Hair Thinning - Advice Needed!

Chimera

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, my hair just recently started thinning. Is there anything I can do to stop, slow, or even conceal (Not talking about combovers) the process? I've searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything that could really help. Can thinning be caused by anything other than genes?

I'm only 16, so I don't want to risk Propecia. Are there any other products that would be able to stop thinning? I've also heard about this thing that attaches micro-fibers to the hair as well. Would you recommend that?

Also, if I can't stop it, would getting a hair transplant be a good idea? Shaving my head seems a bit too radical...

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about treatments, however, if it goes too bad......just shave it off loose it with dignity.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, if I can't stop it, would getting a hair transplant be a good idea? Shaving my head seems a bit too radical...
You have no idea how silly you just managed to make yourself sound. At the age of 16, you're talking about a hair transplant. THAT is far more radical than shaving your head.

Listen, I'm starting to have my hairline thin back a bit. Am I bothered? No. Why? Cause I couldnt care less. When it gets THAT bad I'll shave my head, and end up looking like one of those bald headed solid guys that walk around.

Having no hair is like being with a small chested chick. Sure, it's cool to play with it, but if it isnt there, it's not the end of the world.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
On the radical scale I think shaving is a better option than transplant, do you know how they do that?

16 seems very young although I know guys who had MPB at 18.

It could be something else. Is it typical MPB ie receeding at temples and crown or clumps/general thinning. It could be a hormonal problem brought on by stress, diet or environment.

See your Doc!

At the end of the day it may well be genetic baldness. In which case you will have no choice other than to shave it, grow a goate and hit the weights room.

Dead End Kid

Reaction score
If your black shave your head, if your white and have a nice shaped head shave it, other than that get the spray that doesn't rub off easily its called "Topix" or something like that.

nw1512

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nizoral will slow down the thinning process, just use 3 times a week.

If you want proof try searching "Nizoral for hair loss"

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check out Dermatch or, the better alternative in my opinion, Maxiderm. They're concealers which work by coating and thickening the hair. I was very cynical at first thinking it would be like painting my scalp, but I was amazed how effective it is and how natural it looks.

Of course it's not a permanent solution and at some point you have to accept the hair loss, but in the meantime I just treat it as part of my daily grooming like adding in hair gel or the like.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chimera said:
Well, my hair just recently started thinning. Is there anything I can do to stop, slow, or even conceal (Not talking about combovers) the process? I've searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything that could really help. Can thinning be caused by anything other than genes?

I'm only 16,
Hair thinning at 16. Not good.
so I don't want to risk Propecia. Good.
Are there any other products that would be able to stop thinning? I've also heard about this thing that attaches micro-fibers to the hair as well. Would you recommend that?

Focus on the root, not the symptom.

lkjljkljkl

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone's experience with hair loss is probably as different as we are all from each other. It seems genetically difficult to predict who will become bald, because there is some truth to the old wive's tale about baldness being inherited from the mother's father.

"You inherit baldness from your mother's father."

Previously, early baldness of the androgenic type was thought to be sex linked dominant in males and to be sex linked recessive in females.[citation needed]
Research suggests that the gene for the androgen receptor, which is significant in determining probability for hair loss, is located on the X chromosome and so is always inherited from the mother's side.[38] There is a 50% chance that a person shares the same X chromosome as his maternal grandfather. Because women have two X chromosomes, they will have two copies of the androgen receptor gene while men only have one. However, research has also shown that a person with a balding father also has a significantly greater chance of experiencing hair loss. Men whose fathers had experienced hairloss were 2.5 times more likely to experience hairloss themselves, regardless of the mother's side of the family.[39][40]

Source: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Baldness

Chimera, where exactly have you noticed the hair thinning? Is it everywhere? The crown of your head? Has your scalp changed?

For me, the bangs area of my scalp have changed and I have a widow's peak. On my crown, I cannot tell if I have a "burn spot" or a "bald spot." I am considering chemical treatment. My dad is bald, his brother is in his early 60s or late 50s and is starting to finally go bald, but the men in my mother's family have full heads of hair. So for me, I'm still not sure what's to come for me. My older brother has a high forehead but is not "bald" I would say. I'm 26 and I feel like I still have some time to turn things around. I didn't notice a "maturing" forehead until I was 24. I'm planning on looking through old pictures of my dad to see when he started to lose it.

Also, there is talk of side effects of Finasteride, but this seems to be rare:

"Finasteride has been well tolerated in all studies, with a discontinuation rate similar to that of placebo. Sexual side effects were the most common, with 3.8 percent of the treated group experiencing decreased libido, erectile dysfunction or decreased volume of ejaculate, compared with 2.1 percent of the placebo group. Breast enlargement and tenderness, reported with use of the 5-mg dose, has not been reported with the 1-mg dose used to treat balding. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels may be lowered with chronic finasteride therapy, hampering the diagnostic value of the PSA test. Finasteride should not be used in women or children. It is a known teratogen, and the manufacturer recommends that the tablets not be taken or handled by pregnant women."

Source: http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0415/p2189.html

You can also massage the scalp to increase circulation to your hair. Good diet, B vitamins, exercise, and protein help.

pondersaizi

Reaction score
After using it...my scalp became extremely itchy and dry. So in order to combat that I needed Nizoral 2% which is a shampoo specifically used to combat the flakiness. I stayed on the treatments consistently for a year and started to grow out my hair. It was thicker than before but my crown was still visibly thin.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you still take finestaride? that **** causes impotence. true story. if i were president i would ban that forever, so many lives it destroyed, are you gonna be another one? look at other people's stories, just search finasteride side effects or something. you should find a ton. if u cant find any ask me i will provide them to you, easily.

you should figure out why u are loosing hair at 27 bro!! loosing hair is for ****ing old people. god didn't mean that to us young beautiful peoeple. you guys gotta think even if the doctors don't know what can be causing it, you may figure it out yourself perhaps? in a while it will become a miracle to have a full head of hair at 20? what the hell? the older societies are being reborn in their graves and dying again! this isn't right. take care of your health, your hair will follow unless of course it is genetic which i doubt, personally. you gotta exclude the other causes first. msg me if this stays the same or gets worse, i can try to help. :) please do message me if you want to, even if u aren't registered at this website. i have a hunch a lot of peopel are facing the same "genetic" problem.

Nik TPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask your doctor. He or she can help you a lot better than we can.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As someone who takes Propecia at 21, I'm a fan. Been on it for about six months. Hairline is still receding, but it's definitely slowed down/grown back the hair towards the back.

As for the impotence, my dermatologist said a study proved it was BS. My derm went to Harvard, if it makes you feel better. I thought I was a little less sexual at first, but it's because I was thinking about it more plus I'm 21 now. My libido is slowly reducing.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bling said:
As for the impotence, my dermatologist said a study proved it was BS. My derm went to Harvard, if it makes you feel better. I thought I was a little less sexual at first
So, your dermatologist knows more then nature. Good for you!

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bling said:
Boy the quality of this site has diminished.
He tought he was less sexual. His dermatologist says that is BS. It was just a fancy was of pointing that out. I am right, tho. TCM says excessive masturbation can cause kidney qi to be depleted. Hair is related to the kidney. Excessive masturbation will cause hair loss... They have medicine for that.

I should have said this roght away. My bad. Don't know why I didn't straight up say it like a man.

tadcrawford

Reaction score
1. Natural aloe-vera
It's already been used in hundreds of years by Indian native tribes in South usa. They're saying which aloe vera can make their head of hair heavy and wholesome. Rub a few natural aloe-vera carbamide peroxide gel into hair and head every evening.

2. Green tea extract

It's considered that consuming several glasses of green tea each day or consuming it within capsule type will slow up the risk of getting hair loss.

3. Red Spice up

Apply red-colored pepper skin straight to the actual scalp. This can function as a pores and skin irritant which will promote the discharge of histamine, the industry protein involved with allergy symptoms.

4. Nettle Root

The main extract associated with Nettle plant is extremely useful when you are fighting hair thinning. In the event that none are available, you can purchase this in tablet or tablet form. Nettle underlying contains fats and mineral deposits that may excite your follicles of hair and therefore encourage the actual regrowth associated with hair.

5. Dong Quai
This can be referred to as Angelica. It may be present in traditional Chinese language drugstores. This particular herb consists of phytoestrogens that reduces producing Dihydrotestosterone. Dong Quai may also be used through women.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as a mineral imbalance or iron deficiency. That causes hair to fall out.

Or it could be genetic and you can't do anything about it. We are going to need more info than hair thinning. Is your scalp itchy and inflamed? Maybe you have an infection? Do you have members in your immediate family who are bald? Who you are related to genetically. Grandfathers, when did they lose their hair? Very old age or sooner?

Find and correct the underlying issue. Also, don't take iron pills unless you have a blood test done. It's easy to overdose.