How do I get buff arms?

TheWingMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sixteen-years-old and in High School. Thing is, I have very skinny arms and I've come to notice that my arms are skinnier than some girls I know. Are there any foods, workouts, exercise regimes, etc. that I can do to build some muscle in my arms?

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What everyone else said, plus gaining weight. You wont see 20" guns on a 150lb guy...

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Youll definitely need to bulk. A lot. Youll need to add about 30lb bodyweight just to get an extra 2 inch around your arms.

Concentrate on rows and pullups. Big compound moves will get your body growing and your arms will follow naturally.
Isolated exercises will mostly just define your arms more.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
Youll definitely need to bulk. A lot. Youll need to add about 30lb bodyweight just to get an extra 2 inch around your arms.

Concentrate on rows and pullups. Big compound moves will get your body growing and your arms will follow naturally.
Isolated exercises will mostly just define your arms more.
Quoted for truth

Smerpy

Reaction score
At what point should you start to cut ? Or do you go at a constant bulking pace and continuing lifting heavier and heavier ?

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smerpy said:
At what point should you start to cut ? Or do you go at a constant bulking pace and continuing lifting heavier and heavier ?
I honestly wouldnt be cutting right now if i didn't have injuries that prevent me from lifting heavy. But its entirely up to you.

If you bulk clean then you should gain pretty lean mass.

I have a 6pack - I dont mid if it fades a little, but if its completely covered by bodyfat then its time to cut and cardio. Thats MY way to tell though - other guys here choose their own ways depending on their personal goals.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Youtube: CT Fletcher - I command you to grow bicep workout :rockon:

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
Youtube: CT Fletcher - I command you to grow bicep workout :rockon:
I would suggest more focus on the triceps - since the muscle should be about 65 - 70% of your upper arm. the biceps only look good when flexed, the triceps will make your ams look good all the time.

hit them from all angles to get all three heads grown huge ;)

Smerpy

Reaction score
Purefilth said:
I would suggest more focus on the triceps - since the muscle should be about 65 - 70% of your upper arm. the biceps only look good when flexed, the triceps will make your ams look good all the time.

hit them from all angles to get all three heads grown huge ;)

What kind of triceps exercises do you recommend ? I generally hate doing tricep isolation exercises.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smerpy said:
What kind of triceps exercises do you recommend ? I generally hate doing tricep isolation exercises.
same here,hate that sh!t. triceps pullovers and dips immediately done after a heavy strict press session

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
This is good advice. The other guys on this thread are suggesting TYPES of exercises and lifts--and that's good--but FOOD is key here.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. DIET is most important. THEN the weights.

LEAN BEEF
TUNA
CHICKEN
BROWN RICE
OATMEAL
EXTRA LARGE EGGS
BLACK BEANS

The foods above are just a few that are calorically and nutritionally DENSE and will pack on plenty of pounds if you eat lots of them.
Good foods here - i will eat 5 - 6 times a day and have 2 -3 shakes and probably snack too.

Ive gone from 78 up to almost 100 kg in bodyweight.

eat like a champion, lift heavy, and get lots of sleep. Cut out shiitty sugary drinks and try to get as much water as possible into you. (when you piss it should be almost clear)

I love doing triceps - sadly i feel like mine are lagging at the moment, so i hit them hard. Once on shoulders day and once on chest day (i have about 48 - 72 hours between these two days).

After doing the main lifts that the triceps come secondary on, theyre generally warmed up so ill do "dirty 30's".
Dirty 30's
10 close grip skull crushers
10 close grip bench
10 OH DB Pullovers.

- no rest between each excersize.
Do 3 sets of those.
Each one hits a different head of the tricep.

then tricep pull downs and tricep pushdowns - again these both hit different parts.

Plenty of dips needed too - I start and finish doing dips.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
unless you are benching above 220lbs and deadlifting 300lbs ....big arms wont happen .period.

ive never seen a guy who is eating 6000 calories/day and doing 20kg biceps curls or squatting 50kg gain big arms.never.yeah i see them all the time, they take pics of their "buff arms" which is in fact just defined due to low fat % but lacks any density or size whatsoever..then there is their chicken..no their flamingo legs which makes me wanna laugh my ass off

TheWingMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I play soccer/football so my legs are actually more developed than most of my friends. That makes me look funny, lmao. But thats also why I want to focus on my upper body more.

Freddy.k

Don Juan
Reaction score
TheWingMan,
if you want to get big arms u gotta understand a few things :

1- the size of the arms is in proportion with the size of the whole body, meaning that the more weight you gain, the bigger your arms will get. since you have very skinny arms, I am sure you are a skinny guy.
so if you want bigger arms, you need to gain weight by eating more and training your whole body especially legs, back, chest and shoulders. the back help train the biceps, shoulders and chest help train the triceps.

2- the main muscles in the arms are : shoulders, triceps, biceps and forearms.
the biceps have two head whereas the triceps have 3. if you want bigger arms consider training the triceps in more angles because they have more head which mean that they are bigger than the biceps. you only have the illusion that the biceps are bigger but that's not true.

3- u can train arms 1-2 times per week. train why heavy weights and dude sets till failure.

4-eat eat eat! and rest because your arms need to heal.

5- if you are like me, you probably have weak forearms so train them well because you are only as strong as your weakest muscle.

6-never skip any body part especially legs, because legs are the biggest muscles in the body , which means they will help you very much in gaining mass which well help you develop bigger arms indirectly, not to forget that training legs increase testosterone in the body.

TheWingMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Freddy.k said:
TheWingMan,
if you want to get big arms u gotta understand a few things :

1- the size of the arms is in proportion with the size of the whole body, meaning that the more weight you gain, the bigger your arms will get. since you have very skinny arms, I am sure you are a skinny guy.
so if you want bigger arms, you need to gain weight by eating more and training your whole body especially legs, back, chest and shoulders. the back help train the biceps, shoulders and chest help train the triceps.

2- the main muscles in the arms are : shoulders, triceps, biceps and forearms.
the biceps have two head whereas the triceps have 3. if you want bigger arms consider training the triceps in more angles because they have more head which mean that they are bigger than the biceps. you only have the illusion that the biceps are bigger but that's not true.

3- u can train arms 1-2 times per week. train why heavy weights and dude sets till failure.

4-eat eat eat! and rest because your arms need to heal.

5- if you are like me, you probably have weak forearms so train them well because you are only as strong as your weakest muscle.

6-never skip any body part especially legs, because legs are the biggest muscles in the body , which means they will help you very much in gaining mass which well help you develop bigger arms indirectly, not to forget that training legs increase testosterone in the body.
Solid advice there man, I will definitly use it.