Global IT outage affecting almost everything

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe now companies will stop using Windows for enterprise/server needs...lmfao what clowns. You can keep a Linux server running for 15 years straight without needing to reboot.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I read an article today, that stats from Microsoft said that only 1% of computers/servers were effected. Amazing how such a global outage can be caused by so few computers.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Maybe now companies will stop using Windows for enterprise/server needs...lmfao what clowns. You can keep a Linux server running for 15 years straight without needing to reboot.
Unlikely. Windows is much more user friendly. Linux is CLI based which means you need someone with a lot of experience and knowledge to be able to effectively run them versus Windows servers with a GUI that is much more user friendly and doesn't require as much experience and knowledge.

Windows based servers are also much more easily integrated with the other Microsoft products that most of these companies are using as well.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unlikely. Windows is much more user friendly. Linux is CLI based which means you need someone with a lot of experience and knowledge to be able to effectively run them versus Windows servers with a GUI that is much more user friendly and doesn't require as much experience and knowledge.

Windows based servers are also much more easily integrated with the other Microsoft products that most of these companies are using as well.
I can't argue that second point since OSS is garbage and proprietary/enterprise Windows software is unquestionably better...

Is it really that hard to find qualified Linux sys/network admins though?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I can't argue that second point since OSS is garbage and proprietary/enterprise Windows software is unquestionably better...

Is it really that hard to find qualified Linux sys/network admins though?
If all those companies switched to Linux yeah they would be...

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Give me a UNIX kernel any day of the week. Linux has come a long way, a very long way - but I run a Mac m2pro, looking into a m3 ultra as soon as the pocketbook allows. More stable, more curated OS by far. BSOD’s are common in Winblows never had anything like it on MacOS, or Linux, even back when I was compiling my own kernels, leaving out all kinds of crap I didn’t need to make the kernel smaller and tons faster.

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Crazy just how vulnerable our global IT systems are and how they are so interlinked.

Everything from equity markets, hospitals and airlines are shut down as well as some banks and other places due to a bad update that was pushed out by Crowdstrike which is a global IT security company.

Willing to bet some people are jobless after that one...

Hans Gruber would be overjoyed today, to learn that he longer has to endure Theo's https://diehard.fandom.com/wiki/Theo obnoxiousness Anyone can f-ck up our computers now