Going to buy fish oil for the first time ever

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
any suggestions, such asthings to look out for that firsttimebuyers wont know, brands, sizes, etc?
thanks!

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think it matters, I use to buy the brand name but now I've been buying the generics since they're half the price and no problems.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd suggest buy a smaller one so you can sample it. Make sure it's oil (ie you can spoon it into your mouth), not a capsule with oil inside.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO to make a significant difference w/ fish oils (the actual omega 3 lipids have long ass names abbreviated to EPA and DHA) you gotta take like 3-4 g of actual DHA/EPA in per day.

Most fish oil caps will contain anywhere from 200-500 mg of actual DHA/EPA. So that means you'll have to take a significant number of these pills to get to the 3-4 g range.

Liquids just make it easier to get the desired amount. I personally use gel caps because I don't mind popping pills.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ever consider eating fish?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Ever consider eating fish?
you'd need to eat a LOT of fish to get in the optimum amount of fish oil (which is anything between 20-45g a day).

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do a search on this and I talked about this topic before. I also mentioned the confusion some have about the oil and DHA/EPA. Some people think 20g of fish oil is the same as 20g of EPA/DHA. Some also think all fish is the same. I also broke down some fish too and their fat content.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i use gelcaps b/c i can get a hold of decent quality at a decent price, which has eluded me with the liquids. however, i'm taking 3 after nearly every meal (5-6 / day). advantage: it's spaced out through the day, and gets absorbed with and helps absorb whatever else i'm eating. disadvantage: that's a lot of pills.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
you'd need to eat a LOT of fish to get in the optimum amount of fish oil (which is anything between 20-45g a day).
Alright, I'll bite; 45g why so much?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
man after my own heart. :D
Oh, so THAT'S the story. Supplements are good as long as they replace having to eat fish... :whistle:

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fish is great, but Warboss is a bit of a landlubber.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BluEyes said:
Fish is great, but Warboss is a bit of a landlubber.
"Lubber?" Is that the stuff you find between the belly folds of a fat woman? :confused:

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
"Lubber?" Is that the stuff you find between the belly folds of a fat woman? :confused:
Bad mental picture. Thanks! :eek:

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The oil just absorbs faster than capsules, no biggie. I also like how it can go easy on salads, shakes, etc so you can always down it with something else if the taste makes you gag.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
doesnt matter when it is taken, right? (pre/post wo, mornings, etc)
I wouldn't take it pre-workout unless you wanna burp fishily over the other guys/girls at the gym. :D

There is a case for taking it post-workout (a small amount, say 5g) because of the anti-inflammatory effects and positive effect on insulin sensitivity.

otherwise, take it whenever