"Facebook"

WayOfTheDragon

Don Juan
Reaction score
This was a good video. Personally, I'm not, and have never been on Facebook. I'm 25 and the only person I know (from being told by others) that's not on the website.

I never tell people I'm not on Facebook, but when they find out, it adds a real mystery to me. It's seems as if some girls eyes light up when they ask and I say no, especially sense I'm an outgoing and social person.

Give it a shot and drop the site. I swear you can use it to your advantage.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in college and don't have a facebook. Impossible you say? No, I just understand stuff on the internet is written in ink. And if it's tied to your name, well good luck with that.

And I agree with the mystery thing, although when girls ask for my facebook I say, "don't have one, give me your number instead and maybe we'll hang out sometime." Boom done. Easy. Of course, I never save their number because I'm not interested at all 90% of the time.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't watch the video because I'm at work (USAF), and I'm sure that prisonplanet is blocked. Don't really feel like finding out either.

WayOfTheDragon said:
This was a good video. Personally, I'm not, and have never been on Facebook. I'm 25 and the only person I know (from being told by others) that's not on the website.

I never tell people I'm not on Facebook, but when they find out, it adds a real mystery to me. It's seems as if some girls eyes light up when they ask and I say no, especially sense I'm an outgoing and social person.

Give it a shot and drop the site. I swear you can use it to your advantage.
I'm the same way. The girl I'm dating loves that I don't have a facebook, it does indeed add alot of mystery. It gives me a reason for her to come over and "look at my pictures".

It saves alot of time because I'm not mindlessly browsing through people's life. I enjoy finding out about people from themselves.

It also stops me from the pretentious act of building up an online persona. It stops me from getting all jealous and insecure from reading comments and seeing photos that may potentially make me jealous.

And it gives me a reason to write PHYSICAL letters through snail mail to women. This is ALOT more personal and intriguing to a woman than a lame message/IM.

Desert Fox said:
I'm in college and don't have a facebook. Impossible you say? No, I just understand stuff on the internet is written in ink. And if it's tied to your name, well good luck with that.

And I agree with the mystery thing, although when girls ask for my facebook I say, "don't have one, give me your number instead and maybe we'll hang out sometime." Boom done. Easy. Of course, I never save their number because I'm not interested at all 90% of the time.
BINGO. This is what I was looking for! +1 rep

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, same here. I tried it once because I had some acquaintances tell me that it was great, but all I saw was a waste of time.

It is like that quote "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."

Here are some of my thoughts after watching that video:

Internet addiction is a problem for many. It rewards areas of the brain and promotes behaviors that although common in the online world, are maladjusted in the real world. It also leads to the “gibbering nit-wit syndrome” and lower attention span. Like any other addiction, it destroys lives and the addicted does not realize the full peril of their situation.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When the telephone was invented centuries ago, it was feared that people would stop leaving their homes to talk to anyone and society would crumble. A century later, the late science fiction author Douglas Adams once wrote, "1) Everything that’s already in the world when you’re born is just normal; 2) Anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it; 3) Anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really."

Yes, computers and smartphones are rewiring the neurological pathways of the brain, but so is everything else in this world. Evolutionary biologist PZ Myers, of the University of Minnesota, Morris, once wrote:
Baroness Susan Greenfield has been spouting off some bad neuroscience, I'm afraid. She's on an anti-social-networking-software, anti-computer-games, anti-computer crusade that sounds a bit familiar — it's just like the anti-TV tirades I've heard for 40-some years — and a little bit new — computers are bad because they are "changing the workings of the brain". Ooooh.

But to put that in perspective, the brain is a plastic organ that is supposed to rewire itself in response to experience. It's what they do. The alternative is to have a fixed reaction pattern that doesn't improve itself, which would be far worse. Greenfield is throwing around neuroscientific jargon to scare people.

So yes, using computers all the time and chatting in the comments sections of weird web sites will modify the circuitry of the brain and have consequences that will affect the way you think. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the text boxes on this site. However, there are events that will scramble your brains even more: for example, falling in love. I don't want to imagine the frantic rewiring that has to go on inside your head in response to that, or the way it can change the way you see the entire rest of the world, for good or bad, for the whole of your life... Will Baroness Greenfield give up her book-writin', lecturin' ways to fire-harden a pointy stick, don a burlap bag, and dedicate her life to hunting rabbits?
I also don't like how people loosely throw around the word 'addiction,' which is properly defined as the inability to stop a behavior in spite of pervasive negative consequences, and I'm skeptical Internet addiction even exists. Heavy usage is not the same thing as addiction. What happens to most people when the power goes out, cell phone receptivity drops, or when someone is invited to a dinner?—why, they go out and socialize. Not everyone is highly sociable, either. It's a difference in personality. They certainly might benefit from putting down their smartphones and force themselves to be more engaging, but it's not for you to ride on some righteous high horse and claim they have an 'addiction'.
It destroys lives and the addicted does not realize the full peril of their situation.
Humor me. What is the full peril of their situation?

U

user43770

Facebook leads to feelings of jealousy and vanity - neither is healthy.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I deleted mine about 4 years ago, so I'm good.

by the way, I didn't realize there were so many hotties in Japan... I'm going to have to make a special trip there :)

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
Facebook leads to feelings of jealousy and vanity - neither is healthy.
This is true for SOME but this whole post is speaking for the masses...again. It was the same way with Myspace (remember that?) but face book is on a much larger scale. Social networking is more than just an ego trip. I keep touch with my family members, some of whom live over seas, most of whom live at least across the country from me. It's nice to see pictures of my little cousins as they enter college and being able to talk to view video of my grand parents in their golden years all in the same place.

But forget about all that. Social media is gaining a bigger foot hole in the work place. If any of you have any interest in some form of marketing, it's almost essential for you to have involvement in some form of social media. The vice president of marketing for the company I work for called face book a "living resume" because it displays how well you interact with the masses.

Yes if you use facebook for the sole purpose of pretending you have friends then you likely have some problems. But like anything else, it's all a matter of what you do with the equipment and time you're offered that makes you a productive person or leaves you a waste of space.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Giving your facebook to a woman is giving a woman information about yourself WHICH SHE SHOULD EARN!

This is something men need to get into their heads. If a woman wants to learn about you she shouldn't be given easy and free access to your life just by going to your facebook page.

If a woman wants to get to know you she needs to spend time alone with you to do it. That's how it should work. Instead guys kill off any mystery whatsoever about them by giving it away for free now a days on places like facebook.

Let women earn the right to know you. Let her accept going out with you and spending time with you to know you rather than letting her look at a facebook page.

Make her pay for your information with her time.

U

user43770

PRMoon said:
This is true for SOME but this whole post is speaking for the masses...again. It was the same way with Myspace (remember that?) but face book is on a much larger scale. Social networking is more than just an ego trip. I keep touch with my family members, some of whom live over seas, most of whom live at least across the country from me. It's nice to see pictures of my little cousins as they enter college and being able to talk to view video of my grand parents in their golden years all in the same place.

But forget about all that. Social media is gaining a bigger foot hole in the work place. If any of you have any interest in some form of marketing, it's almost essential for you to have involvement in some form of social media. The vice president of marketing for the company I work for called face book a "living resume" because it displays how well you interact with the masses.

Yes if you use facebook for the sole purpose of pretending you have friends then you likely have some problems. But like anything else, it's all a matter of what you do with the equipment and time you're offered that makes you a productive person or leaves you a waste of space.

I never said that Facebook didn't have its benefits; it definitely makes it easier for people to keep in touch. That's the catch, though - I was keeping in touch with more people than I knew what to do with. I would see some of these people in person and I didn't know what to say to them...I knew that they had 2 kids and a job at Staples, though. You see what I'm saying? I knew too much.

PRMoon said:
This is true for SOME
Yes. Maybe I'm one of the few who look at other people's profiles and compare myself to them. Maybe I'm in the minority when I get jealous of xxxx for making more money than me; for having a hotter girl than me; for attending a better school than me. Yeah fvcking right. This is what EVERYBODY on Facebook does. Nobody is immune to feelings of jealousy and vanity. Maybe you, but that's it.

I do understand the promotion aspect, though. More power to you. If I ever come to Lost Wages, Nevada, I'll hit you up.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just so you know TyTe'EyEz, I wasn't picking on you. Your post just seemed the most appropriate for my rebutle. I'm very sure that I'm in the minority with my thinking in terms of facebook, and that really is a shame. I supose it's that same thinking that keeps me so well employed and in demand in Nevada's otherwise horrible work environment. Thinking outside the box with "trendy" material is a quality not easily earned or subsequently well received.

If you ever make it out here be sure to look me up. I'm well on my way to becoming an executive, I might be able to get you an upgrade.:up: