Got the military itch..help!

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Even though i have a stable life and a job i am still obsessed with the military. My current job is in science research and is the farthest thing from war. I get this itch every now and then to join and do some "commando" stuff. I know this is greatly oversimplifying the military and that there is nothing glamorous about war. I also realize that those who serve sacrifice alot. I also realize that war is horrible for both sides, for us and our so called "enemies". Maybe its the commercials/hollywood that make that stuff look badazz. In generally i am a pacifist and don't like fighting. I guess there is some latent primal urge in every man to conquer by violent force? Is there something wrong with me? Can yall relate?

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did the same thing back in the early part of the decade. I have no clue how to cure it. Nowadays, seeing how I have a family, I just thank the Good Lord that I've never had to witness a wartime situation but at the same time I know if my number's ever called upon, I would do my duty and fight for my rights.

Long story short, yes, I identify with your thoughts, but I don't have a way to pacify them. Just appreciate what's been done for you and the sacrifices made for you, and use it as motivation to be the best person you can be.

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with you. You are simply having a normal reaction to the glamorization of war presented by Hollywood and the Pentagon.

Joining the military and selecting a combat arms MOS is not something be done on a whim. Success in combat and the infantry branch requires a committment not unlike that of a strict religious order. It's a tough lifestyle that is simultaneously boring and tense.

There are no half measures on the training field or the battlefield. To survive and win in combat you MUST be the best soldier you can be. Hence, it is not an "itch" that you can scratch.

If you find yourself wanting to explore the military option further then I suggest you avoid the traditional routes. Find your nearest VA hospital and volunteer there on weekends. You will see first-hand what combat and active duty can do to a man's mind and body.

Then go the American Legion local office and volunteer to put flags/ornaments on the gravestones at the local military cemetery. Look carefully at the names on each headstone, and note their ages.

That's reality. No second chances, no "reboot", no time outs.

Also, read "About Face" by Colonel David Hackworth.

Sacrificing your health, body, sanity, and even your life to protect the people who are important to you is and always will be a noble undertaking. Just make sure that's the REAL purpose of those who would recruit you and send you into the meat grinder.

In the meantime, you might want to sate your appetite for destruction in a more tame way:

1. Martial arts
2. Fencing
3. Paintball
4. Airsoft
5. World War 2 or Vietnam reenactment groups.

A more practical and useful path that would be of more benefit to yourself and your local community would be to (one or more of the following):

1. Achieve and maintain an excellent level of physical fitness.
2. Become a Red Cross volunteer and become certified in First Aid/CPR/AED
3. Obtain EMT certification.
4. Read "The Truth About Self-Protection" by Massad Ayoob.
5. Learn a martial art.
6. Learn how to use a handgun and a longgun.
7. Learn how to be a leader.

Whatever you decide to do, it must be your decision. The consequences, or benefits, may stay with you for a lifetime.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, I got the same thing. Do what the above poster said. You could try to be a volunteer firefighter, it is not the same, but at least it will give you some experience in crisis situations.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the wise words. I was an EMT-B for a few years but i think im gonna go get a fire 1 cert too. I guess you are right. There are other ways to show leadership skills/masculinity and combat is not something to be taken lightly.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's natural to want to defend your way of life.

If you really want it, spend another few months thinking about it, and if the itch is still there then ... scratch it ;)

Many great and successful people have done military service, and it will make you a better and stronger person as a result.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just read a story about a kid who got both arms and both legs blown off driving over a bomb in Iraq. All so some politicians' stock can go up a few points.

No thanks.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nivapimpru said:
P.S. it's ok if you want to go there and guard puppy fields, or maybe get blown up in covert black ops missions, but when it comes to fire at your own, know that it's ok to disregard that order.
Who wouldn't want to go guard puppy fields? They're adorable!

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pandora said:
Thanks guys for the wise words. I was an EMT-B for a few years but i think im gonna go get a fire 1 cert too. I guess you are right. There are other ways to show leadership skills/masculinity and combat is not something to be taken lightly.
The fire routes a good way to go. I've done my share of exciting things, moutain climbing, skydiving, rock climbing, surfing, etc...and fire fighting!

I'll tell ya this, nothing even comes close to the rush of taking a hoseline into burning building. Or doing a search for victims, heat, smoke, can't see anything, really crazy stuff.

I say go for it! You won't regret it, and the folks you serve with at the station become family. The bond is that tight. Some of the best times of my life.

OH, and Espi, thanks for your service to our country. I do agree, we need brave folks to defend our nation. Military wasn't for me, so I chose fire service. Military isn't for everyone.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pandora said:
There are other ways to show leadership skills/masculinity and combat is not something to be taken lightly.
Sigh...more people have died trying to be tough than over anything else.

Whoever said firefighter is right. Use your big balls to help someone rather than hurt someone. Build a house instead of burn it. Save a life instead of take it.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Matthew 26:52

-Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Matthew 5:43-44

-Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
-But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Only if we followed matthew 44, we wouldn't have wars at all. Starting from the heart.

U

user43770

My buddy died in Afghanistan on Wednesday - 25 years old. RIP.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
Rest In Peace. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss :(

That is what the military involves, harsh realities of life.

One of the indicators recruiters use for filling competitive positions is, how have you approached joining the army? Is it from a position of strength and confidence where you're life is already good and you are a happy person even without the military? Or are you joining from a 'my life sucks, im looking for a way out or to start fresh' position?

One is stable and is more likely to succeed and be fully motivated to pursue a military career (which involves IMPS: minimum period of service), while the other is prone to bring their problems with them and be a liability to the military and their unit.

I will be looking at joining full time in two years (for a IMPS of 10 years!) or so once my studies are finished and I've landed a job, and from the discussions I've had with officers and enlisted in the military is that they are really attracted to that type of person, rather than someone who's been dragged off the couch by their parents and sent there in a "last hope" scenario.

Be mindful of how you approach a career (pulled or pushed?) and you'll have foresight as to how you'll perform and how much you'll enjoy it.

cheers

p.s. if you're going for officer you'd better start working on your life now. from my experience the one's who show leadership qualities in their civilian life are the ones who get the best positions, so develop those leadership skills now!