First reality shock

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just game back from the gym. This is probably close to the 15/24th session originally purchased, and close to the 15/53 sessions that I have.

After doing 15 sessions, my weight is reduced by 0 lbs. Big fat goose egg.
I am going to have to check my Body Mass Index. Now, before you all laugh at me (it's okay, I'd probably do the same if I were you), I have not checked the percentages of lean muscle mass to body fat. Prior to working out it was about 32% (some readings up to 35%). If this number is 25% or lower, then I'll be encouraged.

If it's between 26-29%, I may not be very happy with this, but it will show some movement in the right direction.

If it's above 30% then I have to cancel the rest of the training sessions. Honestly, 50 sessions at that rate, or even 100 won't get me a decent looking body which makes the "incompetency" theory gain some traction here.

I will be focusing on testing for this tommorow as well as seeing the Chinese doctor. If I can't lose weight, and if it still mainly fat, then it's probably a herbal remedy for this.

I also paid money for a Nutritionist (diet consultant) $ 250 and this P.T. and the results since I've started a couple of months ago is 0 lbs of weight loss. (There was no weight gain). So if the PT says it's diet or wants to get this nutirionist on board again, I'll have to cancel this. Herbal Magic got solid results for weight loss but it made my whole body look skinny and weak where instead of looking sexy, people say I need to eat which is not really nice so that option is out.

don't

Don Juan
Reaction score
go to library, get one of DR Atkin's books and learn what to eat and not eat, get the necessary supplements to suppress the carb cravings. You can't expect to burn off the 4000 calories a day that you are probably ingesting. Also, get Tim Ferris's book at your library, THE FOUR HOUR BODY, it is the real deal, dude.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to break this down for you very simply. Forget the lifting and what you are doing in the gym for a second. Losing weight is about mostly what you are doing outside the gym. There is no such thing as "I can't lose weight", only merely that you are allowing your hormones to control you instead of you controlling your hormones.

You are insulin resistant and produce too much insulin. Insulin is a storage hormone. It is produced by the body in response to certain foods(mostly carbohydrates) and the level of blood sugar in the body. The higher the level of blood sugar, the more insulin needs to be produced by the body to get the glucose into the cells. When you are insulin resistant, the insulin doesn't work as well as it normally does, so more has to be produced and it takes longer for it to get the glucose into the cells. While insulin is active in your body, you CANNOT burn fat, and will, in fact store fat if the length of time the insulin is in your system and the amount of insulin is above a certain level(this varies with each peron). The answer for people who are insulin sensitive(myself included) is then to learn how to control insulin and to make the body less resistant to it. This can be accomplished in various ways:

1) Things such as: Cinnamon, R-ALA, and Bitter Melon all create much better insulin sensitivity in the body through various mechanisms. The easiest is obviously to go to the supermarket and spend $1.50 on a large cinnamon container. Every time you eat a carb source, take a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with it. This will help increase the bodies insulin sensitivity up to 20 times normal because cinnamon is an insulin mimetic, as it has a chemical structure very similar to insulin, which allows the body to accomplish the same thing as it normally would need much more insulin to accomplish.

2) Intermittant Fasting: Don't eat for 16 hours a day, then eat 3 larger meals within an 8 hour period. IF has numerous health benefits, one of which is making the body much more insulin sensitive.

3) Eat carbs ONLY within 4 hours before and 2 hours after a workout. You don't get bonus points for eating carbs all day when you are insulin resistant, you simply get fat. The more times insulin gets spiked every day, the more time your body spends in fat storing mode, and the less time your body can actually burn fat.

4) Do NOT eat any type of carb for your first meal in the morning, as doing so will make the body LESS insulin sensitive for the remainder of the day(not a good thing). Start the day with protein, fat and veggies every day. Eggs are a good choice.

5) Choose Low GI carbs instead of high GI carbs, EXCEPT directly after a workout. GI stands for Glycemic Index, which measures the insulin response of the body when you eat certain foods. The higher the index, the faster the carb breaks down in the body and the more insulin needs to be released to deal with it(insulin spike). This is bad news, except after a workout, when you want the insulin spike to drive the nutrients into the muscle. Low GI carbs break down very slowly which keeps blood sugar level and insulin levels low, even lower when you combine low GI carbs and cinnamon together. The only carbs you should be eating on a regular basis are yams(not sweet potatoes), oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, lentils and fruits and vegetables. Milk is also low GI although I would recommend sticking to skim milk.

6) NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine fats and carbs together at ANY time unless you want to gain fat. Remember, insulin is a storage hormone, and you my friend, will store that fat you intake as fat if insulin is present. Protein and fat together is fine. Protein and carbs together is fine. Carbs and Fat is a humongous no-no.

7) Eat 6 to 7 small meals a day, but make sure carbs/protein are eaten only for the 2 meals before a workout and the meal directly after the workout. All other meals should be protein/fat or just protein.

8) You need to be in a slight caloric deficit to lose weight(250-400 calories per day), then create a bigger energy deficit to drop the weight faster. Creating too much of a caloric deficit leads to the body slowing down the metabolism, which leads to lower leptin levels and the body slowing down the fat burning process. Figure out your caloric maintenance level and then subtract 250-400 calories from it. This is what you should be taking in each day calorie wise, and I would start at 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, it actually helps you burn fat, high glycemic carbs make you fat. Choose Olive oil or coconut oil for your fat, as it also boosts testosterone levels as well.

9) Have a cheat day once a week and eat whatever you want, as much as you want. It resets leptin levels, raises your metabolic rate and primes the body to burn fat optimally for the next 6 days. In 6 days of dieting, your body will have its leptin level cut in half, leading to you burning fat at 50% of your potential rate. By having a high carb, high fat cheat day, you will reset leptin levels in 12 hours to get the body ready to burn fat optimally the rest of the week. Don't overanalyze this, this is how the body works, embrace it and your body will do what you want it to.

10) Get the following supplements and create a mega fat burning stack: 7-keto(100 mg twice a day, 8 hours apart), forskolin(125 mg at 20% or 250mg at 20% extract once a day in the morning) and green coffee bean extract(400mg twice a day with meals). 7-keto raises the metabolic rate, transitioning the body from storing fat to building lean muscle. It has been shown to even increase the metabolic rate when in a caloric deficit, whereas the control group actually had their metabolic rate drop by 5%. Forskolin increases the cAMP levels in the body drastically leading to increased fat usage, and also directly acts on the leydig cells in the testicles leading to increased testosterone, increased seminal volume and increased ejaculation force. I would recommend it for those reasons alone, but it also boosts fat burning in the body. Green coffee bean extract shuts off the enzymes that use glucose as an energy source in the liver and turns on the enzymes that use fat as an energy source in the liver. You will lose fat at a rate you thought was impossible.

It took me many years to find out and learn these things to effectively make my body do whatever I want it to do at any given time. If I want to bulk, I can pile on muscle. If I want to lose fat, I can drop it at will. I just gave you what took me 20+ years to learn and apply for free with you having done no work on your part.

Either do it and get the results or don't do it and continue to complain, the choice is yours. You have no excuses anymore, you have all the knowledge you need to drop weight at will. It now rests on you. If you try and tell me you are doing exactly what I have laid out and you are still not losing weight, you are a liar, plain and simple.

No excuses bro, just results.

yungpadawan

Don Juan
Reaction score
bro, read the bodybuilding forums thread on how to lose fat for noobs. There's only 3 essential things you need to do to lose fat.

1. Eat at least 1 gram of protein per lean body mass.
2. Lift at least 3 times a week
3. Calculate your daily calorie expenditure and ate below that.

Just hit your macros.
I.e. if you hit your protein goal and have 800 calories left, you can eat ice cream and lose weight although you might have problems long term with not getting enough micro nutrients.

2 things I've learned that help is to track your calories using myfitnesspal.com or any other site and doing whole body lifts instead of bicep curls. good luck mate.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
You are insulin resistant and produce too much insulin. Insulin is a storage hormone.
I have been blood tested since April and I can tell you there has been no issues with pre-diebetes, diebetes or insuline resistance. The blood test was a perfect positive - no issues at all.

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
Ok, I am going to break this down for you very simply. Forget the lifting and what you are doing in the gym for a second. Losing weight is about mostly what you are doing outside the gym. There is no such thing as "I can't lose weight", only merely that you are allowing your hormones to control you instead of you controlling your hormones.

You are insulin resistant and produce too much insulin. Insulin is a storage hormone. It is produced by the body in response to certain foods(mostly carbohydrates) and the level of blood sugar in the body. The higher the level of blood sugar, the more insulin needs to be produced by the body to get the glucose into the cells. When you are insulin resistant, the insulin doesn't work as well as it normally does, so more has to be produced and it takes longer for it to get the glucose into the cells. While insulin is active in your body, you CANNOT burn fat, and will, in fact store fat if the length of time the insulin is in your system and the amount of insulin is above a certain level(this varies with each peron). The answer for people who are insulin sensitive(myself included) is then to learn how to control insulin and to make the body less resistant to it. This can be accomplished in various ways:

1) Things such as: Cinnamon, R-ALA, and Bitter Melon all create much better insulin sensitivity in the body through various mechanisms. The easiest is obviously to go to the supermarket and spend $1.50 on a large cinnamon container. Every time you eat a carb source, take a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with it. This will help increase the bodies insulin sensitivity up to 20 times normal because cinnamon is an insulin mimetic, as it has a chemical structure very similar to insulin, which allows the body to accomplish the same thing as it normally would need much more insulin to accomplish.

2) Intermittant Fasting: Don't eat for 16 hours a day, then eat 3 larger meals within an 8 hour period. IF has numerous health benefits, one of which is making the body much more insulin sensitive.

3) Eat carbs ONLY within 4 hours before and 2 hours after a workout. You don't get bonus points for eating carbs all day when you are insulin resistant, you simply get fat. The more times insulin gets spiked every day, the more time your body spends in fat storing mode, and the less time your body can actually burn fat.

4) Do NOT eat any type of carb for your first meal in the morning, as doing so will make the body LESS insulin sensitive for the remainder of the day(not a good thing). Start the day with protein, fat and veggies every day. Eggs are a good choice.

5) Choose Low GI carbs instead of high GI carbs, EXCEPT directly after a workout. GI stands for Glycemic Index, which measures the insulin response of the body when you eat certain foods. The higher the index, the faster the carb breaks down in the body and the more insulin needs to be released to deal with it(insulin spike). This is bad news, except after a workout, when you want the insulin spike to drive the nutrients into the muscle. Low GI carbs break down very slowly which keeps blood sugar level and insulin levels low, even lower when you combine low GI carbs and cinnamon together. The only carbs you should be eating on a regular basis are yams(not sweet potatoes), oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, lentils and fruits and vegetables. Milk is also low GI although I would recommend sticking to skim milk.

6) NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine fats and carbs together at ANY time unless you want to gain fat. Remember, insulin is a storage hormone, and you my friend, will store that fat you intake as fat if insulin is present. Protein and fat together is fine. Protein and carbs together is fine. Carbs and Fat is a humongous no-no.

7) Eat 6 to 7 small meals a day, but make sure carbs/protein are eaten only for the 2 meals before a workout and the meal directly after the workout. All other meals should be protein/fat or just protein.

8) You need to be in a slight caloric deficit to lose weight(250-400 calories per day), then create a bigger energy deficit to drop the weight faster. Creating too much of a caloric deficit leads to the body slowing down the metabolism, which leads to lower leptin levels and the body slowing down the fat burning process. Figure out your caloric maintenance level and then subtract 250-400 calories from it. This is what you should be taking in each day calorie wise, and I would start at 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, it actually helps you burn fat, high glycemic carbs make you fat. Choose Olive oil or coconut oil for your fat, as it also boosts testosterone levels as well.

9) Have a cheat day once a week and eat whatever you want, as much as you want. It resets leptin levels, raises your metabolic rate and primes the body to burn fat optimally for the next 6 days. In 6 days of dieting, your body will have its leptin level cut in half, leading to you burning fat at 50% of your potential rate. By having a high carb, high fat cheat day, you will reset leptin levels in 12 hours to get the body ready to burn fat optimally the rest of the week. Don't overanalyze this, this is how the body works, embrace it and your body will do what you want it to.

10) Get the following supplements and create a mega fat burning stack: 7-keto(100 mg twice a day, 8 hours apart), forskolin(125 mg at 20% or 250mg at 20% extract once a day in the morning) and green coffee bean extract(400mg twice a day with meals). 7-keto raises the metabolic rate, transitioning the body from storing fat to building lean muscle. It has been shown to even increase the metabolic rate when in a caloric deficit, whereas the control group actually had their metabolic rate drop by 5%. Forskolin increases the cAMP levels in the body drastically leading to increased fat usage, and also directly acts on the leydig cells in the testicles leading to increased testosterone, increased seminal volume and increased ejaculation force. I would recommend it for those reasons alone, but it also boosts fat burning in the body. Green coffee bean extract shuts off the enzymes that use glucose as an energy source in the liver and turns on the enzymes that use fat as an energy source in the liver. You will lose fat at a rate you thought was impossible.

It took me many years to find out and learn these things to effectively make my body do whatever I want it to do at any given time. If I want to bulk, I can pile on muscle. If I want to lose fat, I can drop it at will. I just gave you what took me 20+ years to learn and apply for free with you having done no work on your part.

Either do it and get the results or don't do it and continue to complain, the choice is yours. You have no excuses anymore, you have all the knowledge you need to drop weight at will. It now rests on you. If you try and tell me you are doing exactly what I have laid out and you are still not losing weight, you are a liar, plain and simple.

No excuses bro, just results.
Yo dog, that's the gr8est post ever written.

No joke dude, I'm close to tears.

You pretty much summarised everything perfectly.

Didn't miss a single thing.

That post is absolute gold, and if the OP had any sense, he'd print it out and f*cking memorize it.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with all but 6,7 and 10.
6) I've found negligible benefits from this
7) Not needed, especially with intermittent fasting
10) Unfamiliar with these substances, found little scientific proof too

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Scientific proof is over-rated.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be facetious, that's just my genuine opinion.

Why? Because the premise of scientific proof is to control for all variables so you can isolate specific cause and effect.

But that's just not the way reality works. For starters, there are just soooo many subtle different indistinguishable influences at work in every aspect of life that its impossible to control for them all.

But more importantly, I mean the greatest contribution to science in the 20th imo was the discovery by Quantum Physics researchers that whatever outcome the observers of an experiment expected to occur determined what the outcome would be.

This is astounding. Same experiment, but if the researchers expected to find waves, they'd find waves. If the researchers expected to find particles, they found particles.

So what really was cause and effect? Was the researcher's expectation a "cause"? How could it be?

We just don't know. There is still so much that we just don't know.

Which is why I think its ludicrous to refuse to try something because there is no "scientific proof", that's just such a load of sh1t.

In my opinion, personal experience is the most valuable tool for knowledge acquisition and evaluation, and if one of my bro's says "Hey, I tried this supp and it worked wonders for me", I'm not going to nay-say him and be all like "er.. nerb... actually, the science isn't conclusive... herp, derp..."

I'm gonna be like "fark yeah dude, I wanna try it too! Maybe it will work for me as well... only one way to find out!!!"

bukowski_merit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marmel... You have some heavy broscience mixed with some scientific stuff.... People like Alan Arragon and Lyle Mcdonald disagree with plenty of that. (aka: people who spend all day looking at scientific studies relevant to the weight lifting community would disagree on just about everything you wrote.) Some of these look like you pulled them from some outdated diet/boydbuilding book.

marmel75 said:

GI is largely irrelevant to someone who isn't diabetic.

http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

It can help in controlling hunger, but unless the OP has issues with overeating - that doesn't matter much.

marmel75 said:
This is straight up horsesh!t.

Not combining Carbs and Fats is just a form of calorie restriction; which means the only way it would work is because it has the dieter eating less calories.

http://www.alanaragon.com/bodybuilding-nutrition-roundtable-alan-aragon-will-brink-jamie-hale-layne-norton.html

A Aragon said:
I think that the “P+C & P+F = okay but avoid C+F” principle is idiotic when applied across the board without any contingencies or attention to individual situations. For example, if someone is low-carbing for whatever reason you choose (pathological carbophobia included), they might be done with their carb intake by early afternoon, and their meal construction for the rest of the day is gonna be primarily P+F by sheer default. In the latter scenario, I can see the principle being legit. However, when issued blanketly, it’s usually based upon the wacky idea that you don’t want fat floating around systemically when your insulin levels are high, because this will magically shift your net adipose balance in the positive. That’s false for a number of reasons. First of all, the insulin response generated by CHO + fat generally depends upon the degree of the fat’s saturation. Unsaturated fats tend to either lower insulin response of the coingested carbs, or not affect insulin response at all. Coingested sat fat, on the other hand, tends to raise insulin response, and can do so in a synergistic fashion. But then the question becomes, so what? Others have mentioned the more direct role ASP has in TG synthesis, and indeed, insulin is more of a multi-tasking anabolic/anticatabolic agent in comparison to ASP, which seems to exist solely to pump up the adipocytes. And of course the kicker is that ASP can do its TG-synthesizing magic in the sheer absence of insulin.

And then there’s energy balance… In a negative energy balance, insulinogenesis is wonderful thing, as long as the training stimulus & nutrition is there to work in concert with it to preserve LBM. In the condition of a positive energy balance, trainees in general are gonna have a lot more carbs to throw around, so this makes the whole separation thing even more dicey. Which meals should be carb-free or fat-free in order to pull of this magic separation tactic, and why? The logical answers to this question simply don’t exist. If you were to actually adhere to the mechanics of separation, you’d actually be hard-pressed to maintain a stable insulin profile – which is ironic, since the control of insulin is what “separatists” are aiming for. Regardless of all the previous points, the fundamental shortsight is that digestion/absorption of meals overlap each other when meal frequency is as high as it should be. Therefore, attempting strict separation of the macros = kidding yourself. Not to mention, most foods in nature are a combo of all the macros to begin with.
Here's a whole discussion on it: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1585&highlight=food+combining

marmel75 said:
7) Eat 6 to 7 small meals a day, but make sure carbs/protein are eaten only for the 2 meals before a workout and the meal directly after the workout. All other meals should be protein/fat or just protein
This one can go any way depending on what each person is comfortable with. A lot of people who take in TONS of calories, find it easier if they spread it out like this. A lot of people on diets - find it easier to diet if they know they'll be eating again in a few hours. But it is NOT necessary if you have self-control and can control your proportions. But to just say this is a rule is - - - Silly.

Are you in a time machine in 2008? Have you not touched a bodybuilding message board in the last year or so, since Broscience has taken a nose dive and replaced with people who actually read pubmed?

Even though you endorsed IF earlier - you are still suggesting this done? Doesn't make sense; seems like you're half informed.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

---

The rest of what you wrote is "ok" but you still have some strange beliefs mixed in with the good stuff.

What you wrote for 8, about being on a caloric deficit is really the most important thing for the OP to take in. If he's not losing/gaining weight - it's because he's still eating on par with the energy he's using throughout the day. All this other stuff is more or less irrelevant. The other important factor is getting adequate protein intake....

Reduce your daily calories and keep a food journal to help with this. There's calculators out there that can tell you what you should be eating to lose weight, but you'll have to use some trial and error; which is why keeping a food journal will help.

MyFitnessPal.com is an amazing source to help you do this. They'll both make the calculations for you; tell you how long it should take you; and you can keep a food journal there without having to figure out/track/write down macros yourself.

If you can't keep a Food journal every day, every time you eat - then.... what kind of dedication do you really have?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/is-a-calorie-a-calorie.html

Last edited:

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Went to the gym just now to check my stats:

As I thought this is a scam. I have lost 0 lbs of weight, and worst yet 0 lbs of fat, and gained 0 lbs of muscle weight after about 4 nutrition diet counselling sessions I paid for and 15-16 personal training sessions.

That is 250 lbs at 32% body-fat before I started, and after about a few months of this, EXACTLY the same. It has to be Cadillac syndrome as to why I allowed it to go this far.

Time to collapse the gym contract.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends who you believe then. If you disagree with this, then you disagree with Ben Pakulski, who is absolutely psychotic when it comes to studies, research and knowledge of such things. He also happens to have just finished 4th in the Arnold Classic. John Romaniello, Elliott Hulse, Vince Gironda(father of modern bodybuilding) and Rob Regish who likely has done as much research and reading as anyone possibly could all base their highly effective training regimens around those principles. Why? Because they work. I don't do broscience as I have said before. I only talk about what I know works based on my experiences, much of which was done after reading and researching various topics. For you to say high GI and low GI foods don't matter is an utterly ridiculous statement.
Try eating yams versus white bread and see what happens over a month period.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
corrector said:
I have been blood tested since April and I can tell you there has been no issues with pre-diebetes, diebetes or insuline resistance. The blood test was a perfect positive - no issues at all.
Fat storage is an indication your body does not handle glucose properly, period

bukowski_merit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
Depends who you believe then. If you disagree with this, then you disagree with Ben Pakulski, who is absolutely psychotic when it comes to studies, research and knowledge of such things.

He also happens to have just finished 4th in the Arnold Classic.
He also happens to be on steroids....

I'm not sure why anyone would want to take bodybuilding advice from the professionals who aren't on the natural circuit (unless they themselves were on steroids.) Their diets and even the way they train are able to be done a lot different due to the enhancements.

Part of the reason for the meal frequency myth is that a lot of bodybuilders (especially big ones on gear) eat TONS of calories. TONS! They would have to have the eating capabilities of a professional eater to do that in only a few meals. So they spread it out. That makes total sense. It also makes sense if you're a compulsive over eater.

But it has no significant metabolic effect.

marmel75 said:
John Romaniello, Elliott Hulse, Vince Gironda(father of modern bodybuilding) and Rob Regish who likely has done as much research and reading as anyone possibly could all base their highly effective training regimens around those principles.
About 90% of fad diets also follow those rules in 1 way or another. And in almost all cases (when they work) they work for 2 reasons:

1) They get the person focused with a clear goal (which is better than winging it or reading a few articles).

2) They restrict calories in some way. For example - atkins can work simply by restricting 70% of a grocery store! Most bad things you can eat are carb based; so yeah.... cutting 70% of a grocery store, and most possibly junk food out of a diet - will work.

Calorie restriction (with adequate protein intake) is mostly what matters on a diet.... All else is minor at best.

marmel75 said:
I don't do broscience as I have said before. I only talk about what I know works based on my experiences,
You just defined broscience (giving advice based on experience; which is often heard from other people who heard it from other people.) How do you know that if you turned those 6-7 meals into 1-2 meals - you wouldn't have got the same or better results.... The answer: You don't because you are just one person with many variables! Same applies to the silly fats with carbs thing....

marmel75 said:
much of which was done after reading and researching various topics.
Unless you're researching on pubmed - how do you know what you're researching is actually backed by science?

You have glaringly outdated broscience theories for some of your advice - which shows you haven't really been paying attention to what's been discovered over the last few years.

marmel75 said:
For you to say high GI and low GI foods don't matter is an utterly ridiculous statement.
If im eating the same calories of each.... next to nothing...

I mean other than the fact that Yams/Sweet Potatoes have a MUCH better micro-nutrients (which are the same thing in america btw; only different in other africanized countries; most "yams" in an american grocery store are just sweet potatoes of a different name.)

And besides all the studies out that that find very little effects of GI. Don't you just see the flawed logic of it?

Testing what happens to blood sugar while FASTED and ONLY EATING that one item? Silly...

Who just picks up a piece of white bread in the morning and eats it by itself? You typically will mix it with other foods; proteins, fats... Which does what???? Blunts the effects the carb (by itself) would have on blood sugar.

A Arragon said:
GI gives us clues to the behavior of certain foods, but that's exactly the main point of this article. Clues; mere hints are all we get from our current knowledge of GI. Successful application of GI is most consistent when we use higher GI sources to enhance the speed of postworkout glycogenesis, and that's about it. Carb foods are better judged on the basis of degree processing, refinement, or alteration/removal of micronutrition -- NOT on the basis of GI, or even GL. This is as good a time as any to crush the folly of what I call "food discrimination". A prime example of this is cutting out potatoes on the basis of GI. This happens all the time, & the dieter takes pride in thinking he/she is being prudent. Well, the critical thing to realize here is that all food species in nature have unique nutrient profiles. Therefore, unique nutritional benefit can be derived from each species. The natural matrix of plant &/or animal tissue cannot be duplicated in the lab, & hence there are many unidentified beneficial agents in, say, the humble potato. As a matter of trivia, it surpasses bananas in potassium & vitamin C concentration. Not to mention, it provides default hydration, and of course is a great whole-food source of starch. The list goes on & on.

Satiety, micronutrient density, insulin response, & surrounding factors altering glucose kinetics are all much like a roll of the dice in terms of bottom-line certainty & reliability of GI. Like all things in science - especially the deep bubbly cauldron that is applied nutritional science - it ain't all that simple. All avenues in this area are winding & complex.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
For you to say high GI and low GI foods don't matter is an utterly ridiculous statement.
I do not eat high GI foods. My mom is a health-freak and is extremely GI conscience.

I'll tell you something. In February this year, I went to all the different buffets in the city and pigged out. At the end of that month I was at 250 lbs. Did not gain any weight.

Since I started with a PT program since March, I'm still at 250 lbs and my diet has been strict like crazy. But, the nutritionist is the guy who says eat 16 lamb chops for lunch, four cups of shrimp, etc... and says this is one portion. My gut feeling is the nutritionist I have doesn't know what the **** he is doing and my P.T. trainer is simply too weak and is not honest about how I'll get to my goals.

People on here have had to wait YEARS to get a major body over-haul -- how can anyone promise to get this done in a matter of months and claim a limited amount of sessions. So, I am really sold that there was never a realistic chance with this in the first place and I was buying into a fanasy that's really not real.

d!ckmojo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, its not complex science: if you do the right things, you'll get the right results.

Things like: Paleo diet, intermittent fasting, correct supplementation, lifting HEAVY weights routinely, absolute balls-to-the-wall intense burst training, train every day (don't lift heavy every day, but train every day, bar one rest day). Strict diet 6 days per week, 1 cheat day per week, limit your alcohol (it has more calories than protein and carbs).

Guaranteed you do the right things, you get the right results, within MONTHS dude, not years. But if you don't want to learn, and you don't want to implement, and you just try to outsource responsibility for your own body to other people, well don't be surprised when you don't get results, and frankly, I have no sympathy for you.

Groovy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey bro, what did the blood test show, exactly? Did u take a hormone test?

Anyway u must look different now. Even ur mom told u u looked better.

Let us know what's going on! Keep us updated.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
corrector said:
I am going to have to check my Body Mass Index. Now, before you all laugh at me (it's okay, I'd probably do the same if I were you), I have not checked the percentages of lean muscle mass to body fat. Prior to working out it was about 32% (some readings up to 35%). If this number is 25% or lower, then I'll be encouraged.

If it's between 26-29%, I may not be very happy with this, but it will show some movement in the right direction.

If it's above 30% then I have to cancel the rest of the training sessions.
What are you using to check your body fat? A lot of methods out there don't work at all. I had a digital scale that claimed to tell me body fat percentage if I programmed in my age and height. I had that scale when I started training jiu-jitsu. After one year of training, my weight was about the same, but I looked completely different, all chest and arms instead of gut. But my stupid scale still told me I had the same body fat percentage, because my weight was still the same.

I suggest that you take up boxing. It will burn off the gut. And you can punch anyone who calls you a "momma's boy." :D

don't

Don Juan
Reaction score
Boxing teaches you to do a lot of stupid stuff, like leave your thumb hanging out in space, hit with the little fingers, and disregard the lower body, except as a platform to get you within reach with your hands.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
What are you using to check your body fat? A lot of methods out there don't work at all. I had a digital scale that claimed to tell me body fat percentage if I programmed in my age and height. I had that scale when I started training jiu-jitsu. After one year of training, my weight was about the same, but I looked completely different, all chest and arms instead of gut. But my stupid scale still told me I had the same body fat percentage, because my weight was still the same.

I suggest that you take up boxing. It will burn off the gut. And you can punch anyone who calls you a "momma's boy." :D
This is the direction that my P.T. is suggesting that I go after these results. I'm going to be tested again today, by him and the machine at his gym this time. I was tested at another gym last Friday and have distrusted my P.T. since I got that reading.

He suggested to get boxing gloves and lighter running shoes. So, maybe there is a method to his madness after-all if you are vouching for this method. He would also be focusing to eliminate this gut under this new program.

I have not let this PT go yet, but am borderline to think about that today. He is saying that biking (what I love doing) is not helping.

What is your take on doing allot of biking, consuming water, less food, on the gut?