How many days a week do you need to lift?

Agent Zero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to lift 4 or even 5x per week, but now it has been down to 3x per week cause I have been busy. Plus I have been feeling lazy so I might only go twice this week. I feel like 3x is okay, but is 2x really lazy? Will I start to deteriorate?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2x will work but only if you're putting in as much effort as 3x. so i don't see how that's going to help with your laziness. need to attack the root cause of your laziness.

you need a program designed for 2x a week, not a 5x program that you only bother to put in 2 days of.

Azmodan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I only lift twice a week due to time constraints. Monday I do a bench day consisting of bench, push press, close grip/dips, and horizontal pulls. Thursday I alternate a dead day (deads, shrugs, cleans, vertical pulls) and a squat day (squats, front squats, stiff-leg deads, more vertical pulls).

Its been working for me. I used to do a three day split but this gives my body a little more time to recover and do some core work and other stuff. I also can't go to the gym any day but those two, so I'm kind of limited to doing core stuff/cardio at home.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whats your goal

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agent Zero said:
I used to lift 4 or even 5x per week, but now it has been down to 3x per week cause I have been busy. Plus I have been feeling lazy so I might only go twice this week. I feel like 3x is okay, but is 2x really lazy? Will I start to deteriorate?
3 workouts a week is the minimum. Check this Beginner Strength Training Program. It has 3 workouts a week of 30mins. That's 1h30 a week.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
twice a week if structured properly works fine for strength/size/whatever else you may want.

obviously more frequent training means more frequent strength gains but if you can only do 2x a week then it's fine. some people's recovery means they can ONLY make gains on 2x a week.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Azmodan said:
That actually is an appropriate question. My lifting routine certainly isn't for everybody.
So is there an answer?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
from this page: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2428

HARDGAINER/LOW VOLUME, LOW FREQUENCY ROUTINE
This format is one that after everyone reads the routines, not one in 20 will pick this one, and the truth is, about 5-8 out of the 20 will do better on this one than any of the others. Why will no one pick it? It’s not “flashy” it doesn’t have a fancy name, nor will most guys ever believe it could be “enough” work after reading “Flex” and the like seeing the “routines of the pro’s”. Well the truth is those damn routines of the “pro’s” work for a select few and most guys reading this are not likely to one of those guys.

Day One:

Dips or Bench Press 2 x 6-8

Incline Press, or incline Fly 2 x 10-12

Military Press, Or Hammer Shoulder Press 2 x 6-8

Tricep (skull crushers) Extensions or Tricep Pushdowns 2 x 10-12

Heavy Abs 3 x 10

Day Two:

Pull-Up 3 sets to failure

Barbell Row 2 x 8

EZ-Bar Or Dumbell Curl 1 x 10

Squats 2 x 10

Deadlifts, or Stiff-Legged Deadlift 1 x 10

Sub-Routine:

Here is another Hardgainer Style Routine done three days a week. TRUE hardgainers will do MUCH better on the two-day, as will many lifters with fairly good recovery.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a 4 day routine, day 1 -chest/tris, day 2-legs, day 3 -back/bis, and day 4 -shoulders/traps. Abs are thrown in each day. I'm lifting heavy weights to bulk, so rest days are important to me.

Sometimes I'll only get 3 days a week in, but mostly 4. My work schedule keeps changing unfortunately, but I always follow this rotation.

Everyone is different, this is working for me now so I'm going with it.

My recommendation is try different programs until you start getting the results you want. When you do start getting results, keep with that program for as long as it's working.

dankane

Don Juan
Reaction score
i lift every other day

and i lift each muscle pretty much once a week, works pretty well for me

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agent Zero said:
2x is just this week. I do 3x normally. I guess I'm alright.
oh geez, the holiday... just skip wednesday and go back friday..

MrLuvr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been doing 2 a week and it is working much better for me than 3 a week. Depends on your body. My body needs the recovery time. I wasnt making any gains on 3X.