groin pain from squats

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just started working out about 3 weeks ago and I am doing Rippetoe's program. For the past week or so, I have felt some pain in my groin area. It is much worse on the left side, but I feel it a little on the right side too. The pain isn't real bad, but it is uncomfortable when I stretch certain ways. I've been able to still increase the weight with each workout, but I don't want this pain to get worse.

I am almost positive this is being caused by the squats, but I feel like my form is good and shouldn't be causing this pain. However, is there something that I might be doing that would cause pain in that area that I may not be aware of?

Thanks

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How often are you squatting? If you're doing something ridiculous like squatting 3 times per week then I'm not surprised it hurts.

If your body hurts then rest it. It's only going to get worse.

edmond

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is your posture perfect?
Are you warming up?
What weights are you starting with?
Are you on a machine or free weights?

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am following Mark Rippetoe's program for beginners. Following this program, you squat 3 times a week. Your workset is 3x5 with the same weight for each set and you start the program off at a weight that is much lighter than your max and then attempt to add some weight to the bar each workout. I started out very light and have not made very aggressive jumps, so I don't think I am stressing my body too much (I have not failed on a set or rep yet).

I bought his book and have followed his detailed instructions for the squat very closely. I feel that my form is solid for a beginner and I can't identify any glaring problem right now. Also, I am using free weights, no machines.

Warming up could possibly be the problem. I stretch for a couple minutes and then start my workout. I also do warm up sets for each lift before my work sets. Sometimes I do feel a little tight at the start of my workout and don't feel fully loosened up until mid-way through.

Do you have any suggestions on a more complete warm up routine to get my body fully ready to lift? Also, could anyone address my first question about something that I may be doing while squatting that I am unaware of that could possibly be causing pain in my groin area?

Thanks

edmond

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First you must prepare yourself mentally even BEFORE you enter the gym.
Do about 5 to 6 minutes all over body warm up on a bike or step machine, when you feel warm all over, do about 10 Reps squats with only a Olympic bar, more specific warm up.
Make sure that you have someone who know how to squat watching your form.
Good Luck.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You will most likely adapt to the workload if you are indeed using good form.

I ride the stationary bike for 3-5 minutes then start with ligher squats to warm up. You really aren't supposed to stretch while you're cold. I'd do the warming up then some light stretches if you really want to stretch.

manuva said:
How often are you squatting? If you're doing something ridiculous like squatting 3 times per week then I'm not surprised it hurts.

I'm sorry; you know better than famous strength coaches Mark Rippetoe and Bill Starr?

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You shouldn't do any static stretching before your workout. Do a nice warm up and do several empty or light sets of squats before you get into the weight. This gets blood flowing to the area and gets the joints and muscles ready for weight. Than stretch after your workout, and even strecth on your off days.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
I'm sorry
Why are you sorry?

you know better than famous strength coaches Mark Rippetoe and Bill Starr?
I know that if your groin is sore, squatting 3 times per week is not going to fix it.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it soreness or actual pain? If it's soreness, then don't sweat it. If it's real pain, then decrease the ******d angle of your toes (Rippetoe says 30 degress I believe, so put them at like 15 or however much you need to get rid of the pain without going in). Just remember to keep your knees in line with your feet.

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently it was just some soreness and it is feeling a lot better. I took your guys' advice and did a 5 minute warm up (no stretching) and then went into my warm up sets. I felt a lot more loosened up than I had in the past when I was just stretching cold before my workout. Thanks for the help and useful suggestions.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i pulled my groin a couple of times when i first started squatting.....it was mainly just a weak stabilizer, i had to go light on the squats and let it catch up before i could move up in weight without pulling it again.

food for thought