Execising While Sick...

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, this is bothering me so I hope someone answers fairly quickly...sorry if that sounds selfish. I want to know if it's a good idea to lift weights (bench press, barbell curls....) when you have a cold. Does it affect you in anyway? I just want to make sure because I really want to exercise, but I also really want this cold to go away ASAP. Will exercise affect it?

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People don't realise that it can actually be dangerous for a number of reasons. One being anything that elevates your heart rate when you have a cold can lead to serious heart problems.

It's rare, but is well documented. So take it easy.

See it as an opportunity to have a break, review your goals and rebuild.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alpine
People don't realise that it can actually be dangerous for a number of reasons. One being anything that elevates your heart rate when you have a cold can lead to serious heart problems.

It's rare, but is well documented. So take it easy.

See it as an opportunity to have a break, review your goals and rebuild.
second that

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your more basic concern is this. When you workout you stress your body and give it the need to recover. When you are ill your body is stressed and trying to recover. Adding exercise recovery on top of that illness can be too much, and generally is just going to slow down your illness AND exercise recovery. Give it a few days. You will be fine.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Although you shouldnt do your normal exercise regime, I suggest you move a little anzway, not much, maybe take a walk or something in that range.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm well im recovering from bronchitis cold i got last week and have been working out on my regular routine, dont see any problems there, energetic as always.

i'd say just make sure to eat enough and sleep enough.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to take a little break when i got sick but most of the time started working out before i had fully recovered. I wouldnt do that again though. Lets say youre ill like 2 weeks per year...the really little muscle/strength you lose in those 2 weeks (probably like a rep on each lift) if u keep eating enough protein can be regained in 2 weeks at the most....so youd lose one month of possible bulking per year...and if ur goal is to get a muscular body which u take lets say 4 years to build it'll take u 4 friggin months longer and you wont risk anything serious...like an inflammation of your heart or something like that which can really happen if ure unlucky... take me as an example I had a slight cold at the end of last summer cause i got hammered like crazy once and slept outside (lol)...which turned into a sinusitis(an inflammation) which worked its way up to my thyroids which have been inflammed as a sort of reaction to this and as a result i have to take medication for the rest of my life (but with that medication which doesnt have side affects at all Ill live a completely normal life and nothing will have changed..so its all good in the end).....just cause I drank a bit too much the other day (and actually im the guy who always just gets tipsy while my friends drink twice as much as me on average lol)...**** can happen that quickly...

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by i am me
Okay, this is bothering me so I hope someone answers fairly quickly...sorry if that sounds selfish. I want to know if it's a good idea to lift weights (bench press, barbell curls....) when you have a cold. Does it affect you in anyway? I just want to make sure because I really want to exercise, but I also really want this cold to go away ASAP. Will exercise affect it?

No it's not a good idea to work out while you're sick. Think of it the same way when you're building muscle. Recovery and rebuilding occurs via resting your body, not when you work it.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you stress your body physically or mentally, your immune system suffers. If you exercise while sick, you stress your body, and your immune system doesnt recover. Because of that, you stay sicker for longer then you should, and you have piss poor workouts, and dont make any gains.

When you're sick - BACK OFF. Keep up your meal plans like you're still working out, take in lots of vitamin C, supplement with Glutamine (glutamine improves your immune system and prevents muscles from breaking down from inactivity). Then once you're back to normal, go back to the gym.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ahaha u guys are probably right.

My bronchitis cold FINALLY seems to be recovering, and i've had it for about 2 weeks now...been working out all that while too.

But i dont like the idea of taking breaks, or else i would revert me to my lazy self again when i slacked off from routine workouts last year....

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
taking a break is one of the most important aspects of serious weight training. you really probably should have stopped weight lifting this whole time.

to be perfectly honest id run myself into the ground if i didnt take break every 8 to 10 weeks. take some time to rest. sounds like you need it.

namewitheld

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have had a cold myself this last two weeks and have been training as normal because of the fear of becoming lazy and because I like it. But will take a break now.

MY question concerns running during winter. Does running outdoors during a cold spell increase the chances of getting colds/flu any more say then just being out of doors?

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when you say a cold, if you just have a stuffy nose and are basicly feeling fine then excersize should not be a problem. IBut if you feel ill or weak then avoid doing any excersize.