Gym Dates?

Travel memoir21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Tinder brought this idea up.

Anyone here ever took one of their first dates to a Gym date? That would make some nice pair bonding and you could spot her on the bench and squat lol.

Vanderdonck

Don Juan
Reaction score
My Tinder brought this idea up.

Anyone here ever took one of their first dates to a Gym date? That would make some nice pair bonding and you could spot her on the bench and squat lol.
At first I was going to be negative about it but sure - why not? If she's into fitness it is a great opportunity for kino and flirting, physical temptation etc. I personally don't like chatting much at the gym but if I know it's a date I'll be more playful about it.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd suggest doing outdoor sports together, not go to an indoor gym.
Then again, I really don't like gyms.

I've taken bokken to a date on the beach where I instructed my date into learning the first kenjutsu kata of TSKSR. That was a lot of fun and we had several more beach dates like that.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For a first date, this is not likely to be a good idea. Some of this depends on where and how you met. This would be a definite no for those meeting via a swipe app.

Clockwerk50

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It’d be a disaster if you had to do bench press or squats that day and she just wants to use the machines or the smith machines. Not only you would not spend any time together, but if you do, you’d be decreasing your workout intensity and you kind of be appeasing her. For those in the “you can train her” or “take her under your wing”, there has been instances that I have tried that with other males and females and they stop coming to the gym due to the work outs being too intense for them.

I guess this only relates to weight training. Maybe something easier going like rock climbing, cycling class, or Zumba can work but I don’t have experience with that.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The biggest thing that no one has mentioned so far with gym dates is the membership aspect. It's not that likely that you and some female you meet from either a random in-person approach or a swipe app will be a member of the same gym. That will cause logistical problems.

A possible scenario is that both you and the female are both multi-club members in big box gyms like LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness. That would enable a gym date to be possible with fewer logistical issues.

A regular gym date faces the issues @Rainrain mentions if it can even be scheduled. Some gyms do offer fitness classes and that might be a better option for a date. I'll explain more below.

Maybe something easier going like rock climbing, cycling class, or Zumba can work but I don’t have experience with that.
If somehow you can work past logistical membership issues, going to a gym class at a gym could work. It might be challenging to agree on a class format to attend together. If you can, it would be a decent first date but this is far less probable and far more challenging from a logistics standpoint than either setting a date for drinks in a bar, or even activity dates like walking around a park with a lake or playing mini golf/TopGolf. I'd rather schedule something easier logistically, which is why I tend to schedule bar dates as my first dates most of the time.

There are also standalone class-based fitness studios for some fitness formats. It's possible to go to a standalone studio for classes too. Since you mentioned cycling classes and I have some experience with cycling classes, this is how it would happen.

Cycling classes on stationary indoor bicycles are rather basic. Most generally fit people can do them at least semi-competently their first time. If you go to a standalone studio like SoulCycle or Cyclebar (two big national cycling chains in the USA), you have bicycles with specialized clip in shoes. Dealing with the clip in shoes for the first few times is annoying and takes time ahead of class. It's generally recommended to arrive early. A lot of women have issues like being on time for first dates, so I can't imagine that the typical female from an approach or an app is going to take this seriously.

The cycling classes themselves are about riding to the beat of the music and often doing choreography type moves in there. Most guys don't excel at either of those. There are some cycling classes that aren't choreo based (generally ones at places like LA Fitnes), but Soul and Cyclebar are. Other small standalone studios would likely be choreo based.

Getting seats in SoulCycle or CycleBar classes can be a challenge too. Most seats are taken by people with memberships or those who have bought short term class packages. As a guy, you would need to have some short term class package to book your own seat in a class and then get the female in on a drop in provided she's not a full member or class pack member at those studios. Additionally, even if you could get into the same class, it would be unlikely that you could get 2 bikes next to each other. That's a bit silly for a cycling class.

Some HIIT format class or yoga without designated seating is probably better than cycling for a date, but even those classes have logistical issues.

I'd recommend sticking to bar dates or a few basic activities like walking/local sightseeing or maybe an intriguing museum. There's a reason I do bar dates for the majority of first dates.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The biggest thing that no one has mentioned so far with gym dates is the membership aspect. It's not that likely that you and some female you meet from either a random in-person approach or a swipe app will be a member of the same gym. That will cause logistical problems.

A possible scenario is that both you and the female are both multi-club members in big box gyms like LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness. That would enable a gym date to be possible with fewer logistical issues.

A regular gym date faces the issues @Rainrain mentions if it can even be scheduled. Some gyms do offer fitness classes and that might be a better option for a date. I'll explain more below.

If somehow you can work past logistical membership issues, going to a gym class at a gym could work. It might be challenging to agree on a class format to attend together. If you can, it would be a decent first date but this is far less probable and far more challenging from a logistics standpoint than either setting a date for drinks in a bar, or even activity dates like walking around a park with a lake or playing mini golf/TopGolf. I'd rather schedule something easier logistically, which is why I tend to schedule bar dates as my first dates most of the time.

There are also standalone class-based fitness studios for some fitness formats. It's possible to go to a standalone studio for classes too. Since you mentioned cycling classes and I have some experience with cycling classes, this is how it would happen.

Cycling classes on stationary indoor bicycles are rather basic. Most generally fit people can do them at least semi-competently their first time. If you go to a standalone studio like SoulCycle or Cyclebar (two big national cycling chains in the USA), you have bicycles with specialized clip in shoes. Dealing with the clip in shoes for the first few times is annoying and takes time ahead of class. It's generally recommended to arrive early. A lot of women have issues like being on time for first dates, so I can't imagine that the typical female from an approach or an app is going to take this seriously.

The cycling classes themselves are about riding to the beat of the music and often doing choreography type moves in there. Most guys don't excel at either of those. There are some cycling classes that aren't choreo based (generally ones at places like LA Fitnes), but Soul and Cyclebar are. Other small standalone studios would likely be choreo based.

Getting seats in SoulCycle or CycleBar classes can be a challenge too. Most seats are taken by people with memberships or those who have bought short term class packages. As a guy, you would need to have some short term class package to book your own seat in a class and then get the female in on a drop in provided she's not a full member or class pack member at those studios. Additionally, even if you could get into the same class, it would be unlikely that you could get 2 bikes next to each other. That's a bit silly for a cycling class.

Some HIIT format class or yoga without designated seating is probably better than cycling for a date, but even those classes have logistical issues.

I'd recommend sticking to bar dates or a few basic activities like walking/local sightseeing or maybe an intriguing museum. There's a reason I do bar dates for the majority of first dates.
Gym dates are for people who aren't actually serious about the gym.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gym dates are for people who aren't actually serious about the gym.
I think that makes sense. While I might not be the most serious person about the gym, I am serious enough that I wouldn't schedule a first or second date there.

The general gym floor or a before/after a fitness class is a good time to do some in-person approaching to arrange dates for elsewhere. Neither the gym nor fitness classes are even a great place to approach.

According to this thread, it's in the D Tier and probably the lower part of the D Tier as a way to meet women.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just don't expect to have one of your more high quality workout sessions that day, that's for sure.