Germany?

armybyrd

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive got orders to Germany in a few months. Does anyone have any experience with Germany and the girls there? How do they like American guys?

SBW

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dunno that much about American guys but as a Scot who has visited, lived and worked in Germany several times over the years, my experience is all good - In fact IME, the girls/women tend to be pretty straightforward and far less of a mindfu*k than the women I'm used to here. :)

As for the US personnel I've met on my travels, they seem to have have been pretty well accepted wherever I've met them socially - Berlin and Frankfurt mainly. Always absolute gents! :)

Black Dog

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I'm going to be a Senior, went there in the spring break of 8th grade so like....2007?

All I gotta say is that the German girls there are ****ing gorgeous

Other than that I couldnt give advice on how to run 'international' haha. Ehhh......hmm well in The Game they did it fine in English..

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I would say you can meet a lot of girls that are nice and pleasant and STILL pretty! Meaning there's actually girls that are hot without being b1tchy. At least compared to what I hear you have in the US. Can't say for sure tho.

What Germans think of Americans? To tell the truth, we think that you're a bunch of arrogant obsese dumb flag-swinging hobos. :)D :D :D)

Now while there might be some truth to that, don't take it too seriously. Germans are avid travellers, they love everything that is foreign. Girls will adore you. As long as you're nice and open-minded, you'll be okay. Don't try too much "PUA Game", girls won't appreciate it and also have trouble understanding your english ;)

The only mistake you can make: say you're proud of legally owning a gun. People will instantly brand you as idiot in their heads. I don't want to insult you, just telling you!

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want Germanish girls go to Santa Catarina, Brazil. For some reason they are much better than I ever saw in Germany itself. Over 5 million Germans immigrated to Santa Catarina. Second biggest Oktoberfest on earth (only Munichs is bigger) is in Blumenau, Brazil.

Great thing is that Americans don't visit this part of Brazil. They end up with the ugly girls in Rio. The people loved me in Santa Catarina!!

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I met a German girl at a party a few months ago who looked damn good. Found out she was my friend/host's girl so I kept my distance, but lucky guy is traveling back to Germany with her for a year. I know they can cook!

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I will be backpacking Europe in summer 2011 and may spend time in Berlin because I have German heritage. Apparently a huge factor in traveling overseas is to not be the typical loud, obnoxious, culturally oblivious American tourist. Stupid things which Americans do, include: shirts with American flags, shirts with the names of their previous destinations, baseball caps, white tennis shoes, fanny packs (which has a different connotation than European usage), cameras on their chest, talking loud, asking complex questions to someone who barely knows a lick of English, condescendingly talking down to someone who does know English, "America is #1!", "America does X better than you." Teh stupid burns. You know the phrase, "When in Rome..."

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ spot on man.

I'm from Norway, and I spent 2 years in Australia where I shared an apartment with some american fratboys. We had a ****ing blast, but what bugged me was that everytime we were at a pub / bar with a jukebox, the fratboys always had to put on "Born in the USA" and yell out "born in the usa..." everytime that part of the lyrics came on. Nevermind that it's a song about how ****ed up America was during the Vietnam war, these guys thought it was a song about how great America is /was. They thought they rocked, but everybody else was facepalming.

So yeah, stay away from that kind of behaviour and you'll be fine.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, when you go out to the clubs don't go with a bunch of guys, just two or three others at the max. When I was living in Germany there was a British base down the road and they were known for causing trouble in the clubs. Needless to say this made it harder to get into some clubs even though I am an American. Lots of American guys rolling into a club will make the bouncers nervous. At least where I was living.

Captain Nemo

Reaction score
Time to delurk because I'm not liking what I'm reading in this thread.

To the OP, young man, you are PCSing to GERMANY! GERMANY! You are going to spend the next several years in EUROPE! (unless this is TDY)

Your flight to and from the continent, room and board will all be paid for by Uncle Sam. And you'll be protected from German laws by the SOFA agreement (not that you'll be breaking any laws, but it's nice to know).

The next few years should be devoted to TRAVEL, not women.

The opportunities for you to travel while there are almost limitless!

Females should be VERY low on your list of priorities while you're over there. The women, whether here stateside or over there, will always be around...but...you will not always be in Europe.

Travel young man! See everything you possibly can while you're over there. Sure, you might get back to Europe later in your military career, or after you retire...but what if you don't ?

Take advantage of this opportunity NOW!

While you are still stateside:

1. Buy a good quality map of Europe and another one of just Germany. Start picking out places to visit. Cities, battlefields, monuments, whatever. Make a prioritized list and keep the maps and list with your PCS stuff.

2. Get a passport! (unless you already have one). This will allow you to better blend in while travelling (better than having to show military ID and leave/pass papers).

3. Buy a German phrase book and a German/English dictionary. Make sure the phrase book has an example of a train schedule. Look at the book and go online and learn how to read the train schedule. Germany has a tremendous public transportation system, and you can get just about anywhere on the continent by train.

4. Make sure you have a good quality briefcase or planner/binder to store all your PCS stuff. Keep extra copies of your orders, clearing papers, shot records and medical records in your luggage. Shot records are vital if you end up deploying somewhere else.

Once you arrive in country:

1. Get the civilian telephone numbers for your unit CQ, battaltion and brigade Staff Duty, MP station, and the American Embassies in Germany. Put them all on a piece of paper and make a copy of it. Laminate them both and keep one in your wallet and the other with your travel bag (the one you'll take with you when you are out and about in Europe).

2. Go to the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation office on post and get trip and travel flyers for everyplace on the list you made stateside. If they don't have a flyer then ask the staff for help in planning a trip. Make the staff there your friends.

3. Buy a quality overnight bag at the PX. Go with a small rucksack design, but one that is CIVILIAN. You don't want to attract attention while you are out. This is the main bag you will use when travelling on the continent. Keep a small survival kit in there: first aid items, pain reliever, Rolaids and Pepto Bismol, a sewing kit, duct tape, candy or treats and a lighter if you smoke.

4. Don't get caught up with the Barracks Rat crowd. These are guys who spend their tour 80% on post and 20% off post at a crappy, loud, smoke filled bar. And they're drunk almost 100% of the time. And don't buy a $3,000 stereo system either, use that money to travel.

5. Kick ass while you're on duty. Be Soldier of the Month every single duty day. This will better your chances of taking regular 3 day or even 4 day passes. And if you can't take many passes, then use your accrued leave. Yes, use your leave days, screw going home mid-tour. Stay there and TRAVEL.

6. Eat in the chow hall if you have a meal card. Pay only for the amazing food you can get off post in every single country you'll visit.

7. German Beer. German Beer is the best beer in the world. All other "beer" should be properly reclassifed as piss-poor colored water when compared to German Beer. Enjoy it, but don't become an alcoholic.

8. Bicycles. Europe is very bike friendly. You can even take it with you on the train. Consider buying a good mountain or touring bike from the PX. Ride your bike around the general area you are stationed if you don't want to go too far.

9. Camera. If you don't already have a good digital camera then buy one. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. My one major regret was not taking more pictures, a LOT more pictures. I have many treasured memories of Europe, but I wish I had the pictures to prove them.

10. Volksmarching. Do as many as you can. If you don't buy a bike then use your "down" weekends to go Volksmarching. You should find people in your unit who regularly go to them (it's like a drug for some people, but a very healthy drug). I guarantee you'll find some friends to walk with, and you'll have fun.

Alibi Rounds - ask your First Sergeant about qualifying for the Schuetzenshnur. That's the German Army marksmanship badge. Most Army units should have a partnership with a local German Army unit. You go out and qualify with each other's weapons and you can wear the badge on your Class A uniform.

If you bank stateside check and see if they have a branch in Europe. If not ask if they have any special programs for active duty military.

If you haven't been overseas before then start thinking now about what you are going to take in your luggage, what you are going to ship overseas to join you at your unit, and what you will put in storage until you return stateside.

Make sure your SGLI is up to date.

That's enough, but PLEASE take my advice: put the women on a very low priority while you're there and spend as much time and money as you can TRAVELLING!

Good luck.