High energy, (low cost) foods for the lunch break

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like spending triple for sh!t food while at work, so I'm searching for quick recipes that I could prepare at home and eat at the lunch break.

What should I prepare?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I work 12's ... so bring enough food for 3 meals.

Meal 1: 7-8 oz baked thicken w/ veges (had peas today) and 1 avacado
Meal 2: 800 calorie mass gainer shake
Meal 3: 6 oz baked chicken w/ veges and 2 cups oatmeal.

ttl: over 2500 calories and 140-150 g of protein.

I also have a meal before work and a meal after I get home.

I think the chicken cost me around $20 for several pounds... enough to last me 4-5 days. Buy the frozen veges, they're cheap and not go bad. Avacados are quite calorie dense and have lotsa good fats. They're not that cheap, but defnitely a lot better than eating out. Oatmeal is dirt cheap.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
It's good you've finally gotten fed up with wasting money on bullsh!t junk.

First, realize junk is not food. They should not share the same sentence.

Second, Cooking for yourself is helpful in every way. You learn different techniques and expand your palette, while relishing the fact you know exactly what's going into your body.

Cheap does not mean bad. Some staples I use every week for work lunch:

Chicken. #1. It's invaluable, it's cheap, and it's so accommodating in various meals and different cooking methods.

Tuna, beef chuck (have your butcher grind a 3-pound chuck for a most excellent burger or for use in low-carb tacos), You can get corned beef for around $2/pound. The uses are limitless.

Start with fresh chicken breasts and watch the last 3 seasons of Top Chef. Not only will you wow yourself with what you're capable of, but the women in your life will be amazingly impressed.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Natural peanut butter probably has the most energy for the least amount of money.

lozi7

Reaction score
I think you should be use juices and and fruits in a food. it will be best for you. With the use of it , you will be healthful and fit and can reduce your weight easily. i hope you will like my opinion.

bukowski_merit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I made these up myself; specifically designed to be cheap and easy:

Kidney Beans and Tuna
1 Can of Kidney Beans (completely drained!!!!!)
1-2 Cans of Tuna Fish

Cook the Kidney beans, throw in the Tuna. Throw into baggies (i throw some pepper on top). Eat cold or warmed up. (i know it doesn't sound that great, but for some reason - it's pretty good.) $3-$5

Oatmeal Apple Cookies
3 Cups of Dry Irish Oatmeal
4 Cups of No Sugar Added Applesauce
1 Skinless Chopped up apple (100% the main ingredient; without it these taste really dull)
2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons of Stevia (or some other sweetener)
1/2 Cup of Ground Flax Seed (provides a cookie texture)
2-3 Servings of Vanilla Protein Powder (i've used muscle milk before and it's way better, but not as healthy)

Mix together, scoop onto baking sheet using about 1-2 tablespoons of mixture per cookie, and cook in oven on 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with more cinnamon and sweetener. Let sit for 30 minnutes or so... Throw in baggies and put it in fridge. Costs about $30 the first time you buy the neccesary ingredients, but many of them can be used over and over to the point 10-20 cookies will cost about $10 and last a whole week (these are thick Calorie dense cookies, so you shouldn't need more than 2-4 per sitting).

I also enjoy chicken and lettuce salads with crushed pinnaple in place of salad dressing. Costs about $5.

You might also be able to go to the local grocery store and get a whole cooked rotesserie chicken for $5-$7. Has about 1500 calories in it. Lasts 2 days if you eat 2 meals at work.

Luis

Reaction score
I think Kidney Beans and Tuna & Oatmeal Apple Cookies are best for this purpose the way you are looking for and its not too heavy and not much expensive.
Tampa personal trainer

Last edited:

AbrahamLincoin

Reaction score
You can try several recipes like
high energy slice
Power waffles
Banana bread.
They are rich in energy and quite low in cost.