Gaining crazy weight, WTF?

J.O

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm rather skinny, but in the last few months i've been eating a lot.

Now here's the crazy part. For the last 5 days I have gained 2.0-2.5 Lb EACH day. My current weight is now 156.5 LB. I hope to go on like this, but I have absoloutly no idea of what is causing this.

My diet isn't real organised, but I do drink a lot of water, 6 L a day & 1-2 L of milk. I don't workout at the moment. I'm 15 by the way, so it might be because I'm growing, but im already 6'1.

Is there any downsides of this quick weight gaining?

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not lean weight or fat you are gaining in any large amount it's probably water which is retained because of more glykogen storage. It will stop soon.

Downside of eating alot and not training. I think you can figure that one out yourself :D

J.O

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeforce
It's not lean weight or fat you are gaining in any large amount it's probably water which is retained because of more glykogen storage. It will stop soon.

Downside of eating alot and not training. I think you can figure that one out yourself :D
I followed your supereating guide back in time. dood I getz teh weight!

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice man.. but I think you're confusing me with double :)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're 15 then you're still growing, plus water retention as Lifeforce suggested.. once you're 18 things should settle down somewhat, but you still grow into your early 20s.

And no, there's no downside because next week you might've lost those 10lbs .. weight fluctuates crazily when you're growing, plus the other factors.

Chill out bro, nothing to worry about!

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by J.O
Hey guys. I'm rather skinny, but in the last few months i've been eating a lot.

Now here's the crazy part. For the last 5 days I have gained 2.0-2.5 Lb EACH day. My current weight is now 156.5 LB. I hope to go on like this, but I have absoloutly no idea of what is causing this.

My diet isn't real organised, but I do drink a lot of water, 6 L a day & 1-2 L of milk. I don't workout at the moment. I'm 15 by the way, so it might be because I'm growing, but im already 6'1.

Is there any downsides of this quick weight gaining?
you will be sitting on the ****ter a lot the next few dayts, that happnes to me when i start a bulk

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Me thinks it's a combination of newbie gain, some fat gain, and water retention caused by something like eating high sodium content foods.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
be careful, it happened to me some months ago, but then a bad attack of diarrhea took all the weight away in a couple of days (i got from 68kgs to 60kg, that is about a 17lbs loss in 2 FU'CKIN DAYS!)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
be careful, it happened to me some months ago, but then a bad attack of diarrhea took all the weight away in a couple of days (i got from 68kgs to 60kg, that is about a 17lbs loss in 2 FU'CKIN DAYS!)
Then it was only temporary weight anyway, get real mate.

You'll be telling you'll lose muscle mass through p!ssing next.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Then it was only temporary weight anyway, get real mate.

You'll be telling you'll lose muscle mass through p!ssing next.
i know it was water weight and not muscles, man, that's why i'll be off creatine for another month and then i'll go light with it

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's not pure creatine, i used to eat protein bars with 3 grams of creatine and some glutamine

do you think it was harmful?

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
17 and they use creatine .. I despair sometimes.
Thats what is wrong with this forum. People are so eager to prove the extent of their knowledge (or, most usually, lack thereof) that they end up writing a whole bunch of crap about these supplements and those supplements, and this 5 day split and that 8 week cutting cycle.

The result is kids read it and think it's necessary. It's not. Most of it is bull****. I'd never heard of protein supplements or creatine when I was a teenager. If I wanted to up my protein I'd ask the old girl for seconds at meal time... now we've got 17 yr olds with the internet and egos who can find out everything they need to know about a supplement except when it is necessary to use it.

It's pitiful. They're victims, really. The marketing machine, combined with misinformation posted daily on forums such as this, has ensured kids are wasting hard earned cash on rare and exotic supplements when they should be spending it on going to cinemas with mates, buying tents and fishing rods, bicycles and surfboards... using it to enjoy life in general, rather than some magic snake oil that will only provide them with the nutrients that any decent meal would.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent post mate, couldn't agree more. Marketing is mostly at fault, but the media too .. they throw pictures of either ripped or buff guys all over the place, a kid gets it into his head that he HAS to look like that to be 'in', to have fun.. when most of the time, the models are genetically gifted far beyond the reach of mere mortals.

This "I have to get ripped to get laid" attitude, which is slathered all over this forum in big ladlefuls is just more idiocy. Fifteen years ago, when we didn't have posters of Brad Pitt or whoever plays Ally McBeal (since girls are just as guilty, trying to starve themselves in an attempt to look like that anorexic bint) all over the TV, cinema, internet, etc, people didn't behave like this.

The sports supplements industries have boomed because of this, marketing taking advantage of peoples' physical insecurities and as a result the supplement industry in the US is a huge economic component. As a result, every guy and his dog is using whey, glutamine, amino acids, BCAAs, creatine and all that, using them all incorrectly and wasting both their own and their parents' money.

Hell, some guy in a thread here posted that whey is giving him the 'best pumps eva' - which is absolute twaddle but watch other kids ask him what brand he got and how much does he use.

But even before we start on the supplements (and god forbid, the drugs), consider that hardly anyone has any basic nutritional knowledge, which if they had, they'd be making a helluva lot better gains than they are now just because they're eating properly for a change.

Spending your money on creatine and the like is all well and good if you're serious-minded about working out, but it has no place in your intake if your basic diet is ****.

Another thing these kids forget is that they're 15, 16, 17, they haven't stopped GROWING UP yet. Their bodies haven't reached a stage of development where they'll be receptive to stuff like creatine and progressively heavier lifting to grow some serious muscle.

I'm not against anyone working out, it's a healthy and enjoyable hobby/sport but like you say Manuva, 90% of the people on here SHOULD have other priorities, like enjoying themselves and developing healthily (and getting a good education), and learning AS MUCH AS THEY CAN as concerns how the body works and nutrition.

I regret posting a lot of the stuff that I did here, it's obvious most of these guys a) don't listen and b) won't listen, and will continue taking every supplement under the sun and eating veg once a week.

Then again, you've got to remember these aren't serious sports forums, these are the DJ forums where getting women is the goal.. which itself, is a screwed up goal. The right woman will come along, regardless of whether you've got 20" guns or not, and THAT'S when you'll realise that all this stuff is so stupid and unnecessary ..

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I gotta give you a little of my take on supps Warboss.

First time I ever bought a Supp was freshman year of college, whey protein. I bought a little 2 lb jug, and I'd take a scoop postworkout. I'd already lifted for a year in HS, and my bench max went up something like 60lbs in that time. I found that I was less sore the day after if I popped that scoop of whey. I thought that was cool.

I tried a cutting cycle a year later (read... lifting for 2 years now). I bought some more supps at the beginning of it because I was going by DIESEL's reccomendation (which ended up w/ me losing some muscle mass :p). Here's what I found tho, dropping a few $$... not a lot mind you, maybe 20 -40 dollars... it really made me get an INVESTMENT in my workouts. I became more tied to keeping my diet in check, and hitting the gym, and not drinking or partying. My mind was thinking "you went out and spent this money, now don't waste it you retard."

In that respect, I appreciate how just buying a few once in a while can give me certain effects, while keeping to good habits for a while.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, some proper pwo nutrition may have helped with the soreness and helped your muscles out some, but I can't accept that that solitary scoop of whey, that extra 20g protein made such a huge difference to your bench - possibly it was psychological and if so then cool, it helped. But do you honestly believe your bench WOULDN'T have gone up if you hadn't taken the whey?

In any case mate, you're 21, you've finished or are finishing college, you're mature and can make decisions for yourself, with a little more maturity than people here who're 15 or 16 and expect 2" on their biceps after two weeks' working out, or, even worse, believe that creatine, tribulus, whatever the hell will get them there, and they think that because of the marketing, the media, and all that.

I'm not against supplements or even steroids, but if your basic workout scheme and diet is crap then you're just wasting your time, enthusiasm and money.

That said, if I could afford enough solid food to get my protein requirement in day in, day out, I'd keep whey only for post-workout (and maybe not even then). Manuva said it perfectly, nutrient-wise there's nothing we can't source from solid food and that's where we SHOULD source as much food as possible from.

Okay, if you're pushing 500-600g of protein a day you'll find protein drinks more or less essential .. but who on this board needs that much?

(TO GET TWO INCHES ON YOUR ARMS YOU NEED TWO YEARS OF PROGRESSIVE WORK, AND THAT'S INCLUDING NEWBIE GAINS - genetics may make this time less or more.)

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hahha... sorry for the confusion bro. The gains on my bench were from newbie gains... the lack of soreness was a slight psychological/actual perceived difference....

more to the point was the fact that I found my stingy side would help me keep to my plans if I dropped a little investment in it. I'm not saying to drop hundreds or anything, but it was one thing I found for me.

I do want to emphasize however, I didn't take a single supp till I was like 19, and I had a year and a half of lifting under my belt already. It wasn't good lifting, it wasn't good diet... hell, I didn't know crap about either of those.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by manuva

It's pitiful. They're victims, really. The marketing machine, combined with misinformation posted daily on forums such as this, has ensured kids are wasting hard earned cash on rare and exotic supplements when they should be spending it on going to cinemas with mates, buying tents and fishing rods, bicycles and surfboards... using it to enjoy life in general, rather than some magic snake oil that will only provide them with the nutrients that any decent meal would.

i think you're a bit too paranoid, man. i used creatine and protein supplements for a couple of months last spring and i didn't ruin or waste my life at all... i was going out more than everyone else in my class, i had a beautiful girlfriend, i was playing sports every other day, i was a pro with my mountain bike and my grades were far above average... i don't know if you define this as wasting my life, but if you do, tell me how you'd spend yours in a better way, before giving judjments

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
i think you're a bit too paranoid, man. i used creatine and protein supplements for a couple of months last spring and i didn't ruin or waste my life at all... i was going out more than everyone else in my class, i had a beautiful girlfriend, i was playing sports every other day, i was a pro with my mountain bike and my grades were far above average... i don't know if you define this as wasting my life, but if you do, tell me how you'd spend yours in a better way, before giving judjments
I didn't say supplements would ruin your life. I said, at your age, they're a waste of your money. My suggestion was that instead of spending money on supplements your body doesn't need, you should spend that money on things that will actually increase your quality of life - things like fishing and surfing and riding bikes and movies with friends and thousands of other things that will actually benefit you instead of acting as a placebo.