Endurance problem when lifting

hb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Recently Ive been doing pyramids.sets consisiting of reps 10,9,8,....,up until 4,increasing the weight after every set by 10lbs. I've noticed that by the time i finish 7, im usually finished. Some of you may suggest less weight. The thing is I know kids that are much smaller than me, that cant lift as heavy as i can, that can complete this workout while I just hit failure after half way..... Any suggestions?(or explanations)

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you using the same weight as the other kids? Or are you going heavier than them?

If you are using the same weight as the other kids, then, the way I have it understood is that there's both muscular strength and endurance. You may be stronger than them, but they can lift longer than you can. If you want more muscular endurance, then you can do more reps at lower weights, and if you are after strength you do lower reps at higher weights.

hb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i am seeking size and strength. I just feel like i am working out for no reason if i do not have any endurance. oo and we use the same weight and this kid is about 40lbs lighter than me and has no mass or cuts

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
try to do something like 4x6 or 5x5 at a 6 RM max (ie the weight that you would have to struggle to put up the 6th time) to gain strength. I think the pyramid protocol is pre fatiging you?

greater than 10or 12 reps is more for endurance

8 reps or less is strength

IMO, you have to pick one during you workout

your looking to increase neuromuscular recuirtment, thats why the smaller guys can lift the same amount as their able to use more muscle fibers to lift the weight

Suggestion, pick up the NSCA " essentials of strength and conditioning " by Baechle and Earle from Human Kinetics. A great book, well worth the 60 bucks...