum or to http://www.dragondoor.com/p10_praise.html (you can find all these guys on the DD message board). Also check out the articles from various pros who use kettlebells on http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl

You can be slim and ripped like Pavel, or you can build big muscle like this guy. (BTW, that's a 144 pound kettlebell - the biggest in existance - that he's cleaning)

When you get to dragondoor look up Mike Burgener's articles and posts. He's my weightlifting coach, and can attest to what dragondoor and I are saying himself.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
neither of those guys look like they've ever trained in their life. Really, the kettleball workouts are just pissing in the wind.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Soshyopathe
neither of those guys look like they've ever trained in their life. Really, the kettleball workouts are just pissing in the wind.
I wish I could get the muscle that either of those guys have by never training in my life :p

Kettlebell workouts are hardcore. You have to do it to believe it - I didn't believe til I DID. Even swings are ass kickers, and I was already well conditioned before trying them.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Um, why do you keep calling me sugar?:eek:

Anyone who can fart the alphabet is hardcore in my book.

Fred Da Head

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can't you just stop advertising that BS? It's getting extremely annoying to see "Oh you don't need to do that, use kettlebells!" in every post, and now this!

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I only posted about them in ONE OTHER THREAD, kid.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't get it. What can you do with those that you can't do with a dumbell? It's a ball with a handle. Big deal. They don't even roll as well as dumbells, cause they got a big handle on them.

Look, you can get a workout lifting your coffee table, bench pressing the microwave, or deadlifting your dog. There's no miracle to these "kettlebells".

From what I see they have limited use. How do you bench press when a big ball is hanging under the handle? What if 35 is too light, but 50 is too heavy?

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-----I don't get it. What can you do with those that you can't do with a dumbell? It's a ball with a handle. Big deal. They don't even roll as well as dumbells, cause they got a big handle on them.-----

You can do the same workouts with dumbbells, which I even mentioned in my post, but the awkwardness of the kettlebells makes them different.

-----Look, you can get a workout lifting your coffee table, bench pressing the microwave, or deadlifting your dog. There's no miracle to these "kettlebells".-----

They're certainly, however, a better workout than 90% of what's out there today.

-----From what I see they have limited use. How do you bench press when a big ball is hanging under the handle? What if 35 is too light, but 50 is too heavy?-----

Kettlebells aren't for bench press, kid. If you want a chest workout try pushups or renegade rows or just substitute barbells or dumbbells in when you want to.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can do the same workouts with dumbbells, which I even mentioned in my post, but the awkwardness of the kettlebells makes them different.
So why not just buy dumbells? I don't think "awkward" and "good" are synonymous.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by livin large
So why not just buy dumbells? I don't think "awkward" and "good" are synonymous.
I never said you couldn't buy dumbbells and substitute them in. But the awkwardness of the kettlebell's weight distributions adds a different dimention to the workout - especially the balance part - so, in my experience, awkward is definitely good. KBs are also just plain more fun to use IMO, but diff strokes for diff folks. KB Snatches also can't really be done with dumbbells.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know, you're Russian and you're caught up in your Russian tradition and gimmicks, and you like it. But honestly, every kettleball excersize can be done with dumbells, and you don't need to make it akward to make it harder, just increase your dumbell weight.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't a bit of Russian blood in me. Of course you can increase your dumbbell weight, but for the really advanced crowd it's hard to beat a 144 pound kettlebell :-D How heavy do they make dumbbells anywho?

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn how to spell. Girevik is Russian, but that doesn't make ME Russian anymore than using Osama in my AIM name makes me Arab. I am PART Armenian though, about 25%.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, I'm from the part of Armenia that now is part of Turkey, far as I know.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My answer to last few posts:
WHO CARES??? :mad:

xanderbaz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, a buddy of mine that happens to be Russian used to babble about kettlebells all the time. His balls are dragging along the floor now. :D
Wasn't there a civil war in Armenia, precedent to succession?
Cheers.