having a little trouble

kevin1198

Don Juan
Reaction score
on my way to becoming a DJ i've realized the following problems, and any advice on fixing them is greatly appreciated.

out in the field i've noticed people would rather hang out with someone else rather than me.

im still having trouble talking to people, not topic wise, but whatever i say doesnt seem to spark interesting, and fun conversations.
I find that im either boring the people i talk to or making them feel weird.

something that is funny to me, usually is NEVER funny to anyone else.
sometimes i say something thats not really funny to me, but everyone else cracks up.

following the advice of some fellow DJ's I've tried watching comedy (jeff dunham, dane cook, etc.) but it doesnt seem to be helping yet.

nothing ever seems to improve.

sometimes im feeling pretty confident, and around my friends im pretty fun sometimes. but if we head out to a party, it's like i lose thought and go back to my AFC.

how can i improve my conversational skills so i can keep people interested, and be able to be the life of the group.

thedude4242

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
talk about interesting things. be observant of the thing going on around you and use that. think of current things going on. the new one is tiger woods jokes.

thedoc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just practice and don't be afraid to say what's on your mind, you'll definitely get better if you keep practicing. Don't be afraid to mess up, trial and error's the best way to learn.

^^ Tiger Woods jokes are getting old btw.

Nesbigg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I quite understand ur plight. As for communication skills, the trick is in listening and paying attention. Asking questions that are elaborate or ambiguous is better than yes/no answers. As for jokes, what i do is any silly statement becomes a joke. Misunderstanding statements is a great technique e.g a friend of mine told me today that i was blaspheming and i ask him what brought about black film in my statement. To sum it up be creative.