How dangerous is approaching?

*RHCP*

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its scary, all the stories you hear about people getting stabbed and beaten up. I live a a well-off neighborhood, so its safer I guess, but still, the private schools around my house apparently have gang wars with each other. Its almost like a catch 22 situation, to traverse all this **** you have to have social skills, but to get social skills, you have to go outside. To top it all off the school I go to is select entry, and everyone is either a nerd or knows how to control their testosterone. Most people are really nice and the majority of the athletic guys are the self-assured, friendly dj type. So I really havn't seen anything bad for 2 and a half year now. And im also really short which makes me a target for the insecure type who want to show off.

Its still probably more dangerous not to do it, as that would be another risk in the direction of 'wasting my life', but I was just wondering, what should I expect.

ItWasntMe

Don Juan
Reaction score
When you say approach do you mean like approaching a girl or approaching random people. Perhaps approach is too aggressive of a word to describe what you need to do. When you 'approach' someone all you're really doing is initiating a conversation with the person. Walking up to your teacher on a Monday and and saying 'Hey Mr. Whatever, how was your weekend' can be considered you approaching your teacher. Just relax a bit. Saying 'Hi' and being friendly hasn't gotten anyone I know killed and I live in Toronto in a relatively bad place (it used to be good but immigration and stuff resulted in the area's rep going down).

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure you're not going to get stabbed by saying "hey...what's up". The first few times I approached the girls kinda distractidely said hi and then glared or walked away. There's not much worst that can happen than that.

The only way you'll get experience is to approach. So simply approach, btw if it helps every time I approach I basically say to myself "its never gonna work, Ill talk to her for a minute and then we'll never see each other again" for most people this would discourage them, but for me for some reason it makes me a lot less nervous and gives me a dont-give-a-sh!t attitude.

PS: I love the chili peppers.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dang man dont worry so much. even if u live in a rough area, all u gotta do is stand up for yourself when u need to and hav confidence in yourself. myself, i live in long beach and the area around my school is a lil dangerous but no one is ever gonna run up and kill u in broad daylight if ur jus goin to school...im actually glad that i went to a school where its not all goody goody honors kids cus it prepares u for the real life...that being said, keep ur grades up cus jus cus ur smart doesnt make u a nerd..

gmillar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't walk out of an alley at 2am wearing a hoodie with a skull on it and approach a girl. Do it in broad daylight with people around. Why the hell would you get stabbed?

Man Man

Don Juan
Reaction score
gmillar said:
Don't walk out of an alley at 2am wearing a hoodie with a skull on it and approach a girl. Do it in broad daylight with people around. Why the hell would you get stabbed?
So I've been doing it wrong all along!

Snow Plowman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are an excuser

Especially the things you learn on here and the way most develop after awhile, getting into a fight is almost comical. Lets go to the so called most likely situation where you'd think you'd get into a fight.

I've had like a month where I constantly was mistakenly gaming chicks with bfs. They basically had went to the bathroom or something and when they came back they see me talking to there girl. :crackup:

Everytime I sat there continuing to talk (wanted to see how far this could go) if a friend was with me they would tell me to get up because that's her bf. It was funny but they usually just stand there and watch, or stand there a little surprised.

AMOGs...the hostile ones that won't beat you up so longs your socially savy. A social guy can get out of some pretty crazy social situations.

Two distinct stories is what I heard two days ago from RSD Jlaix...The first one was about when he first hung out with TD way back. One time TD was talking to a chick and the AMOG's friends started grabbing and touching TD. He was 100% unreactive about it and Jeffy was thinking WTF. After the guy just gave up and grabbed his chick in like a headlock and started pulling her away...right when TD was getting the #. She was yelling out the # as the guy was pulling her away. (This is just a brief summary on a point he was trying to make which was too funny, but I'm using it for you to get an idea of worrying about getting stabbed)

Second story was about Jeffy, I can't remember what happened but he said how a guy grabbed him in a choke hold. So now everyone thought it was about to be a fight, but Jeffy was laughing the whole time and slamming his elbow into the guy's chest while laughing. No one could tell if it was a fight or not because Jeffy was laughing. Then the guy let him go thinking WTF, why is he laughing.

Point is really your just making excuses. What is the worst that can happen? A chick cursing you out? Trust me on this I live in one of the worst neighborhoods in NY and I have yet to get into any fight. Most people try to avoid fights because they make fighting seem like it's a very painful thing that they can't take. I remember being in a party drunk once and tripping over about 20 dudes, a few who were making out with there girls.

Overall it's about knowing who you are. Having that line of what you would and would not accept, and just asserting that line anytime someone crosses it. That way you don't look like a guy that can just get walked over.

One thing that I personally think is important for situations like this is...Frame Control...Frame control...and o yea FRAME CONTROL

oteao99

Don Juan
Reaction score
*RHCP* said:
Its scary, all the stories you hear about people getting stabbed and beaten up. I live a a well-off neighborhood, so its safer I guess, but still, the private schools around my house apparently have gang wars with each other. Its almost like a catch 22 situation, to traverse all this **** you have to have social skills, but to get social skills, you have to go outside. To top it all off the school I go to is select entry, and everyone is either a nerd or knows how to control their testosterone. Most people are really nice and the majority of the athletic guys are the self-assured, friendly dj type. So I really havn't seen anything bad for 2 and a half year now. And im also really short which makes me a target for the insecure type who want to show off.

Its still probably more dangerous not to do it, as that would be another risk in the direction of 'wasting my life', but I was just wondering, what should I expect.
are you serious?

Supremo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
oteao99 said:
are you serious?
Yeah really man.
I know when you're starting out, talking to girls is a scary deal... but really. Getting STABBED?

Ok here's the deal, if you talk to a girl and people start frontin on your shlt... hit me up I'll come over and beat their asses :box: :up: