how many people use facebook?

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not looking to make friends on it from here unless you'd like to but I'm just curious. And what kind of stuff do show on your profile that makes it special?

stupid i know, but I just got back from drinking and i'm bored..

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
i just send messages to people I already know... I did meet one girl w/a bf off of facebook and became friends with her. I saw her on campus and was like... hey you are on facebook and we clicked.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
btw and fwiw, facebook is not private. I have read about employers searching for your facebook page before hiring you. If there are a bunch of pictures of you sh!tfaced drunk and smoking pot, they don't offer the job.

Stud

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
btw and fwiw, facebook is not private. I have read about employers searching for your facebook page before hiring you. If there are a bunch of pictures of you sh!tfaced drunk and smoking pot, they don't offer the job.

you can set your page to private, so only the people you allow to see your page can see it, just like how myspace is now.

Silverback82

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
how can they do this when you have to attend their university to see their profile, if you are from a different university you have to friend them

I think this applies more to myspace and if employers new what their employees did in their free time most people would be unemployed;)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.kansan.com/stories/2006/jan/30/facebook/

http://www.vainformer.com/new_ipb/index.php?showtopic=177

The University of Missouri-Columbia has instituted a “task-force” to “discipline students for profiles containing evidence of misconduct or illegal activity.”

A Duquesne University student may be expelled from school for making homophobic remarks on Facebook in response to a gay-straight alliance group on campus.

After Penn State beat Ohio State University this pass October, police found all the evidence they needed to indict several students in a Facebook group entitled “I Rushed the Field After the OSU Game (And Lived!).” The police, not the administration, initiated this investigation after they received an anonymous tip.

Similarly, students at George Washington University managed to lure local police to a non-alcoholic house party by advertising with a Facebook group called “Beer party!” in order to prove—and photograph—that police were in fact using Facebook to check student behavior.

Chris Hughes, a Facebook co-founder, told the Informer that there was nothing Facebook could do to stem the tide of nosy administrators.

“It’s certainly not what we designed Facebook to be used for,” said Hughes in an email last week, “but there’s not much we can do about it.” Hughes points out that “if users do not want faculty or staff to see their profile information, all they have to do is go to the ‘My Privacy’ section and change their settings. They can make it so that only students can see the info or even so that only friends can.”

Perhaps more frightening to students, however, is the revelation that the ramifications of one’s Facebook profile might extend far beyond college. The Wall Street Journal reported on January 12th that companies have been using Facebook, other social networks and Google, to screen applicants. Hughes said he heard that “recruiters with online email addresses log in to look up job candidates who attended the same school.” This is not approved, nor strictly legal.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=facebook&btnG=Search+News

Silverback82

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
then 90% of people on facebook are screwed because that is about the amount that have drunken pics in their profile

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can one of you guys send me an invite? Does this work like the gmail invite system or what?

IsiMan84

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You used to have to be invited by a college student to use the high school one. But now I see people who graduated from high school like 2-3 years ago and didn't go to college using high school accounts and declaring themselves alumni.

Kourt

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
At one point I made a few groups, and had noticed a hot girl had joined one of em, so I started talkin to her and we ended up sleeping together, didn't last too long, but it was fun though :-D